• Flageolet

Votes: 3 42.9%

• Total voters

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
7:53 PM
The results of the recent mini poll Do you eat tinned (canned) food? showed that our top 4 choices for tinned food are Tomatoes (92.3%), Beans and pulses (84.6%), Soup (76.9%), Fish/shellfish (76.9%)

Tomatoes - hardly surprising as tinned tomatoes are so useful in all kinds of sauces and stews. In second place came beans and pulses. I was wondering if this was a reflection on the popularity of Baked Beans or whether people were buying other types of tinned beans - hence this poll. I've based the choices on what can be obtained in UK supermarkets - but please mention any other beans if they are not on the list. I haven't included tinned lentils or other pulses such as chickpeas in this poll. But please mention them too, if you buy them.

My personal favourite is black beans which have a wonderful smoky taste and look so glossy, black and dramatic!

I don't buy tinned lentils, but I do buy chickpeas. Out of all the types of bean listed, I buy fewer tins of baked beans than all the others. I only use baked beans when I have egg and bacon, or occasionally bangers and mash (prefer onion gravy!). The mutt eats more baked beans than I do. :D

Besides Heinz baked beans ( "Beanz meanz Heinz !") and kidney beans for a chilli; I sometimes buy a can of mixed beans, if I am mixing them with salad ingredients.

I buy tinned lentils as well as beans. But I also cook from dried. I haven't tried black beans yet so will have to get some.

Beans in tins are a good store-cupboard ingredient. I usually keep baked beans and either cannelloni or flageolet. Ann easy recipe is chorizo with garlic and beans.

We can get them here too if you mean sausages mixed in. My daughter used to really like them when she was little.
No. Not beanie weenies. This is beans with little chunks of pork fat in them.

Campbell's pork 'n' beans used to be available in UK. Both Heinz and Branston produce baked beans with little pork sausages (weenies?).

My daughter always used to like baked beans with pork sausages in too, when she was little. I supposed it was because the sausages used to be soft. I prefer my sausages and beans cooked separately. The thought of beans with little pieces of pork fat in them does not appeal at all.

When I was conned into my overnight stay in hospital here, the evening meal was khow tom moo (boiled rice with pork) which I doubt ever saw any pork.

Boiled rice here is like a thin rice soup - basically rice boiled in a lot of water. Steamed rice is the cooked rice as everyone else knows it.

rice.jpg

Back
Top Bottom