Who has an ice cream machine?

GadgetGuy

(Formerly Shermie)
Local time
5:17 PM
Gelato Junior Ice Cream Maker..jpg

Here's mine.

Had it for almost 11 years!

Still makes perfectly creamy smooth ice cream!! It has turned yellow, but it still does the job well! It replaces an electric wooden bucket type machine that required the use of rock salt and ice!! :wink:

I have a Cuisinart that I absolutely love! It's only a year old, but I've used it at least twice a month since I've had it. I've had great successes with the ice cream recipes I've tried, and I've even come up with a few interesting flavors and combinations myself.

This is the model I have:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cuisinart-I...084&sr=1-1&keywords=cuisinart+ice-cream+maker

And two of the best ice cream books I've found so far are:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Perfect-Sco...s&ie=UTF8&qid=undefined&sr=1-3&keywords=scoop

and

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ruby-Violets-Ice-Cream-Dreams/dp/1742705936/ref=sr_1_11?s=books&ie=UTF8qid=1410878199&sr=1-11&keywords=ice+cream

I've also made non dairy ice creams in my machine, using coconut milk, and sorbets and frozen yogurt too. I guarantee you'll have endless joy with making your own ice cream. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

I've actually been planning on buying one because store bought ice cream has been failing to cut it for me recently. The only ice cream I now like is the one from fast food places that sell soft serve, but as for the ones sold in supermarkets, they don't appeal to me anymore so I've been thinking of making my own so I could get a formula down that's right for me.

When I make ice cream, I just put the mixture in the freezer and allow it to freeze for a few hours. Ice cream makers tend to be expensive here in my country. To avoid frost, I mix the cream every 30 minutes or so for four hours. :) I have never failed so far!

I used to do that when I first started out making ice cream!

Then, over the years, I graduated from that method over to the electric churn, and from there, I when to the self-contained unit (pictured above)!! :)

View attachment 283

Here's mine.

Had it for almost 11 years!

Still makes perfectly creamy smooth ice cream!! It has turned yellow, but it still does the job well! It replaces an electric wooden bucket type machine that required the use of rock salt and ice!! :wink:

I too had a model that needed salt and ice. :laugh: I loved that thing as a child. Now it's so much more convenient, but mine requires a lot of planning because you need to chill the container beforehand instead of just buying ice.

I love my ice cream maker because I can make the flavors as elaborate as I want. I've made a chocolate-hazelnut-peanutbutter-banana-oatmeal-brownie ice cream before. :laugh:

I don't have one. When I see people using them on TV, I always think that I would love one. Then I think how little I would use it and how much space it would take up in the kitchen.

I don't have an ice cream machine either. We just have ordinary blender and a juicer. Sometimes, when we put a fruit shake for a few hours on the fridge, it ends up looking like icecream once you pull it out from the freezer. There's also a way of making icecream manually. You whip up a creamy choco drink and place large clumps of ice beside it. Sprinkle salt on the ice pieces. Leave for some hours. When you retrieve your choco drink, it's bound to have an icecream texture.

I too had a model that needed salt and ice. :laugh: I loved that thing as a child. Now it's so much more convenient, but mine requires a lot of planning because you need to chill the container beforehand instead of just buying ice.

I love my ice cream maker because I can make the flavors as elaborate as I want. I've made a chocolate-hazelnut-peanutbutter-banana-oatmeal-brownie ice cream before. :laugh:

That is the kind that I DIDN'T want, since both my freezers are always full. The main problem with these units is that you must put the bowl in the freezer each time that you make ice cream! So say you want to make at least a gallon of the stuff. Most make up to about a quart per batch. You'd have to pre-freeze the bowl at least about 4x separately!! Too time-consuming for me!! :eek:

Also, most or all of the self-contained units have their own built-in sealed refrigerating system that freezes the mixture for you as it is churning and beating air into the ice cream! I once made Strawberry Sorbet with it. Came out light, airy & very good!! :hungry:

That is the kind that I DIDN'T want, since both my freezers are always full. The main problem with these units is that you must put the bowl in the freezer each time that you make ice cream! So say you want to make at least a gallon of the stuff. Most make up to about a quart per batch. You'd have to pre-freeze the bowl at least about 4x separately!! Too time-consuming for me!! :eek:

Also, most or all of the self-contained units have their own built-in sealed refrigerating system that freezes the mixture for you as it is churning and beating air into the ice cream! I once made Strawberry Sorbet with it. Came out light, airy & very good!! :hungry:

My sister got ours as a wedding gift. :)

So you're saying.. you can make ice cream on a whim? I am jelly.. I'd probably buy one before Christmas. I really want to make mint ice cream for the family. :D And yes, it would take at least 6 batches on my machine to feed all of them. @_@

As long as I have all the stuff to make it with and there is room in the freezer for priming, yes, I can do it on a whim.:wink:

Oh, I thought you didn't have to prime it. I thought it was completely self-cooling. Or did you mean cooling the ingredients?

I actually have a bit of money for a new kitchen toy :D I'm currently torn between an ice cream maker or a food processor. I might be getting one of these fancier models soon :D

Oh, I thought you didn't have to prime it. I thought it was completely self-cooling. Or did you mean cooling the ingredients?

I actually have a bit of money for a new kitchen toy :D I'm currently torn between an ice cream maker or a food processor. I might be getting one of these fancier models soon :D

The ice cream machine sets it up and gets the mixture semi-frozen (not hard all the way). You still have to have the ability to remove the dasher and the mixture from the metal freezing bowl while still soft.

It then immediately goes into a freezer-proof container, a piece of plastic wrap goes directly on the mixture and the storage container is covered with a tight-fitting lid. It is then placed into the freezer. The frozen sub-zero environment finishes the job for about 6 to 8 hours - hardening it to scoopable frozen consistency. You must act pretty fast, especially during the hot summer months, because time is of the essence!!! You don't want it to start melting during this most critical stage in the process!! :eek:

Now if you want to eat the ice cream right after, when it has churned in the machine, then that is up to you. But I think that it is more enjoyable completely frozen to the consistency of the ice cream that you'd normally buy in the supermarket!! :hungry: :eek:

Ice Cream Tub..jpg

Ordered 2 of THESE from Amazon.com.

Insulated ice cream tubs for the storage of homemade ice cream in the freezer!

Comes in a choice of colors, and of course, I ordered them in orange - my favorite color!! Hah!! :hungry:

Back
Top Bottom