What time do you prefer to get up in the morning?

I used to go to a Chinese takeaway that had no air conditioning; just the exhaust fans over the woks. On hot Summer days when it would get above 35°C, the cooks and counter staff would drink a lukewarm tea made of some kind of young bamboo shoots and roots. I couldn't understand how they could drink something warm when the temp by the woks had to be 46°, but they said it cooled them down. It must work because I would have melted in such a place, but they were fine working 12 hour days, day after day.
Yes I know about this - it's due to sweating i.e. evaporation. I would rather avoid this and cool down with a cold drink! Works for me. :okay:

A Hot Drink on a Hot Day Can Cool You Down
A rigorous experiment revealed that on a hot, dry day, drinking a hot beverage can help your body stay cool

By Joseph Stromberg
SMITHSONIAN.COM
JULY 10, 2012
pretty much the whole country. As we pondered the fact that this sort of weather could well become the norm in future decades due to climate change, we also remembered a counterintuitive cooling technique that many of us had heard of but doubted. In many countries around the world, conventional wisdom says that you can cool down on a hot day by drinking a hot beverage.

We got in touch with Ollie Jay, a researcher at University of Ottawa’s School of Human Kinetics—and an expert in all things sweat-related—to ask a pressing question: is this claim for real? His Thermal Ergonomics Lab, it turned out, had published a study on this topic just a few months ago.

Their answer, in short: Yes, a hot drink can cool you down, but only in specific circumstances. “If you drink a hot drink, it does result in a lower amount of heat stored inside your body, provided the additional sweat that’s produced when you drink the hot drink can evaporate,” Jay says.

How does this work? “What we found is that when you ingest a hot drink, you actually have a disproportionate increase in the amount that you sweat,” Jay says. “Yes, the hot drink is hotter than your body temperature, so you are adding heat to the body, but the amount that you increase your sweating by—if that can all evaporate—more than compensates for the the added heat to the body from the fluid.”

The increased rate of perspiration is the key. Although sweat may seem like a nuisance, the body perspires for a very good reason. When sweat evaporates from the skin, energy is absorbed into the air as part of the reaction, thereby cooling the body. A larger amount of sweat means more cooling, which more than counteracts the small amount of heat contained in a hot beverage relative to the entire body.

The caveat, though, is that all that extra sweat produced as a result of the hot drink actually has to evaporate for it to have a cooling effect. “On a very hot and humid day, if you’re wearing a lot of clothing, or if you’re having so much sweat that it starts to drip on the ground and doesn’t evaporate from the skin’s surface, then drinking a hot drink is a bad thing,” Jay says. “The hot drink still does add a little heat to the body, so if the sweat’s not going to assist in evaporation, go for a cold drink.”

Read more: http://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/a-hot-drink-on-a-hot-day-can-cool-you-down-
You could have saved yourself a lot of time and energy here since you are arguing a different point and one that I didn't raise. I was talking about cold drinks and I see that you can't debate that point any further since I nailed it!

You could have saved yourself a lot of time and energy here since you are arguing a different point and one that I didn't raise. I was talking about cold drinks and I see that you can't debate that point any further since I nailed it!
I only said a hot drink would cool you down better than a cold one. Which you found doubtful.

I only said a hot drink would cool you down better than a cold one. Which you found doubtful.
No you went further than this...you said that a cold drink would make your body warmer - (previous page, i.e. page 2 your post # 19).
I have explained how this thinking is misguided.

This came up on another thread. Now, I know that many of you have to get up early for work or because of kids - but here I'm referring to your preferred time to get up. For me its late - preferably after 10 am. My partner here, however, gets up earlier and earlier since he retired and goes to bed at the obscenely early hour (to me) of 9.30 pm! I'm usually up until 1.30 a.m.

So, left to your own devices when would you get up in the morning (or afternoon!)? Has this changed as you got older. And what time do you go to bed?
I generally rise late in the morning after getting a few hours of sleep then catch up with long nap in the afternoon.

Yes I know about this - it's due to sweating i.e. evaporation. I would rather avoid this and cool down with a cold drink! Works for me. :okay:

I'm not sure if it also had to do with what was in the drink. It looked like they were simmering scallions in a pot, but the lady at the counter said that they were a special type of young bamboo.

No you went further than this...you said that a cold drink would make your body warmer - (previous page, i.e. page 2 your post # 19).
I have explained how this thinking is misguided.
Copyright prevents the whole article being copied. But what I said, I stand by.

When the air temperature reaches the mid 60's, I'll be easy spot. I'll be the one with the cuppa in my hand.

It's 27c here, there's a t-shirt, shirt and sweatshirt on. When I go out the bodywarmer will be going on. Should it get warm, there's always the opportunity to remove one of them.

I'm not sure if it also had to do with what was in the drink. It looked like they were simmering scallions in a pot, but the lady at the counter said that they were a special type of young bamboo.
Some types(bamboo) if they're too old don't have the same nutrients in them. Can affect the taste.

They looked like woody scallions or spring onions with heavy, corn stalk like roots.

Copyright prevents the whole article being copied. But what I said, I stand by.

When the air temperature reaches the mid 60's, I'll be easy spot. I'll be the one with the cuppa in my hand.

It's 27c here, there's a t-shirt, shirt and sweatshirt on. When I go out the bodywarmer will be going on. Should it get warm, there's always the opportunity to remove one of them.
You just made me laugh. I regret to inform you but 27C Is not anywhere close to hot. That is a nice comfortable temperature. It was hotter than that here last night when we went to bed.
Today is supposed to get to about 37C.

Most chili cook offs here are held mid-summer. So are BBQ cookoffs.

You just made me laugh. I regret to inform you but 27C Is not anywhere close to hot. That is a nice comfortable temperature. It was hotter than that here last night when we went to bed.
Today is supposed to get to about 37C.

Most chili cook offs here are held mid-summer. So are BBQ cookoffs.
Never said it was warm, let alone hot. That's why I included the piece "should it get warm".

Back
Top Bottom