1-3 eggs a day are good for you

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
9:04 PM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
An egg a day (or even 3) is, apparently, good for you which is good news for me because my flock of 5 hens have produced over 24 eggs this week. They are meant to be here in retirement but even my hen in her 6th laying season (meaning she could be anywhere between 5 and 7 years old, but more likely 6 or 7 years old) has lain 5 eggs this week. Which tells me that they have adapted to their new free-range life here well - all except one that is who isn't laying at all, so 24 eggs from 4 laying birds in 7 days. One lays everyday without fail, the others periodically. But back to how many eggs a day is actually now considered good for you, not what was considered good for you back in the 70's, 80's, & 90's...

So, how has it gone from recommending no more than 2 eggs a week to 7-21 eggs a week being just fine?

Well apparently the current view, and I will emphasise that again, the current view with advances in new testing technology is that
"dietary cholesterol is relatively unimportant, the body makes a lot of its own cholesterol far from what you get in your diet and if you eat food with cholesterol your body manufacture less of it,"

More can be found on this here at https://insidefmcg.com.au/2016/10/14/an-egg-a-day-is-ok-leading-nutritionist/ and http://www.aneggadayisok.ca/eggs-cholesterol/an-egg-a-day-is-ok/

I had to giggle at this line in one article though (my bold)... you don't say? Surely anyone can work that one out, can't they?

You’ve probably been conditioned to believe that anything that raises LDL cholesterol (so-called “bad” cholesterol) should be avoided like the plague. But recent research suggests that it’s not the amount of cholesterol in an LDL particle (a.k.a. LDL cholesterol, or LDL-C) that drives heart disease risk, but instead the number of LDL particles in the bloodstream.

I have also found out that a lot of the nutritional information printed on the side of egg packets about the eggs' nutrients comes from laziness and assumption. The nutritional information printed is the same as that of the pellets (or grain mix but often pellets) fed to the birds and it is assumed that this is what is in the egg! :o_o: But I am still looking for a source for this one.

So, will this affect the way you eat eggs? How many you eat or will you just continue on ignoring the recommendations (as I suspect a lot of us do anyway) and enjoy life. I know what I will be doing.

Back
Top Bottom