Your Mum or Dad's best dish

My fathers idea of making fruit cake was buying one, wrapping it in cheese cloth, putting it back in the tin and pouring booze on it till it was fully saturated/preserved. The process took several days of adding booze. His cakes got regifted for several years.:whistling:

No booze in my dad's cake, mum didn't drink and were too young to.

Mom's potato salad...super yummy her pies and breads were fantastic too

Dad on the other hand while he loved his own cooking the rest of the world was not a fan. He could make boiled peanuts tho but seriously how can you mess up boiling peanuts in salty water. I still remember his cornbread hard as a rock, grainy as heck and him wondering why no one liked it cause it was just like the cornbread his momma used to make...tho my aunt geraldine begged to differ and said their momma never made cornbread like that.

Mom's potato salad...super yummy her pies and breads were fantastic too

Dad on the other hand while he loved his own cooking the rest of the world was not a fan. He could make boiled peanuts tho but seriously how can you mess up boiling peanuts in salty water. I still remember his cornbread hard as a rock, grainy as heck and him wondering why no one liked it cause it was just like the cornbread his momma used to make...tho my aunt geraldine begged to differ and said their momma never made cornbread like that.

When you use a pressure cooker to "boil" them, not have a clue how to use it and it explodes. That is how my brother Doug got the nickname "The Big Steamer".:eek:

My ex-step-father thought he was an excellent cook. His disasters are too numerous to mention. Broccoli would disintegrate before it hit the plate and be that insipid and ominous dark green that says salty and overcooked in one glance. The only thing he could really cook was jacket spuds and even they were not guaranteed. He would buy them from farmers down the Cheshire country lanes. Wouldn't wash them particularly well and not really check them over at all. Bugs, soil and black spots are the norm.

Mum was just as bad. I honestly can't recall a single dish that either of them cooked except perhaps the Heinz tomato soup with melted cheese in it which my brother and I grew up on.

Mum did/does fantastic roasts. No doubt everyone else would turn their noses up but they are special to me because they're my mums!

But her signature dish for me was a thing she called October Sausage.
It was never 100% the same each time but generally it was sausage (obviously), apple, onion, peppers, tomatoes and she would often augment it by biffing in some leftover carrots o whatever.

It had a lovely sweet 'n' tart taste to it.

Back
Top Bottom