40 Years Ago This Month

40 years ago I was working on my first overseas job. Callantsoog in north Netherlands.

50 years ago I was allocated my first company car.

Lucky you,an estate, my first was a ute.

Russ

A story about collecting that car. I was working in Doncaster at the time and needed to collect the car from Ellesmere Port. I had an old Hillman Minx which my wife and I used to collect the new one. Unlike the one in the picture mine had mirrors mounted on the wings and when we stopped for something to eat on the return journey we had parked in different areas of the pub car park. Prior to leaving, I asked my wife if she would adjust the mirrors whilst I sat in the car because I could see very little in them. The car park attendant walked up, thinking we were both leaving in the Triumph, and said "You can't abandon that old wreck here mate".

Cheeky bugger!

I had to look that model up. I knew what a Hillman is, but not the Minx. These words caught my attention, "... top speed of 67 mph (108 km/h) and could accelerate from 0–60 mph (97 km/h) in 39.7 seconds." :eek:

CD

Mine was actually the Super Minx (inherited from my stepfather). I can't imagine that it was much faster because it was built like a tank.

Being an Anglophile, have you never owned a MINI Cooper? I live in Texas, land of the Super-Size pickup truck, and I have a MINI.

CD
My school friend when we were about 14? Turned up at my house in school holidays driving a red mini, stolen from his older brother. We went " joy riding " for an hour or two. The starter was a button on the floor by the hand brake.
So I've driven a mini. Son bought one but flicked it.

Russ

Being an Anglophile, have you never owned a MINI Cooper? I live in Texas, land of the Super-Size pickup truck, and I have a MINI.

CD
No, though I did drive a used one back in the ‘90’s, right after we’d moved there. We needed a second car, and we drove one and a little Peugeot wagon/estate car, but then my wife decided we’d be better off with a brand new one. :laugh:

Cars…I just like little kooky Euro city cars, they always look fun. My number one choice would probably be…

Wikipedia

No, though I did drive a used one back in the ‘90’s, right after we’d moved there. We needed a second car, and we drove one and a little Peugeot wagon/estate car, but then my wife decided we’d be better off with a brand new one. :laugh:

Cars…I just like little kooky Euro city cars, they always look fun. My number one choice would probably be…

I've driven a half dozen of your spoiler cars. It's too hot in Texas for one. You are sitting on the engine, and the windows don't open very far.

CD

Back
Top Bottom