Your favourite things that come in tins (cans)

Canned Clams Sauce and Pasta.jpg

Another item I really like and make for myself often is Clam Sauce using canned/tinned chopped Clams, along with the reserved juice from the can for the sauce and serve it up over some nice pasta and of course crusty bread to mop up the sauce.

As I don't have much money to spend on food, I would say my favourite types of foods that are tinned are 1. Tuna, 2. Tomatoes, 3. Sauerkraut, 4. all kind of beans (baked/kidney/white/black)

Edit: as a kid I loved canned ravioli, now that I'm grown up the only way I can imagine to eat one portion of canned ravioli is when there's some kind of civil war scenario or another panic

I loved canned ravioli as a kid, too. :laugh:

CD

Tinned sweet corn or corn kernels. Hear me out on this one. Would you rather get whole corn, shuck it, cook it, and then cut off the kernels OR just pop the can and drain the kernels before you make your Sunday cornbread? While I'm on the "corn" topic, I'll also throw in support for baby corn which is a nice addition to Chinese stir fry and I have only ever seen it sold in a can.

Also, as a resident of a hurricane-prone area, we stock up on canned goods every year in case of emergency.

I used to live in Hurricane country, and my family still does. Canned foods are kept on hand during Hurricane season, for sure, right next to the bottled water.

CD

1. I use canned tomatoes almost exclusively for cooing, because good fresh tomatoes are so hard to find here, except for a few weeks in June. I keep whole San Marzano plum tomatoes and canned diced tomatoes in the pantry all the time. Also, Rotel tomatoes with chilis.

2. I use canned tuna for tuna salad sandwiches.

3. My friend sends me canned Alaskan smoked salmon, which is good for cooking, or for dips.

4. I always have canned beans in the pantry, usually black and pinto.

I prefer frozen veggies, like peas and corn, to canned.

CD

I tried your version of Boiled Peanuts for the first time a few years back while we were traveling in the Carolinas, gotta say didn't care for them.
This is how we do it in Hawaii:
Hawaiian-Style Boiled Peanuts
I keep saying that I'm going to make this, but have not, yet 💡
We used to get them fresh from the roadside, boiling in a big drum, tops still on, muddy…they were fantastic.

Every little convenience store around here sells them nowadays, made in a crockpot. I think they’re just reheating the canned ones.

This is something so new to me. I still don't understand! Are they a snack? What changes in boiling them?
They’re a snack. Boiled in brine, they end up tasting a lot like a slightly firm, salty little potato.

We used to get them fresh from the roadside, boiling in a big drum, tops still on, muddy…they were fantastic.

Every little convenience store around here sells them nowadays, made in a crockpot. I think they’re just reheating the canned ones.

They’re a snack. Boiled in brine, they end up tasting a lot like a slightly firm, salty little potato.
That's how it was for us. We'd stopped for gas off a rural road and this man was stirring something in a big oil drum and I had to find out what it was.

On my can shelf I have plum tomatoes (mainly for curries and chilli), tomato puree, baked beans, ravioli (all gone now; must get some more), button mushrooms, some Heinz tinned soup which I bought cheap and some Campbell's condensed soup which I use for sauces.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom