What's your fave entree and main?

I'm with ya, mg.
I can't wait until our next trip to Florida. The last time we were there, we each ate a dozen Gulf oysters and shrimp everyday for a week and still never tired of them.

My favourite starter would be fat juicy prawns cooked in garlic butter with crusty bread for dipping.

My main would vary at the moment would be roast beef with red wine gravy, roast potatoes, cauliflower cheese and greens beans with horseradish on the side

Potatoes Dauphinoise is a favorite here as well. Hard decision. I like so many dishes, but lean toward surf and turf. The starter/appetizer depends on the meal, and what's in Season.

Prime rib w au jus and horseradish/crème fraiche.

A fave restaurant served prime rib with Yorkshire pudding, creamed corn or creamed spinach or a baked potato with sour cream. Trifle or cheesecake for dessert.

Strawberry Shortcake.

Lobster

Seafood paella

Love shrimp scampi. Try it with lobster instead of shrimp.

Lobster scampi
http://www.cookingforkeeps.com/easy-lobster-scampi-with-linguini/

Linguine and clams.

Thanksgiving dinner. Roast turkey, dressing and all the sides.

All things salmon, crab, snapper.

Last edited:
Too many to choose one. One of my favorite meals (main) is sauerbraten mitt kartoffelklosse und rotkohl. My oma made this often. I only make it once a year. This is so filling, no starter or dessert needed. Well I guess if you count beer as a started, there you go.:cheers:

Excellent ! We need more German to be spoken on the forum.

Rotkohl I can unpick (red cabbage, I guess), and kartoffel is potato - but kartoffelklosse ???

Potato dumplings, about the size of a ball used to play boules. Maybe a little smaller. My oma stuffed them with celery, onion and herb bread cubes that had been sauteed in butter. She/I always made extras. They are great sliced and fried in butter for breakfast. Rotkohl is a sort of sweet and sour red cabbage, of which every oma has their own twist.

Last edited:
Potato dumplings, about the size of a ball used to play boules. Maybe a little smaller. My oma stuffed them with celery, onion and herb bread cubes that had been sauteed in butter

They sound great - good autumn/winter food. I shall google some recipes for these, I think. As I'm mostly vegetarian, anything that helps me to fill me up in the really cold months (and which tastes good) is always of interest. And these look like just the job. Thanks

That potato/celery combination you mentioned has also just reminded me of a Tuscan dish that I used to make 20-odd years ago. Yet more googling, I think ...

They sound great - good autumn/winter food. I shall google some recipes for these, I think. As I'm mostly vegetarian, anything that helps me to fill me up in the really cold months (and which tastes good) is always of interest. And these look like just the job. Thanks

That potato/celery combination you mentioned has also just reminded me of a Tuscan dish that I used to make 20-odd years ago. Yet more googling, I think ...

The filling is basically what my oma used for dressing on Thanksgiving Day. Poultry seasoning was also used in the filling, but rubbed sage would work. The secret to the kartoffelklosse is to bake the potatoes, not boil, and put them through a ricer. That goes for gnocchi as well. You'll need less flour!

What I almost always ask for on my birthday is a Cesar salad, stone crab claws with mustard sauce, and a Dobos torte, which I have to make myself as Craig doesn't bake. Of course, this past year, I asked to go to a chain restaurant that makes mussels in a lemon butter cream sauce with a little Pernod in it. We had fried calamari as a starter, plus their rustic bread with an EVOO/various herb/spice/garlic dip. I have copycat recipes for the mussels and the dip that are nearly perfect, but who wants to cook on their birthday? I was too full for dessert.

Excellent ! We need more German to be spoken on the forum.
?

A buddy of mine served in the US military in Germany years ago. After he had been dating a local girl for a while and they started to think of marriage, it was time to meet her parents.

Thinking he could break the ice by telling the father American jokes in German, he came out with, "Ich bin gerade aus Chicago eingeflogen, und mensch! Meine Arme sind mude..."

"Sind mude"...

He said you could hear the crickets in the yard as her father just glared at him and went inside.

Mmmm, well @buckytom ….I've probably pushed the use of non-English as far I dare in this forum, and I think you've been pushing the line on innuendo too, so the only sensible reply to you that I can come up with is one that pushes a third taboo, by suggesting that the Germans really have no sense of humour.

I guess I chose the worst possible day of the year on which to wind up Madame Glory....

Back
Top Bottom