Wild mushrooms

PS I am told that in France if you are not sure you go to a pharmacist. It appears that French pharmacist know what they look like. You do have a point though some that are Hallucinogenic and also give some people a stomach ache....I have been doing my research. NO! I mean reading up!
I've gone to the local pharmacist in France with rich pickings,I've done fungus walks and still stick to what i know ,a good local knowledge is great but a lot of foragers will not share their sites,my old dogs sire was trained to find truffles and again no one shares their locations,
there are plenty of hallucinogenic mushrooms listed ,some disperse their toxins in water but to be honest its not of interest to me,and some mushrooms have to cooked and i have first hand experience of this as one type made me feel odd for a few hours ,mushroom foraging is more than grabbing a book and trying to id a certain sample,lots of people get caught out,picker beware!!!

I just stick to a few and as you said tell no one where they are. BUT I like to try and identity ones I have never seen before even if I have no intentions of eating them. Took me ages to identity some mushroom growing on horse manure. Wouldn't mind but forgotten the name of them. On the other hand the cowpat mushroom was easy to identity. No it wasn't growing any where near cowpat.

I just stick to a few and as you said tell no one where they are. BUT I like to try and identity ones I have never seen before even if I have no intentions of eating them. Took me ages to identity some mushroom growing on horse manure. Wouldn't mind but forgotten the name of them. On the other hand the cowpat mushroom was easy to identity. No it wasn't growing any where near cowpat.

Button mushrooms seem to like horse muck, we pick early autumn in a polo pony field , you look at a distance and get excited about a big mushroom and its a polo ball

We have wild mushroom here of several variety. But we do not harvest that for eating since we do not really know if they are edible. The mushrooms usually come around during the onset of the rainy (like now, they are beginning to show their presence). There is one variety that is similar to the Chinese mushroom, the soft and black like the ear of a mouse.

I remember as a kid my mom would take us out picking mushrooms. She always knew which ones were the good ones and then we would take them home and fry them up in butter. It was a real treat. I wouldn't be able to go out and do it on my own because I would have no idea which would be the edible ones. I'd rather be safe and just buy this at the grocery store and know what I'm getting. Thinking about it though brings back some fond childhood memories.

Back
Top Bottom