What type of skewer do you use and why?

You probably won't believe this but it's true. I use a Uri Gellar fork to prick the skin prior to putting it inth'oven but I have to hold the fork about 20 mm from the points to prevent it bending.

You know, I think you have a 'thing' going on here with these potatoes. They really don't need that much forking!

Do they? :D:scratchhead:

You know, I think you have a 'thing' going on here with these potatoes. They really don't need that much forking!

Do they? :D:scratchhead:

I have no idea how many "pricks" are necessary to prevent the skin bursting or even if it needs any at all. I've always done it as did my mother and grandmother before me. Just a habit I guess.

Sausages are the same. I'll probably fork a 120 mm long sausage about 20 times (x 4 pronged fork) before frying.

I have no idea how many "pricks" are necessary to prevent the skin bursting or even if it needs any at all. I've always done it as did my mother and grandmother before me. Just a habit I guess.

Sausages are the same. I'll probably fork a 120 mm long sausage about 20 times (x 4 pronged fork) before frying.
Yep! You've got a 'thing' going. Potatoes don't need pricking at all unless microwaving. Sausage maybe but not that much!

Yep! You've got a 'thing' going. Potatoes don't need pricking at all unless microwaving. Sausage maybe but not that much!

I usually give my spuds a quick blast in the microwave (1½ minutes per spud depending upon size) to get them started prior to putting them in the oven. I don't know why I do this either.

I usually give my spuds a quick blast in the microwave (1½ minutes per spud depending upon size) to get them started prior to putting them in the oven. I don't know why I do this either.
:D I blast them for 10 mins in the microwave. This cuts cooking time in the oven in half. I don't think 1½ minutes will make much difference.

I tend to put my spuds in a steamer. Or coat them in bacon grease, wrap in foil and bake.
Or do the bacon grease, wrap, half bake, freeze then later either steam or finish baking them.

:D I blast them for 10 mins in the microwave. This cuts cooking time in the oven in half. I don't think 1½ minutes will make much difference.

Are we talking the same here? If I have 4 small potatoes, I microwave them for 90 seconds each, i.e. a total of 6 minutes. If there are 6 then it would be 9 minutes. For medium size potatoes, I would microwave them for 2 minutes or more each. We don't get many large potatoes here.

[My idea of small would be around 125 gms; medium around 200 gms]

Are we talking the same here? If I have 4 small potatoes, I microwave them for 90 seconds each, i.e. a total of 6 minutes. If there are 6 then it would be 9 minutes. For medium size potatoes, I would microwave them for 2 minutes or more each. We don't get many large potatoes here.

[My idea of small would be around 125 gms; medium around 200 gms]
I'm talking about HUGE ones. I then roast them for 20 mins. So really the cooking time is much less than half.

More extensively pricked jacket potatoes.

[I shall be having one of those this evening with my pan fried gammon]

Last edited:
I almost always use wooden skewers for a few reasons. First of all because they're really cheap. I can buy a bag of like 50 for a few bucks. Also, they're disposable so there are less dishes to do once all the fun is done. The only downside I can see, which has been mentioned a few times here, is that they do have to be soaked and watched so that they don't burn.

I almost always use wooden skewers for a few reasons. First of all because they're really cheap. I can buy a bag of like 50 for a few bucks. Also, they're disposable so there are less dishes to do once all the fun is done. The only downside I can see, which has been mentioned a few times here, is that they do have to be soaked and watched so that they don't burn.
Well, certainly the disposable side is certainly good! Are you using them on a barbecue or under a grill (broiler in the US) or how?

Another advantage of wooden skewers is that if you are bored you can play a game of "pick up sticks". Admittedly it needs a little more concentration given that the sticks are all the same colour.

pickupsticks s.jpg

Back
Top Bottom