Which records have had an impact on your life

Jimi Hendrix is one of the musicians vying for top on my as yet unresolved answer to this thread. Purple Haze, of course...

Excuse me while I kiss the sky. Foxy lady. Lol. My boyfriend ran into Hendrix on the street in the West Village (Greenwich Village) in New York. He asked him for a cigarette. When he got home he taped the cigarette to the wall, framed it, and labeled it Jimi Hendrix' cigarette.lol. I haven't thought about it in years.

Last edited:
I've been to Yasgur's farm before, as a sort of pilgrimage. Nice area, great place for a weekend in the country only about an hour and a half north of where I grew up.

Even though there were about a half million people at Woodstock, and another hundred thousand stuck on the highways getting there, I've heard about 50 million people from all over claim to have attended, lol.

So, no one has mentioned Pink Floyd. Dark Side and The Wall were instrumental in my upbringing.

So much so that my college buddies worried that I was depressed.

Not so. Just, to quote the Man from York, I was comfortably numb a lot of the time.

I took my German 101 final after smoking opium.

Und irgendwie, habe ich es geschaff.

Last edited:
So, no one has mentioned Pink Floyd. Dark Side and The Wall were instrumental in my upbringing.

Strangely I've never bought or owned "Dark Side of the Moon". I have "The Wall". When I was growing up Pink Floyd's repertoire was still "Arnold Layne" and "See Emily Play".

My favourite Floyd album, although a bit of a compilation, is "Delicate Sound of Thunder".

Not so. Just, to quote the Man from York, I was comfortably numb a lot of the time.

I did 2.years learning germanand French. The French came in real handy when last in France. I was surprised how much I retained.

Russ

I was just the right age for punk, my eighteenth birthday being in 1977. I remember listening to the first Clash album that year. I was at a party and it got played about ten times in a row. I also remember getting very stoned, which was a bit more hippy than punk, but never mind. No value in being narrow-minded.

Just on the earlier mention by epicuric of Geno by Dexys, Geno Washington had something of a mini revival after that. We went to see him in Oxford at the not much lamented Corn Dolly. He was terrific.

A couple of years ago we went to London to see the Pink Floyd exhibition, it was really impressive although the prices of the merchandise was ridiculous, I did however buy my husband a t-shirt he liked the look of.

This morning's conversation made me think of one: The Kinks: One For The Road.

An unbelievably great LIVE album.

Last edited:
One of my (many) favourite tracks.

Back
Top Bottom