What type of onions do you use?

The ones we make are thin sliced and only pickle for a few hours before use.

They are basically used as a garnish on dishes. See page 9 of the dinner thread, our meatball tacos.

2018-03-13 07.51.53.jpg

Last edited:
I usually use either brown or red onions and will always have some at home. Most things I cook start with an onion or two!
I'll also use green onions (not spring onions, but exactly like a brown onion but been instead!), white onions, and spring onions when a recipe calls for it, or in the case of green and white onions if they are currently cheaper than brown (sometimes they are). Plus I grow purple spring onions (along with green, white and brown onions) to add a little colour to salads.

Shallots and I have an interesting relationship. If it is a new recipe that calls for them, I'll buy them and try it but often next time around I'll substitute them for another cheaper onion type unless it's a special occasion or in making the dish for someone else. Finances mean shallots are a luxury not a necessity.

I usually use brown skinned ones for cooking and in salads and sandwiches. I also use red ones for cooking, especially if it is a dish where the liquid needs a bit of colour (it usually looks like a thin gravy colour-wise but depends what herbs and spices are used with it), and spring onions when they are in season in salads and also some international dishes (especially Chinese).
Sliced Onions with brown coat is better than this if we boil to the core

If a recipe doesn't state the type, I use brown for standard casseroles and things which need that strong taste and more 'British things'. I use equal amounts though weekly of red onions, and generally they are my 'go to' as I love the more subtle flavour and colour they add. Shallots(chopped or whole) and smaller white onions and spring onions I also use.

Back
Top Bottom