You're all doing Italian food wrong, say Italians

It would be nice if they made the distinction between "things Italians get mad about because there's a good reason for it" and "things Italians get mad about because that's just how things happen to be done over there".

It would be nice if they made the distinction between "things Italians get mad about because there's a good reason for it" and "things Italians get mad about because that's just how things happen to be done over there".
sometimes we "get mad" only for make a laugh :)

personally I made bad comment only on things that seem disgusting to me, like drinking cappuccino while eating lasagna or seeing someone at the restaurant add pounds of salt and pepper on top of a finished pasta dish...
breaking spaghetti or cutting them with a knife at most take a smile but certainly it is not indignant!

ketchup as a sauce for pasta is incommentable instead :laugh:

The "no breaking spaghetti" rule is interesting for another reason. I don't do it, and yes that means part of the spaghetti sticks above the water for a minute or two until the spaghetti is flexible enough to get it all into the pot. You'd think this would mean that part of the spaghetti would be undercooked. But no, somehow it all gets to the right doneness at the same time.

like drinking cappuccino while eating lasagna
I’ve always been puzzled by the coffee thing as well. In old movies, it’s common to hear someone order lunch and coffee as the beverage, like “I’ll have the turkey-and-Swiss on rye, and a cup of coffee,” and I always think, “Who actually does that?” :laugh:

The "no breaking spaghetti" rule is interesting for another reason. I don't do it, and yes that means part of the spaghetti sticks above the water for a minute or two until the spaghetti is flexible enough to get it all into the pot. You'd think this would mean that part of the spaghetti would be undercooked. But no, somehow it all gets to the right doneness at the same time.
some break them because they don't have, o don't want to use, a big pot...and if spaghetti protrude too much they can get burned by the flame or get out of balance and fall out...this is survival choices :laugh:
I don't do it, but don't find it sacrilegious!

I’ve always been puzzled by the coffee thing as well. In old movies, it’s common to hear someone order lunch and coffee as the beverage, like “I’ll have the turkey-and-Swiss on rye, and a cup of coffee,” and I always think, “Who actually does that?” :laugh:
I've seen it often...
I've seen also tourist lamenting about the quantity of coffee in Italy, just a small sip

here if you ask for a coffee, it's an espresso
if you want an american coffee, you must ask for an american coffee (and not everywere in Italy you could have it...), also long coffee is very small for american standard (the same, when I take espresso in the USA I found they give me really a lot of coffee!) :laugh:

I was undoubtedly Italian in a former life.:roflmao::roflmao:
I have to admit, I sometimes eat pizza for breakfast - and did so when I was a student in Florence!
Definitely no pineapple, although each to their own, and absolutely NO ketchup - that´s just being too idle to make a sauce.
Carbonara - no cream. Why would you need it?
And there´s another one I´ll throw into the ring.
Fettucine Alfredo.
Cream? Chicken? Garlic?
Answer honestly, please:rolleyes::rolleyes:

I have this pot that is meant for cooking long pasta
pasta pot.jpg

(photo credit-Amazon)
This works perfectly, especially for Lasagna noodles.

I get most of the "unacceptables" but I don't know why garlic bread as a side dish for pasta is so wrong? :scratchhead:

Also I like Pineapple on Pizza, fight me :ninja::D
Reminds me of the 'Big Night' when the diner asks where is the side of spaghetti with the risotto we ordered, lol.

Only time I break spaghetti is when I'm making a one pot dish and the spaghetti just won't soften quickly enough to sink and cook evenly. Though, honestly, a one pot pasta dish would probably be considered sacreligious in Italy.

Cheese and seafood in an Italian dish, never. But, Cajun cooking, even Creole to a certain degree, has absolutely no problem with that. One of my favorites is crabmeat au gratin. So it depends on the type of cuisine.

I can't even imagine ordering a side of spaghetti with risotto. Course i don't eat mashed potatoes and mac and cheese at the same meal either, but a lot of people do.

Back
Top Bottom