Yams - ideas sought

Duck59

Guru
Local time
7:24 AM
Website
duckholiday.com
My local greengrocer, who is an enterprising fellow, has acquired some yams. I should point out that I do, indeed, mean yams and not sweet potatoes, which are sometimes referred to as yams in some parts of the world.

I have eaten yams in Ghana (coincidentally, the very yams that are in my local shop are from the same country), but I have never cooked anything with them.

Does anyone have any interesting and inventive uses for a yam? Vegetarian options, preferably.

This one looks as if it could be interesting. Its from an Indian Vegetarian Sattvic website (Saatvic is a type of Indian cuisine without onions or garlic). Although having said that, its hard to imagine a curry without garlic! It may give you some ideas though:
http://maayeka.com/2012/10/suran-ki-subzi-yam-curry.html

suran-ki-subzi-yam-curry.jpg

I was thinking curry or chilli as these things are quite absorbent.
I had a dream last night that I was in London with my dog and was searching everywhere for yams. Then I remembered an African market - but I couldn't remember how to get there...

Ocado don't have any. I wonder of anywhere in Maidstone does. There are several Asian and Turkish mini supermarkets.

My mother used to make a mash of rutebegas and yams. It was great with a big chunk of butter melting into it.

I also like a little maple syrup on yams. Since they aren't as sweet as sweet potatoes, they are able to handle the syrup without becoming cloyingly sweet. I can't stand sweet potato casseroles with all of that extra brown sugar and even marshmallows added to them.

I had a dream last night that I was in London with my dog and was searching everywhere for yams. Then I remembered an African market - but I couldn't remember how to get there...

Ocado don't have any. I wonder of anywhere in Maidstone does. There are several Asian and Turkish mini supermarkets.

I suspect my greengrocer doesn't dispatch orders to Kent. I'll have a word when I'm next in the shop...

Curiously enough, I was in Edinburgh today and popped into an African shop which had a big box full of yams. Since they are available just up the road, I didn't buy any, but contented myself with some coconut peanuts and a packet of hot pepper powder. I think the latter might serve as a basis for the yams.

Back
Top Bottom