Your favourite things that come in tins (cans)

My favourite things that come in a tin: fois gras (controversial, I know), duck confit, cassoulet.

Other more every-day tinned things that I use: soup - we usually have a few cream of tomato, cream of mushroom and cream of chicken in the cupboard for quick lunches. Baked beans of course - either for beans on toast or for breakfast. John West sardines in tomato sauce - make a quick and tasty lunch mashed up on toast. And of course tomatoes.

We also have a fake tin of Heinz soup - its our little hidey-hole for small valuables whilst we're travelling in the motorhome, and is hidden in plain sight amongst the other emergency rations.

I used to like snails which came in tins accompanied by a box or packet of washable empty shells in which to serve them. I even had the forks. I haven't seen them since I left England.

[Edit: I had a set of the tongs also I remember]

Last edited:
the only things I bought in cans is steamed legumes (because the annoyng preparation starting from the dried ones)
so chickpeas, cannellini, red and borlotti beans, mais...

cooked salmon and tuna, I prefer the one selled in glass jar

On my can shelf I have plum tomatoes (mainly for curries and chilli), tomato puree, baked beans, ravioli (all gone now; must get some more), button mushrooms, some Heinz tinned soup which I bought cheap and some Campbell's condensed soup which I use for sauces.

I had to go and look to see what I had in 'cans'. I have escargot, tuna, water chestnuts, chipotle in adobo, tomatoes, extra virgin olive oil, walnut oil. That's all folks.

A pet peeve of mine relates to canned chipotle in adobo. I never need a whole can of them for any dish I am making. Often, only one or two chilis.

CD

The only thing I see in tins are tomatoes, sardines, and tuna. Everything else that was canned is now in little plastic resealable bags. That's not the norm elsewhere? 😮😲
We still have lots of canned items available. Guess what I can get in a little resealable plastic pouch, though? Tuna!

Tin food: tomato mostly. pelati. but only sometime, I usually have plain tomato purree in cardboard packs. coconut milk sometimes, not always.

I did try some canned meats, I was not too wild about the taste. Did not restock. I used to have some beans and corn, but very rarely, I almost do not at all recently. It is handy though.

Jar food: pickles usuallym but not the whole year around, usually winter only. oh, peanut butter, almond buter, sometimes.

Funny addition, Tin is the name of one of Croatia's most famous poets, Tin Ujević. My favourite too. 2 y ago a new coworker came, and his name was Tin Ujević, it was a bit of a schock at first:D.

It is a rather common name. I would say a short of Valentin, but not entirely sure. Other 3 letter names are popular too, Vid (which means eyesight), Noa (international), Mak (poppy flower)...

Back
Top Bottom