Your mental health

That’s very true, and it’s so frustrating!

I have a good handful of anxiety disorder male relatives, a couple bipolar ones, and one that has a severe social disorder, like borderline personality disorder or something like that; also a smattering of depression.

IOW, somewhat typical these days, if you look close enough.

Anyway, I was on another forum a while back (a very close-knit one like here), and someone related that their adult child had killed himself after years of depression.

Someone else on the forum came back with the opinion that depression and anxiety are recent conditions, mainly brought about by the internet, and what her son should have done was just get a dog, because raising a dog requires you to think of something other than yourself.

🤨

There’s so much wrong with that, it beggars belief, but that’s how too many people feel about it, like it’s a character flaw or just a lack of willpower.

The problem was, though…he wasn’t trying to be a jerk, he thought he was being helpful.

It is difficult to explain mental health issues to anyone who has never experienced anything themselves, there does still seem to be a culture of 'get over yourself' which is not at all helpful.

I don't talk with people about mental health, if they're having a fixed mindset and tell me to just get over it.

In general they're still nice people, but I'm not looking for a long lasting discussion... probably a solution would be to change that attitude

Nope. When we hire more people, it’s “We hired all these extra people, we should be producing more goods and making more money!”

When we downsize people, what are we told? “We’ve got to tighten up and do more with less, because even though you just lost 20% of your staff, we need to still grow and produce more goods and make more money!”

Geez, it never ends. The older I get, the more crazy it makes me
I thought about this in the last days. That's how I understood Growth in economy: In a fair/ethical economy you've to make fair deals, so you won't ''feed your own enemy'' and just get better in your field, so everyone benefits through your actions.

Where can Growth be measured?
There are many: Family, intact nature, IQ/EQ, physics, bank account, inches of your TV screen.
I haven't seen simultaneously Growth in all aspects, that I would value, but some people believe and try to encourage you, to buy the next best vitamin pill or sign a gym contract and right now I don't know if it's a problem of my way of thinking or just a sales strategy.

Another problem, that maybe just another problem of my mindset /depression. Can there be Growth, considered all factors?
For example: you exercise, loose stress and grow muscles, but you cannot work in this time, or socialize with your not so active friend and loose money.
What makes this even more funny: You get better at your job and grow as a worker according to your boss, but yourself believe, ''heck I didn’t get better at anything here, it's all the work of our new member Carl''.
As I was grown in a big bureaucracy I would like to see an agency of growth, where I've got my own account and see if I'd made some real progress in the past years

Have to admit I'm having a bit of a struggle since the latest medical news. I'll have an MRI to see what's going on with my back on december 9 so that's quick which is good.

But I am just getting a little worn out by the relentless pressure of it all. I have been in pain and frequently hospitalised ( last month was the 13th time already) so long now. It's just hard to feel optimistic sometimes.

But I am just getting a little worn out by the relentless pressure of it all.
I understand that completely. Try and focus on the 9th and that you’ll have some more concrete answers after that. Keep your mind on that.

I understand that completely. Try and focus on the 9th and that you’ll have some more concrete answers after that. Keep your mind on that.
Thank you ❤️ I'm feeling a bit better already, it's not that I am constantly down or something. But I do notice I'm grumpy more often than usually. Like about twice a week now, whereas I usually am pretty happy all around and can count moody episodes on one hand in a year.

Like about twice a week now, whereas I usually am pretty happy all around and can count moody episodes on one hand in a year.
I’m naturally quite moody, so you’re already doing better than me - I’ve had about three today! :wink:

Have to admit I'm having a bit of a struggle since the latest medical news. I'll have an MRI to see what's going on with my back on december 9 so that's quick which is good.

But I am just getting a little worn out by the relentless pressure of it all. I have been in pain and frequently hospitalised ( last month was the 13th time already) so long now. It's just hard to feel optimistic sometimes.
I feel for you. I've been there as well, as you know.

It was around that time for me that I took a conscious decision to not look up anything that even a doctor or consultant told me I might have because it was too stressful. I only ever read up and investigated a condition once I have been confirmed as having it. Until then, I don't look at the details, implications or long term diagnosis.

It is/was the only way I can deal with it.

I feel for you. I've been there as well, as you know.

It was around that time for me that I took a conscious decision to not look up anything that even a doctor or consultant told me I might have because it was too stressful. I only ever read up and investigated a condition once I have been confirmed as having it. Until then, I don't look at the details, implications or long term diagnosis.

It is/was the only way I can deal with it.
We need a hug emoji for a post :hug: I know you know what it's like, and I am sorry I can't support you as much as I would like to. It's just that my own cup is already empty, and you can't pour from an empty cup.

It's not the possibilities of what could happen that bother me though, it's the practical ramifications of this new condition (the abcess) that are just very unpleasant to live with and have social consequences too that has been getting me frustrated, especially because I was warned by the doctor that this is a 'complicated long term condition' which means I have to deal with this for a long time. It's been a lot to take in. I'll get used to it, I always bounce back somehow. But it's had a major impact on my life.

We need a hug emoji for a post :hug: I know you know what it's like, and I am sorry I can't support you as much as I would like to. It's just that my own cup is already empty, and you can't pour from an empty cup.

It's not the possibilities of what could happen that bother me though, it's the practical ramifications of this new condition (the abcess) that are just very unpleasant to live with and have social consequences too that has been getting me frustrated, especially because I was warned by the doctor that this is a 'complicated long term condition' which means I have to deal with this for a long time. It's been a lot to take in. I'll get used to it, I always bounce back somehow. But it's had a major impact on my life.
I know all of those feelings. Living with conditions that make life difficult is hard. The long term ramifications are always problematic. My asthma treatment is likely the cause of my secondary Addison's. The treatment for the secondary Addison's is the cause of my osteoporosis and the treatment of that is the likely cause of the osteophytes on my spine in multiple locations. I could go on, but I'm home alone at present and i know that means it's harder for me to hold it together emotionally and physically.

It's better I don't dwell on it.

Big hugs.

Sorry you are both going through these hardships. I have been very fortunate in my life thus far and am thankful every day because of it. But, at the age of 60, I know something could very well occur any day so I like to concentrate on living in the present and try to focus on what positive things I have in front of me, I have a lot of things to be thankful for. This forum and you guys are are one of them.

Sorry you are both going through these hardships. I have been very fortunate in my life thus far and am thankful every day because of it. But, at the age of 60, I know something could very well occur any day so I like to concentrate on living in the present and try to focus on what positive things I have in front of me, I have a lot of things to be thankful for. This forum and you guys are are one of them.
Glad to hear it! I'm happy for you. And we're glad you're here too!

Back
Top Bottom