What's your favorite appetizer to make?

The classic prosciutto-wrapped melon slices are always nice (sprinkle melon with a small amount of fresh cracked black pepper for a nice touch), as well are fresh cherry tomatoes skewered on to sliced rounds of bocconcini cheese (w/ toothpicks), then drizzled with a tasty, aged balsamic vinegar.
&, I will admit, I'm still a big fan (and probably always will be) of making platters of 'cracker sandwich' apps, lol. I'll use Triscuits, Wheat Thins, saltines, or Ritz crackers, & just a few of the ingredient combos I'll put on them include:

-hummus, a slice of dry sausage (mild or hot), & a slice of dill or sweet pickle
-a dab of salsa, a slice of mango or avocado, a dash of your favorite hot-sauce on top, & a sprig of cilantro
-a squirt of mustard (some European mustards are really nice), a slice of ham, topped with a slice of (various) cheese
And, one of my all time favorites:
-a dab of Brie cheese, a slice of Granny Smith apple, topped with a candied walnut or a walnut & a squirt of honey or maple syrup (even better!)

I'm looking forward to checking out the ideas that appear here. Good luck to everyone with their appetizers this yuletide season!

Reactions: L_B
I like portabello mushrooms stuffed with cheese, diced bacon ,garlic and the chopped mushroom stalks then baked. Although it's very retro, prawn cocktail always goes down well too.

Chips and dip is always great. If I'm having spaghetti, my appetizer is salad. I'd also like to make Won-Tong Tacos as an appetizer because they're so amazing.

My favorite appetizer is fried spring rolls with ground pork mixture and you can have a dip of your choice like catsup or a soy sauce with lime dip. There is also a vegetable version of spring rolls with nuts and mixed vegetables and peanut butter sauce

My favourite is goat's cheese and cherry tomato tartlets with a red onion chutney. These are really easy to make andIusually make them in advance and then freeze them. Stuffed mushrooms are something I have made often when I don't have a lot of time to prepare and the stuffing I use depends on what I have in at the time. I always top them with cheese and brown them in the oven. I usually see this as a vegetarian dish, but I have added diced smoked bacon for a meat version before now.

I feel it's safe to say that many of the people in my country are not big on appetizers and neither am I. I think they can get in the way of my really great dishes and I love to see people eat to their heart's content when I cook for guest. I have mostly done a light soup if I have guest and that's about it. Sometimes appetizers can be too filling and for me that's a real problem as I like to tested on my main dishes.

I really liked those fake rice oranges. I forgot the name of the appetizer but it was too good to forget the taste of it. I was working in a kitchen of a hotel and I was always so happy when we were told to prepare them.

Basically we used steamed rice some spices and cheese. For coating before frying we used whipped eggs and bread crumbs. So, take a handful of rice and spice well. Usually curry mix was used and salt. After that grate some cheddar and do not be shy. It should stay in the middle. Make a ball out of rice and roll just for few seconds in flour so the whipped eggs would stick better. So after flour you place fake oranges into eggs and immediately cover with bread crumbs. Crumbs will stick on eggs and will absorb the moisture of the eggs as well. Deep fry these and serve with leaves of mint or something green attached so it really looks like an orange.

I don't have appetizers too often, I think my current favorite is the old classic mini hotdogs in puff pastry, however one I have been dying to try is
bacon wrapped dates. Either stuffed with blue cheese or cream cheese or without, they are supposed to be awesome. OF course I am not even sure if our stupid local store carries dates, they don't have much!

We don't generally have appetizers, whether we're at home or out, because then we'd never eat our main meal. Christmas and New Year's are occasions where we only eat appetizers though and one of my favorites is sausage rolls. I always bought some but then decided to make my own. They're really not complicated to make, if a little time consuming and so much better than the store-bought. A close second is pizza rolls. Same as sausage rolls, they're easy to make and so tasty. @ExperimentalFoodie I have never made mozzarella stick, I must try!

We don't generally have appetizers, whether we're at home or out, because then we'd never eat our main meal. Christmas and New Year's are occasions where we only eat appetizers though and one of my favorites is sausage rolls. I always bought some but then decided to make my own. They're really not complicated to make, if a little time consuming and so much better than the store-bought. A close second is pizza rolls. Same as sausage rolls, they're easy to make and so tasty. @ExperimentalFoodie I have never made mozzarella stick, I must try!
I love pizza rolls <3 Never made them before but would love to try.

Also mozzarella sticks are the bomb. You won't be disappointed.

Back
Top Bottom