1 pound medium (26/30) peeled and deveined shrimp, tails removed

2 teaspoons chili powder

Kosher salt

2 tablespoons canola oil

4 scallions, thinly sliced

One 15-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed well

1/3 cup prepared chipotle mayonnaise

2 limes, 1 zested and juiced and 1 cut into wedges

One 14-ounce bag store-bought coleslaw mix (about 6 cups)

1 bunch fresh cilantro, leaves and soft stems roughly chopped

Sour cream or Mexican crema, for serving

8 corn tortillas, warmed

Directions

Heat a large cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Combine the shrimp, chili powder and a large pinch of salt in a medium bowl and stir to combine. Add the canola oil to the hot skillet and swirl to coat. Add the shrimp and cook until the shrimp is no longer opaque and just cooked through, turning only once, about 2 minutes. Transfer the shrimp to a serving bowl and cover loosely with foil to keep warm.

Stir 2 tablespoons of water into the skillet with the dripping, using a wooden spoon or heat-proof spatula to scrape up any browned bits at the bottom of the skillet. Reserve 1 tablespoon scallions for garnish and add the rest to the skillet. Cook until the scallions are slightly softened, stirring frequently, about 1 minute. Add the beans and a large pinch of salt and cook until warmed through, about 1 minute. Turn off the heat and reserve.

In a large bowl, stir together the chipotle mayonnaise, lime zest and juice and a large pinch of salt. Add the coleslaw mix and half of the cilantro and stir to combine.

Serve the shrimp alongside the beans, coleslaw, remaining cilantro, scallions, sour cream or Mexican crema, lime wedges.

Source: Search Page

That looks good, really good if you count in the quickness. Flavor and quick is always a good thing.

Only thing, I've found canned black beans have the canned taste to them, even if rinsed well. I usually put them in a pan, add some garlic and onion powder plus some water and let them cook for a few minutes. That would add a little more time, but worth it to me.

I think I may have an overly developed sense of taste regarding some things given my quinoa issues and the canned taste sensitivity.

Reactions: mjd
That looks good, really good if you count in the quickness. Flavor and quick is always a good thing.

Only thing, I've found canned black beans have the canned taste to them, even if rinsed well. I usually put them in a pan, add some garlic and onion powder plus some water and let them cook for a few minutes. That would add a little more time, but worth it to me.

I think I may have an overly developed sense of taste regarding some things given my quinoa issues and the canned taste sensitivity.
I don't usually used canned beans for anything. I just make the beans and save some in quart size freezer bags for when I need them for a recipe like this. I try to stay away from most canned foods because I have high blood pressure. Canned stuff usually has way too much salt.

I would personally leave the beans out of any seafood taco. Less is more.

Also, the directions say to cook the shrimp until "no longer opaque." But, that must be a typo, since raw shrimp start translucent, and turn opaque when cooked.

CD

Back
Top Bottom