Yams - ideas sought

Duck59

Guru
Local time
6:08 AM
Website
duckholiday.com
My local greengrocer, who is an enterprising fellow, has acquired some yams. I should point out that I do, indeed, mean yams and not sweet potatoes, which are sometimes referred to as yams in some parts of the world.

I have eaten yams in Ghana (coincidentally, the very yams that are in my local shop are from the same country), but I have never cooked anything with them.

Does anyone have any interesting and inventive uses for a yam? Vegetarian options, preferably.

Baked or steamed with butter. Bake or steam them, then top with butter.

This one looks as if it could be interesting. Its from an Indian Vegetarian Sattvic website (Saatvic is a type of Indian cuisine without onions or garlic). Although having said that, its hard to imagine a curry without garlic! It may give you some ideas though:
http://maayeka.com/2012/10/suran-ki-subzi-yam-curry.html

suran-ki-subzi-yam-curry.jpg

I was thinking curry or chilli as these things are quite absorbent.
I had a dream last night that I was in London with my dog and was searching everywhere for yams. Then I remembered an African market - but I couldn't remember how to get there...

Ocado don't have any. I wonder of anywhere in Maidstone does. There are several Asian and Turkish mini supermarkets.

My mother used to make a mash of rutebegas and yams. It was great with a big chunk of butter melting into it.

I also like a little maple syrup on yams. Since they aren't as sweet as sweet potatoes, they are able to handle the syrup without becoming cloyingly sweet. I can't stand sweet potato casseroles with all of that extra brown sugar and even marshmallows added to them.

I had a dream last night that I was in London with my dog and was searching everywhere for yams. Then I remembered an African market - but I couldn't remember how to get there...

Ocado don't have any. I wonder of anywhere in Maidstone does. There are several Asian and Turkish mini supermarkets.

I suspect my greengrocer doesn't dispatch orders to Kent. I'll have a word when I'm next in the shop...

Curiously enough, I was in Edinburgh today and popped into an African shop which had a big box full of yams. Since they are available just up the road, I didn't buy any, but contented myself with some coconut peanuts and a packet of hot pepper powder. I think the latter might serve as a basis for the yams.

Back
Top Bottom