Who likes kale?

I don´t hate kale, because I will eat any vegetable you put on my plate. Absolutely any vegetable.
But I agree with the above opinions: it´s been over-hyped, thrust in our faces, glorified as the ONLY food which will save us from our miserable diets, toted as the best anti-oxidant, anti-cancer, anti-obesity, anti-heart disease, anti-stroke, memory-enhancing, blood-nurturing, libido-raising vegetable EVER.
Which of course, it´s not. It´s very tasty - if you like cabbage - and versatile. that´s about it.
Time to highlight artichokes, in my opinion!

I don´t hate kale, because I will eat any vegetable you put on my plate. Absolutely any vegetable.
But I agree with the above opinions: it´s been over-hyped, thrust in our faces, glorified as the ONLY food which will save us from our miserable diets, toted as the best anti-oxidant, anti-cancer, anti-obesity, anti-heart disease, anti-stroke, memory-enhancing, blood-nurturing, libido-raising vegetable EVER.
Which of course, it´s not. It´s very tasty - if you like cabbage - and versatile. that´s about it.
That's less kale's fault and more a problem of our tendency to take everything to the most absurd extremes. Nuance doesn't sell.

Never heard any of those claims pertaining to kale, but I have seen it along with other foods (like blueberries) listed as a superfood. Makes sense, dark vegetables and fruits generally are nutrient dense.

That's less kale's fault and more a problem of our tendency to take everything to the most absurd extremes. Nuance doesn't sell.
Absolutely correct. Remember the hype over sundried tomatoes? Leeks? Balsamic vinegar? And now it´s kale.
But I don´t think it´s us that takes ot to extremes - it´s the marketers.

Never heard any of those claims pertaining to kale, but I have seen it along with other foods (like blueberries) listed as a superfood. Makes sense, dark vegetables and fruits generally are nutrient dense.
Again, I invented them; but I´m sure some crazy marketing dude somewhere has already claimed those qualities.
As as lifelong (97.7% ) vegetarian, I´ve tried them all. Different veggies have different qualities, vitamins, minerals, and the only single thing we have to do is BALANCE our diets. vegetarians can live without meat - look at the hindu and mayan cultures - but carnivores do need some veggies to supplement their diets.

Absolutely correct. Remember the hype over sundried tomatoes? Leeks? Balsamic vinegar? And now it´s kale.
But I don´t think it´s us that takes ot to extremes - it´s the marketers.
No, I don't remember any of that.

But I do remember the hype over lycopene in tomatoes (not sundried). I ate a lot of them before that and still eat about the same amount.

No, I don't remember any of that.

But I do remember the hype over lycopene in tomatoes (not sundried). I ate a lot of them before that and still eat about the same amount.
Or, one of the most recent ones, celery juice..two winters ago we were paying almost six dollars for celery here..

Or, one of the most recent ones, celery juice..two winters ago we were paying almost six dollars for celery here..
Yeah, I missed that one too. I guess marketing is completely lost on me. In the US we have some battery company that does commercials with a rabbit but I can't remember which one it is. With most commercials that catch my interest, I can remember what the commercial is about but can't ever remember the brand names. Those companies are wasting a lot of money on people like me, LOL! :laugh:

Yeah, I missed that one too. I guess marketing is completely lost on me. In the US we have some battery company that does commercials with a rabbit but I can't remember which one it is. With most commercials that catch my interest, I can remember what the commercial is about but can't ever remember the brand names. Those companies are wasting a lot of money on people like me, LOL! :laugh:
The celery juice fad was out West in California. Go figure. I moved to frozen chopped celery in 10 lb boxes for my soups. Really inexpensive alternative so I am still buying it.

The celery juice fad was out West in California. Go figure. I moved to frozen chopped celery in 10 lb boxes for my soups. Really inexpensive alternative so I am still buying it.
Good to know. I haven't ever seen it available frozen, is that from a wholesale supplier? I sent my husband to the store earlier to get me a bunch of celery because I am making chicken soup today, and it was $2.69 for a package with maybe 8-9 stalks in it? I remember getting it for about $1 on sale before, and even when not on sale (at a different store) I maybe paid $1.60 for it. $2.69 seems really expensive.

It is a commercial food service product, I would think. I was getting one brand from China that was cheaper than the same size box from Southern Ontario, just a few hundred miles from me.

It is a commercial food service product, I would think. I was getting one brand from China that was cheaper than the same size box from Southern Ontario, just a few hundred miles from me.
We have a wholesale grocery store here that's open to the public with no membership fee (Gordon Food Service), as well as a few grocery wholesale membership clubs (Sam's, BJs), and they all do sell bulk items. But 10 pounds is a lot of celery!

We have a wholesale grocery store here that's open to the public with no membership fee (Gordon Food Service), as well as a few grocery wholesale membership clubs (Sam's, BJs), and they all do sell bulk items. But 10 pounds is a lot of celery!
Yes. Lol. Unless you are into juicing. Lol

Back
Top Bottom