A few irreverent questions re Harry and Meghan.

Mountain Cat

Veteran
Local time
9:45 AM
Website
goatsandgreens.wordpress.com
Being an American, I'm not really sure what all this is about Harry and Megan deciding not to be "senior royals" any more. TBH, I'm not so particularly interested in the Royal Soap Opera at all, and never have been but a few questions come to mind.

1) how do they think this move will help them avoid the press? I mean, they obviously never stopped following Diana after her divorce.
2) why do so many news publications think that this "poor little rich boy" or his wife are going to have any trouble being financially independent after they remove themselves as "seniors". (Will they get not "senior discounts", as if they'd just turned 65???) Harry has his mother's inheritance and Megan has her acting monies. By all I've seen, they get to keep "Frogmore", a mansion/castle named like something out of Harry Potter. Are they planning on putting all that money up their noses? Are they planning on stupendously bad investments such as the one the heir to the Seagram's fortune blew on frivolously bad movie deals? (I know about that one as Dad used to work for Seagram's.)
3) while they don't want publicity they may go on speaking tours? OoooooKay.

Some of this stuff turned up this morning on my MSN News feet that appears when I turn on my computer. I didn't go searching it out, but I'm simply curious in a mild sort of way, and hey, it's a new thread where maybe some of the folks in Britain can spread some enlightenment. Oh, do they get to keep their titles Something-or-Other of Sussex? (I did name one of the new roosters here Archie, as he's a Speckled Sussex.)

Informative or irreverent responses welcomed alike.

More news will likely be released later today as the Queen is having a family meeting. I don't think anyone knows the answers to these questions really. Personally I have no time for the Royals. My feeling is that its probably Megan who has led the way on this move. She couldn't hack the rest of the Royal family and all the rules and regs.

I doubt they would be chased by the press quite as much as Diana - she was due to become Queen, after all. These two are minor royals really. And as you say, lets face it - they are never going to be poor!

I think we'll know more once Queen E. tells Harry exactly where the bear sh!ts in the buckwheat.

My guess is that discussion isn't going to include the phrase, "...but Grandmama..." nearly as much as it's going to contain, "Yes, Your Majesty...I understand, Your Majesty...I'll get right on that, Your Majesty..." :laugh:

At the very least, he's going to have to go stand in the same corner with Prince Andy. :)

I have to say that I do feel a bit bad for Harry, and Meghan too. How many of us would want to be born into a job (however well paying) with no option to change career even if you totally hated it? Reportedly Harry has never liked the royal "job" - this isn't the first time he's expressed a desire to "leave", but has been talked into staying. Now he has his own family and as the younger son, in a few year's time he'll have about as much relevance to the Royal Family as Andrew does today....so can you blame him for trying to make something of his life whilst he's still young enough to have the time to start something new?

Megan has been treated terribly by the British press - no matter what she does they manage to portray it in a negative way. Someone posted this screenshot on my weight loss forum over the weekend:
EN6eO9XXUAA5SQU?format=jpg&name=small.jpg

It kind of sums up that as far as the British press are concerned Kate can do no wrong and Meghan can do no right. Which also probably explains why from reading some press reports its all being portrayed as her fault. Personally, I think this kind of decision is one that can only be made together as a couple: maybe she isn't happy with all the stupid royal rules (I know I wouldn't be), but then neither is he either......if this were a "normal" couple we'd be telling them that if they're both unhappy then they should re-assess and change their lives.

In the end they are two human beings and I really hope they can work everything out so that they can be happy together, raise their family in the way they want to, and be fulfilled in their professional lives. I've no doubt that on the money side they can do it, its just whether the establishment will let them go.

I have to say that I do feel a bit bad for Harry, and Meghan too. How many of us would want to be born into a job (however well paying) with no option to change career even if you totally hated it? Reportedly Harry has never liked the royal "job" - this isn't the first time he's expressed a desire to "leave", but has been talked into staying. Now he has his own family and as the younger son, in a few year's time he'll have about as much relevance to the Royal Family as Andrew does today....so can you blame him for trying to make something of his life whilst he's still young enough to have the time to start something new?

Megan has been treated terribly by the British press - no matter what she does they manage to portray it in a negative way. Someone posted this screenshot on my weight loss forum over the weekend:
View attachment 36662
It kind of sums up that as far as the British press are concerned Kate can do no wrong and Meghan can do no right. Which also probably explains why from reading some press reports its all being portrayed as her fault. Personally, I think this kind of decision is one that can only be made together as a couple: maybe she isn't happy with all the stupid royal rules (I know I wouldn't be), but then neither is he either......if this were a "normal" couple we'd be telling them that if they're both unhappy then they should re-assess and change their lives.

In the end they are two human beings and I really hope they can work everything out so that they can be happy together, raise their family in the way they want to, and be fulfilled in their professional lives. I've no doubt that on the money side they can do it, its just whether the establishment will let them go.

Some people don't like Meghan because she is black and foreign..some corners of this country haven't progressed very far :headshake:

After what happened with his mum, maybe he wants to protect his wife, he was very young when she died, it must have had a deep impact on him.

View attachment 36662

Very interesting about the two different treatments the separate wives may be getting. Just curious - is the Daily Mail considered sort of a celebrity "rag" instead of a decent source of news? (I like reading things from The Guardian, at least usually.)

Some people don't like Meghan because she is black and foreign..some corners of this country haven't progressed very far :headshake:

After what happened with his mum, maybe he wants to protect his wife, he was very young when she died, it must have had a deep impact on him.

I didn't want to raise the black thing, but as you did, I'm inclined to think that way, she obviously has him under the thumb. It's a shame as I like the royals. I never thought she would fit in. Two different backgrounds. She must be good in the sack??

Russ

I didn't want to raise the black thing, but as you did, I'm inclined to think that way, she obviously has him under the thumb. It's a shame as I like the royals. I never thought she would fit in. Two different backgrounds. She must be good in the sack??

Russ
Or they could be in love.

With every job in the World you have the right to hand in your notice, why can't he choose not to continue in a job he never applied for? Also how would you react if at the age of 12 you were made to march down Whitehall behind your mother's coffin whilst the entire planet watched you.

Last edited:
With every job in the World you have the right to hand in your notice, why can't he choose not to continue in a job he never applied for? Also how would you react if at the age of 12 you were made to march down Whithall behind your mother's coffin whilst the entire planet watched you.

I know who I would rather be, not some African poor person with no hope of a decent life, or a life of privilege. It seems they will lose titles and just be known as Megan and Harry. I really feel for the queen though. I love her.

Russ

Russ

Being under her thumb (if he is) has nothing to do with her being of ethnic origin. I think Lullabelle simply meant that some - social media (in particular) here, have been racist. As for whether she is 'good in the sack', who knows? Maybe he is! We can never really know why people get together.

They have different backgrounds but both are famous in their own right and had social media following them before they got together.

Being under her thumb (if he is) has nothing to do with her being of ethnic origin. I think Lullabelle simply meant that some - social media (in particular) here, have been racist. As for whether she is 'good in the sack', who knows? Maybe he is! We can never really know why people get together.

They have different backgrounds but both are famous in their own right and had social media following them before they got together.

I know the Brits are touchy on racism, I was being flippant btw. Lol. I've had good mates meet a new chick, suddenly they change, completely. Human dynamics I guess. I'm a strong personality so I pretty much do what I want, without upsetting anyone. Also we don't know what's going on in the background. Just my 2c.

Russ

No point skirting the issue of race, it is an issue for many as is homosexuality-some folk don't agree with it. We are all entitled to our opinion but some take it a bit too far and turn it into a circus rather than mind their own business.

Whatever happens, as long as they are happy together that is what matters.

Back
Top Bottom