Your Mum or Dad's best dish

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
12:08 AM
My Mum wasn't a brilliant cook but considering she was totally blind she was amazing. The best thing I remember her cooking was apple pie. The pastry was lovely and light and the cooking apples weren't sweetened too much. Neither she nor I had much of a sweet tooth.

As for my Dad, he didn't cook very much but I do remember the time when my Mum had to go away on a residential course to train for her first guide dog. I must have been about twelve. Dad made a lovely salad with lettuce and tomatoes from the garden and some kind of fried pastry squares plus some home-made salad cream. I'm not sure if he really knew what he was making but I loved it and I remember it now!

So what about you? What was the best dish your Mum and/or Dad made. Even if they were the worst cooks in the world - what was the best they did?

Last edited:
BK Steak House, Micky Ds, Taco Bell Arbys, etc. Oh, you mean when they actually cooked! Most of it created the stigmas I have today against certain dishes and products.:headshake:

Mum had two, Spanish rice, made with ground beef, and beef stroganof,
creamy style, made with sour cream.

Dad had chicken mole, Ricotta pancakes and made a mean split pea soup.

My grandfather, like me, spent some time as a chef.
His specialties were Lasagna, and Beef stew.

Granny had her famous banana cream pie. However when my sister
finally passed me the recipe 25 years later, I realized it was just standard
BCPie, like youd find on the back of a Jello Pudding mix box. lol

Kind of the same sentiments. My mom was not a good cook. We ate well. The food was mostly flavorless.

She did make a hell of a chocolate pudding pie.............WOW...............absolutely fantastic.

My mom could take an army boot and make it taste good, AND feed 8 people. My dad only made disasters in the kitchen once in a while after we were all asleep and he had a few under his belt. Mostly just some kind of Frankensteinian burger or hot dog, or something with, at best guess, cheese.
However, you'd have thought that he cooked for said army (sans 1 tasty boot) with the mess he'd leave to be cleaned up by mom in the morning.

Ok, so, my mom made lots and lots of great things, from pot roast, veggies, mashed and gravy, to chicken parm and pasta dishes, to Norwegian dishes like lapskaus and check-kaga (sp?), to crepes - both savoury and sweet, to roasts, steaks, and chops, to all kids of broiled and fried fish.. She even was expert at grilling over charcoal, often making lots of extra bbq chicken to bring to the beach the next day.

By proxy, I am lucky that we always had great neighbors of all kinds of ancestries wherever we lived with whom my mom learned from, and taught how to cook.

Last edited:
My mom could take and army boot and make it taste good, AND feed 8 people. My dad only made disasters in the kitchen once in a while after we were all asleep and he had a few under his belt. Mostly just some kind of Frankensteinian burger or hot dog, or something with, at best guess, cheese.
However, you'd have thought that he cooked for said army (sans 1 tasty boot) with the mess he'd leave to be cleaned up by mom in the morning.

Ok, so, my mom made lots and lots of great things, from pot roast, veggies, mashed and gravy, to chicken parm and pasta dishes, to Norwegian dishes like lapskaus and check-kaga (sp?), to crepes - both savoury and sweet, to roasts, steaks, and chops, to all kids of broiled and fried fish.. She even was expert at grilling over charcoal, often making lots of extra bbq chicken to bring to the beach the next day.

By proxy, I am lucky that we always had great neighbors of all kinds of ancestries wherever we lived with whom my mom learned from, and taught how to cook.

How fantastic to have a Mum who could cook like that! I'm sure the ancestral mix was a great influence.

My dad used to make porridge for breakfast and I still use his method (cook with water, add milk in the bowl afterwards). He always cooked sausages on Sundays for breakfast.

My mum was never an adventurous cook but she always made everything from scratch. Proper gravy with everything. She used to cook lovely hams that was a treat to have cold for a few days. She went through a phase of making bread for a while which we all appreciated, especially hot cross buns.

What a lovely thread.
My mum makes a cracking Christmas dinner with all the trimmings home made. She was excellent at making Monday dinner from leftovers from Sunday roast when my sister and i lived at home and we had a roast every Sunday. Sunday afternoon was always some british teatime treat such as scones or Welsh cakes. Saturdays we had things like braising steak or toad in the hole. This all stopped when they realised this food was the source of me being so unwell. I do miss those dishes though.

My dad used to make us porridge for breakfast in the winter. We added golden syrup and All Bran on top. Other than that he was and still is limited to eggs. Boiled or omelette. From the age if ten I used to cook lunch for me, my sister and my dad during the school holidays (mum was at work and dad worked at home) just so I got something decent to eat.

My dad makes a mean fuit cake :happy:

My fathers idea of making fruit cake was buying one, wrapping it in cheese cloth, putting it back in the tin and pouring booze on it till it was fully saturated/preserved. The process took several days of adding booze. His cakes got regifted for several years.:whistling:

My fathers idea of making fruit cake was buying one, wrapping it in cheese cloth, putting it back in the tin and pouring booze on it till it was fully saturated/preserved. The process took several days of adding booze. His cakes got regifted for several years.:whistling:
Sounds fine to me!

Back
Top Bottom