What's the longest you've gone without cooking?

ChanellG

Guru
Local time
6:51 AM
I have been so busy the past couple months that I can not remember the last time I actually cooked anything from scratch. It's been so hot this summer that I barely want to eat anything, so I have had a lot of fruit, eaten out at least once or twice per week (especially lunch when I first started the new job), and I've even resorted to freezer food to save time.

I'm more likely to prepare something for breakfast than dinner; what's the longest you've gone without any real cooking?

I think when we had our baby was probably the biggest stretch of time, we went a few weeks there without cooking. The sheer exhaustion at the start really left us feeling like cooking was the last thing we had on our mind! We were fortunate that we had friends and neighbors bring us home cooked meals though!

I am guessing in recent years maybe a week. If I go back decades ago when I had a life and went on holidays maybe three weeks while holidaying. I don't know the last year that I did not cook on a Sunday(unless I am traveling). It seems to be expected of me whether I want to or not. Even when I've been invited to lunch on a Sunday I still find myself cooking especially for the benefit of my mother-in-law who's not very well. The recent misses are those weeks when I leave for work early morning and return home late at night.

Probably during the last week or so when I got flooded out of my home. The cooking facilities are okay in the temporary abode - good enough for a nice cauliflower curry today.

I think the longest break from cooking that I've taken has probably been a two-week stretch. When I'm sick, I don't even want to think about food smells, or be around them, so I tend to live on crackers and soup, or maybe some bread or cereal. I always miss it, though, and am happy when I can get back in the kitchen and create something delicious.

The longest I have ever gone without cooking something was like a week because we were very busy. That week we mostly ate fast food and easy to prepare foods. I felt so sick after that I plan ahead now and make food that we can freeze for later reheating.

When my husband took over the kitchen - due to my disastrous cooking adventures, hahahaaa - I have been free of the cooking chore for sometime since I only cook when he is not around. But last night, there was an unexpected guest regarding the car battery so I had to attend the cooking of the steak. Not broiled but fried. So I did. When the guest left, my husband said the steak is not done yet because the gravy that came out looked very red. Huh, that's a neat lesson.

I think when we had our baby was probably the biggest stretch of time, we went a few weeks there without cooking. The sheer exhaustion at the start really left us feeling like cooking was the last thing we had on our mind! We were fortunate that we had friends and neighbors bring us home cooked meals though!

That is very fortunate! My neighbor is about to have her first baby and I've been thinking of what I should give her. Maybe a basket of goodies will be the thing since she'll have plenty of baby stuff. Her mother is coming to be there for the delivery and help her out in the first weeks of new motherhood, so she won't need help with meals.

I am guessing in recent years maybe a week. If I go back decades ago when I had a life and went on holidays maybe three weeks while holidaying. I don't know the last year that I did not cook on a Sunday(unless I am traveling). It seems to be expected of me whether I want to or not. Even when I've been invited to lunch on a Sunday I still find myself cooking especially for the benefit of my mother-in-law who's not very well. The recent misses are those weeks when I leave for work early morning and return home late at night.

I find that if I am going to do anything at all it's going to be in the morning. I just gave a friend some veggies so they wouldn't go bad because I haven't been up to cooking in the evenings when I get home from work and I was afraid they would go bad. I get up very early (today I woke up at 4! No point in trying to go back to sleep for less than an hour...), work at home for about an hour, hit the garden, get ready for work, and then I am outdoors in the heat for 8 hours.

It's nice of you to cook for your mother-in-law!

Probably during the last week or so when I got flooded out of my home. The cooking facilities are okay in the temporary abode - good enough for a nice cauliflower curry today.

Oh, dear! Nothing too bad I hope; it's the 10th anniversary of Katrina here... flooded homes are the ultimate of inconvenience!

Probably the first 25 years of my life! I was totally clueless. Couldn't even boil an egg.

That's funny! When I was young, my mother gave me a book, "How to boil water." I was highly insulted as I already knew how to cook, lol.

I think the longest break from cooking that I've taken has probably been a two-week stretch. When I'm sick, I don't even want to think about food smells, or be around them...

I can relate to that. When I am sick, quite often the only thing I want is broth.

The longest I have ever gone without cooking something was like a week because we were very busy. That week we mostly ate fast food and easy to prepare foods. I felt so sick after that I plan ahead now and make food that we can freeze for later reheating.

I have given up fast food once and for all and I am trying to stick with it so the closest I'll come to that is a Subway sandwich for lunch. I have been taking fruit to work and eating that all day because it's just been to hot to have anything heavier, but sometimes I will just have a snack and wait until dinner to eat something. Between my schedule and the heat, it's amazing I haven't lost at least 10 pounds!

When my husband took over the kitchen - due to my disastrous cooking adventures, hahahaaa - I have been free of the cooking chore for sometime since I only cook when he is not around. But last night, there was an unexpected guest regarding the car battery so I had to attend the cooking of the steak. Not broiled but fried. So I did. When the guest left, my husband said the steak is not done yet because the gravy that came out looked very red. Huh, that's a neat lesson.

If I had a husband I would have a reason to cook more. I would likely cook a lot of food on my day off and then put it in the fridge for the days ahead until my next day off - I get two, but they are not together so it would work out. I enjoy cooking, but when I am only cooking for myself I will often skip it in favor of something simple that won't take much time to prepare.

the past 12 days have not cooked at all ,normally we go to gites in France and cook for friends and family,but we just ate out !!! this time in the sun

That is very fortunate! My neighbor is about to have her first baby and I've been thinking of what I should give her. Maybe a basket of goodies will be the thing since she'll have plenty of baby stuff. Her mother is coming to be there for the delivery and help her out in the first weeks of new motherhood, so she won't need help with meals.

I'm sure anything you think of will be appreciated by them - we were just so thankful that there were people that cared enough to think of us!

Our neighbors also just had a little boy a couple of weeks back! It's baby central in our area lately!

Back
Top Bottom