Who likes kale?

Rocklobster

Legendary Member
Local time
7:18 AM
[Mod edit: This and several other posts moved to form a new topic (MG)]

Had salmon on cedar planks. A frozen product we are thinking of selling. It was ok. These eggplants were on the side with some kale.. I don’t get Kale. I think it probably tastes like what the dinosaurs ate. That’s why they are extinct.

688B4FD6-91FB-4256-B283-724BBF43C974.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Had salmon on cedar planks. A frozen product we are thinking of selling. It was ok. These eggplants were on the side with some kale.. I don’t get Kale. I think it probably tastes like what the dinosaurs ate. That’s why they are extinct.

View attachment 82818
I was laughing at the kale thing. To me, it's like a lot of other foods, boring on it's own but takes on life if you work it into something properly. And of course there is always the rationale that it's superfood. Wrap your head around that and you can deal with it!

Well, I eat it occasionally for the health benefit's. I treat it like spinach with a bit of garlic and lemon. It’s just too strong. May as well eat spinach and enjoy it.
I also eat it with white beans and sausage soup. But, there is so much going on you don’t notice it.

Well, I eat it occasionally for the health benefit's. I treat it like spinach with a bit of garlic and lemon. It’s just too strong. May as well eat spinach and enjoy it.
I also eat it with white beans and sausage soup. But, there is so much going on you don’t notice it.

I actually do like curly kale and I love to have it growing. It LOOKS like something from the Jurassic times when it’s about a year old. Usually get 2 winters from it before it bolts.

I bought Tuscan black kale (cavolo nero) and grew that one year but no one would eat it unless I worked really hard to disguise it.

Just one thing your spinach comment reminded me of - something I learned during a green smoothie phase - you should mix up your greens pretty regularly. All the dark green leafy things have some sort of mild toxin to deter bugs. It’s part of what makes them slightly bitter. If you eat a lot of the same green veg every day you can build up enough of that toxin to start to make you feel ill.

I don´t get the "kale" thing either. Who decided it was a "super food"? Who says I have to be bombarded with "kale this, kale that" every single day? Why is it that nowadays, you get kale potato crisps, kale-stuffed tortillas, kale tikka masala, and kale granola??? :eek::eek: No self-respecting salad is free of kale, no gastro-pub would even DREAM of not having kale on the menu somewhere; the stuff is so damned ubiquitous, you could probably find somewhere you can get a kale massage!!🤖🤖
Give me that baked potato with beans - now that´s super-food!😆😆😆😆😆

I don´t get the "kale" thing either. Who decided it was a "super food"? Who says I have to be bombarded with "kale this, kale that" every single day? Why is it that nowadays, you get kale potato crisps, kale-stuffed tortillas, kale tikka masala, and kale granola??? :eek::eek: No self-respecting salad is free of kale, no gastro-pub would even DREAM of not having kale on the menu somewhere; the stuff is so damned ubiquitous, you could probably find somewhere you can get a kale massage!!🤖🤖
Lol
I never hear about and had to google it 🤣
like all food fads, even if late it will surely arrive here too ...

I actually do like curly kale and I love to have it growing. It LOOKS like something from the Jurassic times when it’s about a year old. Usually get 2 winters from it before it bolts.

I bought Tuscan black kale (cavolo nero) and grew that one year but no one would eat it unless I worked really hard to disguise it.

Just one thing your spinach comment reminded me of - something I learned during a green smoothie phase - you should mix up your greens pretty regularly. All the dark green leafy things have some sort of mild toxin to deter bugs. It’s part of what makes them slightly bitter. If you eat a lot of the same green veg every day you can build up enough of that toxin to start to make you feel ill.
Good to know..I put frozen spinach in my morning smoothies about 4-5 times a week

That is one of the few kales that I really like. It has a deep, dark 'iron' taste with a hint of bitterness that work really well with sweeter ingredients - white beans or fish in particular. I love the combination. What I really hate is any kale that is 'crunchy' or only cooked for a few minutes.

Why is it that nowadays, you get kale potato crisps, kale-stuffed tortillas, kale tikka masala, and kale granola??? :eek::eek: No self-respecting salad is free of kale, no gastro-pub would even DREAM of not having kale on the menu somewhere; the stuff is so damned ubiquitous, you could probably find somewhere you can get a kale massage!!🤖🤖
Never heard of those things. Where the hell have you been shopping???

I feel like most people who "hate kale" were just caught up in the hype tornado some time ago when it became super popular. I do like kale but its not my favorite leafy green, either raw or cooked. I have it from time to time, and I enjoy it, and then I don't have it again for a while.

I am generally oblivious to trends, and have seen zero evidence that my life is any worse because of it, and in fact is probably better. So the "kale trend" doesn't really affect me in any way.

Don't know anything about any trends..I just see it in my grocery store..I still eat it from time to time and will again....takes about three meals to get through a bunch..

I don’t like it at all, and I’ve given it three chances, and after that, I figure it’s kale’s problem, not mine. :laugh:

I do think opinions can be negatively influenced by a fad. I know mine certainly can. And why not? The psychology behind fads is to predispose someone to think positively about something, so if someone is naturally turned to be a bit cynical of everything (like I am), a fad can nudge that person further toward skepticism of something.

Back
Top Bottom