A few irreverent questions re Harry and Meghan.

I've never understood the whole royals thing. From my "Mercan" point of view, the British taxpayers take a hit of tens of millions of dollars to support a multi billionaire family who don't actually do anything.

As for Harry and Megan, Harry married a successful mixed-race American woman. Um, yeah, that's going to get some panties in a wad.

CD
If we didn't have a Monarch we would have to employ a President. How is that going for you?😁

In terms of cost, having a President would cost about the same as the Royal family, with the same need for security, accomodation etc. Our Political leadership is invested in the role of Prime Minister, a role you achieve following years of public service and it mostly works. The British Monarchy needs modernisation, the public purse supports too many of the extended family IMHO and some of the expensive arcane rituals could go. There are examples of well functioning Royal families across Europe, and I see the changes in the role of the Windsor dynasty coming about when Elizabeth leaves the scene.

Mountain Cat - I hear you on the car story. In 1992, we were in the UK, just arrived, and needed to buy a new car for the wife.

For Americans living overseas, there's the option of buying a European car in US dollars at a good price via diplomat sales. They had a little lot with maybe one or two each of Volvo, Saab, BMW, etc cars and a sales rep from each company, who had a full list of cars available, just not on property.

The first car we looked at was the BMW, and the gentleman stepped out of his little sales shed, asked if he could help, and my wife cheerfully said, "Hi, yeah, we just arrived and I need a car."

He looked at her like he'd just stepped in dog crap, then turned to me and asked how he could help. Over the next couple of minutes, she'd try to ask a question, and he'd completely ignore, at one point getting between us and turning his back to her face.

That's how far that went. Both of us immediately turned around and walked away from him without even looking at the car.

As far as your dad, and I'm not even saying this in a negative way, some people don't care so much about "the principle of the thing" as long as the end result is beneficial to them. Maybe as far as your dad was concerned, that was a good car at a good price, so who gives a crap if the guy's sexist or rude or has body odor or any other number of negative things, you're getting the car you want at the price you like.

I'm not like that, though, and neither is my wife. Maybe it's a little kernel of spite that lives in me, but I'd have been damned before I let that ass of a salesman make one penny off us. We ended up buying the Volvo from a woman who looked like Maggie Thatcher!

Just a minor thought or two, since I really don't care a great deal about anything to do with monarchy.

1) Is the ginger one really Charlie's son? The other one definitely looks the part, but not Harry.

2) Surely this is simply a case of a hard Meghxit.

Even if Harry isn't a biological son, it appears that Charles is willing to help support him, and I'm assuming that's for extra costs like security, etc., so he obviously considers him his or at least is saving face. And let's all not forget that Charles married Diana while loving another woman and went back to her eventually. If Diana got some happiness, more power to her!

All the so called senior royals have their personal fortunes and good luck to them. It is a bit annoying that the British tax payer finances what seems to be the day to day life!
You could say the same about Presidents. There is a cost to running a head of State. Some are more honest and benign than others

The Royals and the Queen.

In Guernsey she is known as 'the Duke' as in the Duke of Normandy.

A Short History of Guernsey

Don't mind the Queen and Prince Philip but all the other hangers on get my goat. Giving themselves airs and graces as 'nobility' because one of their ancestors 500 years ago used to wipe the King's bottom.

I just came across this YouTube video with a former Chef for the Queen. Seems she is not a "foodie." The worst thing was that she shares a preference for steaks with our President -- well done! :eek:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCdK_Yzt5XI

CD

Thanks, I really liked that clip. As I get older the more I like the queen. Btw that steak looked absolutely gorgeous. I'm a blue steak but I'd eat that. I love parsnip but never used in conjunction with potatoes, I'm trying that next time. If it's good enough for the queen.......

Russ

I am no royalist, but if you're looking for a monarch that was a foodie, Victoria was quite a scoffer. This is probably evident from the rotund figure she developed as she got older.

I just came across this YouTube video with a former Chef for the Queen. Seems she is not a "foodie." The worst thing was that she shares a preference for steaks with our President -- well done! :eek:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCdK_Yzt5XI

CD

I never understood the 'no garlic' rule, it may be me but for vile breath I can think of much worse things than garlic unless someone ate a whole raw clove.

Back
Top Bottom