Your best picnic food

@ElizabethB

Firstly, you are not ignorant because you do not know what something is .. If you did not ask, that would be fool hearty on your behalf ..

Haslet is a porc type spicy meatloaf classically traditional in the U.K.

There are a wide variety of Haslets, however, the main ingredients are: Porc, onion, bread crumbs, sage, spices etcetra ..

Have a nice evening ..

Thank you. Sounds delicious.
Its a bit of an acquired taste. I love it but I know a lot of people don't. Its quite 'bready'.

022.jpg

@ElizabethB

I was going to say, surely, @morning glory could give you her traditional récipe for Haslet ..

Have a lovely day ..

I don't have one - we buy it from the supermarket! I suppose it might be interesting to make it from scratch - I expect there are recipes to be found. :)

@morning glory

Wow .. Surprise ! I am sure there are some online or someone can post a récipe here ..

Have a lovely day ..

TBH its not that interesting a product. Its just minced pork with some seasoning and breadcrumbs and sage. Its basically a meatloaf. I happen to quite like it (sliced thin) - but it isn't really a gourmet thing. Sorry - I'm not being very positive about this but I'd hate you to be disappointed @ElizabethB!

TBH its not that interesting a product. Its just minced pork with some seasoning and breadcrumbs and sage. Its basically a meatloaf. I happen to quite like it (sliced thin) - but it isn't really a gourmet thing. Sorry - I'm not being very positive about this but I'd hate you to be disappointed @ElizabethB!
When we first used to have it, meat was still on ration and it used to make the meagre amount go a long way. Also, it was very cheap.

it isn't really a gourmet thing

It does not have to be "gourmet" to taste good.

One of my favorite "comfort foods" is my Mother's Meat Pie. I am the eldest of seven children. Mother had to cook for 9 on a tight budget. On Sunday she would take all of the leftovers out of the refrigerator - meats and vegetables. She put everything into a large pot, added a can of baked beans and lots of plain old French's Mustard. Her crust was not a pie crust. It was more of a biscuit (U.S. biscuit) dough. She would bake a large pan of meat pie. We would have that for dinner with a salad. On Monday we would race to the fridge after school to grab a chunk of cold meat pie for a snack. Nothing Gourmet about that but scrumptious.

Meatloaf, mashed potatoes and sweet peas are another favorite "comfort food". That was the first meal I prepared for some one outside of the family. I was a Sophomore in high school and prepared dinner for my boyfriend.

It does not have to be "gourmet" to taste good.
Quite true! And I have many favourite comfort foods. Its more that its really a rather 'bready' meatloaf - so if you have made a pork meatloaf before then this isn't likely to be much different.

Your Mother's Meat Pie sounds like the ultimate comfort food - I like American 'biscuit' toppings. We don't have them here really. But if you want to make a classic British comfort food then streak and kidney pudding might be a good one. That is, if you like kidney's and you don't mind the idea of using suet. :happy:

Back
Top Bottom