When did you last have food poisoning?

From childhood up until present day I have always had throat problems, so I am quite careful what I eat with and what I eat or drink from. That's one reason I prefer to eat home-cooked food at home. People, whether waiting in a restaurant or just friends having a social evening in, can be quite nasty if you ask for a different fork or an unchipped cup. I got banned from a pub once for complaining about my drink being in a cracked glass, and I didn't go in there again until some new people took over. The first drink I ordered arrived in a cracked glass and, yes, I was banned again!

And I'm always having problems because of my allergies and intolerances, which I count as a form of food-poisoning. My daughter always buys homogenised milk for her family and lactose-free for herself. Because I cannot tolerate more than the odd cup of tea or coffee made with homogenised milk and had never had lactose-free milk before, I ended up taking a bottle of my unhomogenised milk with me. Just to make matters worse I am not supposed to drink ordinary tea or coffee but only decaf and, while a lot of cafes and restaurants now stock it, a lot of my friends don't or won't drink it because "it isn't proper tea/coffee, is it?" And don't get me started on the number of people who tell me I should eat fish because it's good for me. They usually shut up when I ask them if they will come and visit me in hospital. Even the thought, sight or smell of it makes me feel quite ill; that's why I usually skip and don't comment on any posts in here which have the "f**h" word in them :D

And, sorry, no bananas either:laugh:

From childhood up until present day I have always had throat problems, so I am quite careful what I eat with and what I eat or drink from. That's one reason I prefer to eat home-cooked food at home. People, whether waiting in a restaurant or just friends having a social evening in, can be quite nasty if you ask for a different fork or an unchipped cup. I got banned from a pub once for complaining about my drink being in a cracked glass, and I didn't go in there again until some new people took over. The first drink I ordered arrived in a cracked glass and, yes, I was banned again!

And I'm always having problems because of my allergies and intolerances, which I count as a form of food-poisoning. My daughter always buys homogenised milk for her family and lactose-free for herself. Because I cannot tolerate more than the odd cup of tea or coffee made with homogenised milk and had never had lactose-free milk before, I ended up taking a bottle of my unhomogenised milk with me. Just to make matters worse I am not supposed to drink ordinary tea or coffee but only decaf and, while a lot of cafes and restaurants now stock it, a lot of my friends don't or won't drink it because "it isn't proper tea/coffee, is it?" And don't get me started on the number of people who tell me I should eat fish because it's good for me. They usually shut up when I ask them if they will come and visit me in hospital. Even the thought, sight or smell of it makes me feel quite ill; that's why I usually skip and don't comment on any posts in here which have the "f**h" word in them :D

And, sorry, no bananas either:laugh:

I just can't imagine having your food intolerances. I can eat anything really (except mayo & taramasalata which make me feel a few minutes after eating them). But even that is not serious. It passes in an hour. Its a wonder you are on a food forum. I reckon if I had your intolerances I'd lose interest in food altogether! Please don't take this the wrong way. I think its great that you cook such interesting food and that you are here! :D

I just can't imagine having your food intolerances. I can eat anything really (except mayo & taramasalata which make me feel a few minutes after eating them). But even that is not serious. It passes in an hour. Its a wonder you are on a food forum. I reckon if I had your intolerances I'd lose interest in food altogether! Please don't take this the wrong way. I think its great that you cook such interesting food and that you are here! :D

Now I think it is because of my intolerances and allergies that I am on this food forum. You know how I like adapting recipes, even though that can be quite a challenge in itself. I've joined various food allergy groups but (and definitely don't take this the wrong way!) most of them are geared to children with allergies and have people rabbiting on about their youngsters being allergic to all sorts of things or how the children are older and seem to have grown out of a particular allergy. None of them seem to be in the slightest bit interested in older people who develop allergies quite late in life.

Mayo is weird. I can't eat it either but can quite happily the ingredients separately. And taramasalata is no longer in my vocabulary. I had quite an interesting experience in a local Thai restaurant as couple of years ago - most of their main dishes seemed to have fish sauce in them. The poor waitress could barely speak English so it was fun and games trying to choose a meal. In the end the owner came down and sorted me out - with a suitable meal, I hasten to add :giggle:

Mayo is weird. I can't eat it either but can quite happily the ingredients separately. And taramasalata is no longer in my vocabulary.

I'm the same. No problem with eggs or oil seperately. Make them into an emulsion (mayo) and I have this odd reaction. It sort 'upsets' my stomach making me feel a bit sick. Its not so bad that I actually throw up and it passes in an hour. Same with taramasalata. And how is taramasalata made? With fish roe (eggs) and oil. So there is something going on there! Oddly enough I have a slightly similar reaction to scallops. I can eat them and I quite like the taste but they can cause me to feel very slightly sick in the same way.

Following on from another thread, I thought I would start one on food poisoning.

I can't remember the last time I had food poisoning at all. I can remember the last time my husband had it and that was whilst we were cycling around the world around 6 years ago, towards the start of it. We had bought some eggs from the side of the road, something we very often do and when cooked, one of them just didn't seem right to me. It was mine, my husband having already eaten his 3. I left it, not liking the looks of it. He was still hungry so ate it. He was ill all of the next day (luckily we were at a friends home by then!)

So when did you last have food poisoning and what caused it?
One of the nights I was cruising in the Bahamas in 1985, I ate meat that had been cooked but left out on deck and exposed to flies. It made me sick to my stomach that night.

Back
Top Bottom