5 Gallon Bottled Water and Dispenser At Home

flyinglentris

Disabled and Retired Veteran
Local time
4:20 AM
The local water here is very mineral hard. I am considering setting up an at home dispenser for 5 gallon bottles of distilled water.

To outright buy a dispenser is $229 and up, else it can be rented for about $12 to $14 per month, hot and cold controls.

5 gallon bottles of distilled water for delivery is about $10 per month, depending upon the source. The big sources are Arrowhead and Culligan. Local water stores don't deliver, but the 5 gallon bottles go for about as low as 0.25 cents per gallon. I'll have to confirm that.

For member who have dispensers and delivered water, have you had any complaints or issues?

The local water here is very mineral hard. I am considering setting up an at home dispenser for 5 gallon bottles of distilled water.

To outright buy a dispenser is $229 and up, else it can be rented for about $12 to $14 per month, hot and cold controls.

5 gallon bottles of distilled water for delivery is about $10 per month, depending upon the source. The big sources are Arrowhead and Culligan. Local water stores don't deliver, but the 5 gallon bottles go for about as low as 0.25 cents per gallon. I'll have to confirm that.

For member who have dispensers and delivered water, have you had any complaints or issues?

As you may be aware I drink very little water. However, my wife drinks about 36 litres/month which she buys in 500 ml bottles. She either drinks it directly from the bottle or pours it into a cup/glass. I don't think that she'd be happy with distilled water.

As you may be aware I drink very little water. However, my wife drinks about 36 litres/month which she buys in 500 ml bottles. She either drinks it directly from the bottle or pours it into a cup/glass. I don't think that she'd be happy with distilled water.

Some folks may disagree, but water does have flavor which varies depending upon the source and mineral content.

I use a lot of water and drink a lot of liquids. The heavy mineral content of the local water does not make the water taste good and leaves a crusty white residue when it is steamed off or allowed to dry. It takes vinegar or bleach to remove that hard crust.

I am looking to try distilled water because it is devoid of mineral content and is best for use in my CPAP machine. I don't know yet how distilled water tastes as opposed to what they call 'spring water'.

I have thought about water filters, but I don't know how long they would last and the fact that they would be used directly on the tap for everything, from washing dishes to drinking water. I don't know how effective they would be against the kind of mineral crap in the local water either. These filters I believe are typically charcoal filters.

5 gallon bottles of distilled water

Distilled water only contains hydrogen and oxygen molecules.

It doesn't essential minerals that normal water gives you.

If you were really dehydrated and drank 3 liters or a gallon of distilled water you might find yourself going to hospital.

If you were really dehydrated and drank 3 liters or a gallon of distilled water you might find yourself going to hospital.
Are you referring to electrolyte balance? I would suspect that means they're also not eating anything with salt in it otherwise drinking distilled water with a balanced diet should be ok, or am I missing something.

The health risks of drinking distilled water are non-existent in people with healthy diets. Otherwise, the amount consumed is irrelevant, only that without a healthy diet, drinking distilled water does not replace minerals and salts removed from the body through urine and sweat and can effect health, especially by effecting the nerve function through loss of salts used for that. But also, normal organ function and tissue function can be effected as well.

I am not worried about the health issues as I do have a healthy diet and get all the minerals I need. What bothers me about distilled water is the lack of flavor with no minerals in the water.

The health benefits of distilled water are two-fold, 1) elimination of toxic elements from water and 2) elimination of pathogens that may be present in water. Water from springs can contain chemicals, bacteria, viruses or parasites that could make you sick. Spring water is ground water that is collected from where it comes to the surface from underground aquifers or is tapped via some wells, being naturally filtered by layers of sand and other features on the way to surface. Well water is not guaranteed to be free of impurities, pathogens and toxic elements.

There are two other types of water that you can purchase, flouridated water and alkaline water. Flouridated water speaks for itself. Alkaline water supposedly eliminates pathogens that need an acidic environment to flourish. However, it adversely effects the pH of the human body and can cause dry skin, upset stomach and other problems related to the body working overtime to maintain a healthy pH level.

There is also what is called purified water. Spring water is, after being rigidly inspected, considered to be naturally purified. Mechanical purification of water undergoes several processes to remove pathogens and toxic elements and normal tap water is often subjected to these processes in many locations. Spring water can still contain pathogens and toxins, but inspections are supposedly able to guarantee that the possibility is minimal.

We use bottled water at home, because the local water supply is appalling. It´s the only water we drink, apart from the bottled variety.
The water that comes through the tap is used for washing cars, washing clothes, showers and watering plants

Thanks for inputs. I have decided to go ahead with a plan for 5 gallon distilled bottled water, but I have opted to buy some Electrolyte powder to toss into the distilled water that I will drink and use straight distilled water for my CPAP machine.

I have ordered what appears to be a very nice three temperature bottom loader water dispenser, hot, cold and room temps with cold being chilled to 40F. That's on order and I should get it mid-April. I opted to buy the dispenser outright instead of renting one from the water company that I choose to source the water from.

I have ordered 20 packages of Electroyte powder, each package having 10 smaller stick packets,flavored. Each stick packet is supposed to be used with 16.9 Fluid Oz. of water. I already have some of these that I had delivered today and found that one stick worked fine in 64 fluid Oz. of water.

I will get the 5 gallon container of water, my first, after I receive the dispenser and set it up.

I willl get some photos posted after that.

Here we go! I've got the dispenser, the water jugs, the distilled water and some really cheap brand of electolyte powder.

I ran into some probelems with the water company I chose and had to cancel on them. So, instead, I bought the water jugs at the grocery store and filled them from a local water store.

The electrolyte powder I have is really cheap and not very good. I found a much better item from a company called "Trace Minerals" that costs a bit more, but its ingredients are well formulated and don't contain a bunch of chemically nasty stuff that has nothing to do with healthy minerals to add to distilled water. I will get the good stuff and phase the bad stuff out by using a bit of it every now and then. Note that all of these packaged electrolyte and mineral powders tend to be flavored. I have not found any example of a trace mineral packet that is not flavored. It's no biggie. I can deal with it.

Having no great appeal for the ingredients listed for the Great Value electrolyte powders I purchased, I found an alternate, Trace Minerals, which has much better ingredients. You can find the ingredients listed at this link.

Back
Top Bottom