A food posioning expert names 6 things he refuses to eat

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
9:06 PM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
I came across this article while looking at the Australian news service and was surprised at a couple of items, and totally unsurprised at others.

http://www.msn.com/en-au/health/nut...-he-refuses-to-eat/ar-BBvrxOV?ocid=spartanntp

1. Raw Oysters
  2. Precut or prewashed fruits and veggies
  3. Rare Meat
  4. Raw Sprouts
  5. Uncooked Eggs
  6. Unpasteurized milk and juices.
Numbers 4 and 6 took me by surprise. I have eaten them most of my life.
Uncooked eggs came as no surprise but I still eat them and have never had any issues.

Precut or prewashed fruit and veg comes as absolutely no surprise to me and I won't use/eat them especially the salads unless they are very fresh and from a reputable source.

Are there any surprises for you?

What about pre-washed raw sprouts?

No. 2 Eaten enough raw veggies whilst cutting them.
No. 6. I've used milk that's only been carried to the house, and put through the filtering cloth.

I believe that number 2 is referring to the trend of washed and prepared prepackaged fruit and veg and also salad leaves etc (salad leaves are a really bad source of issues).
As for unpasteurised milk - used to love it. much preferred it to pasteurised milk, but sadly the old green top got harder and harder to find, but I was still drinking it back when my brother was at uni. He was born in '75 so guess that would make it about 20 years ago.

The only astonishing thing is that some 'expert' has been paid a large amount of cash for coming up with what most of us have known almost since birth.
PS - Sprouts should be cooked for at least four months - anything else is just raw. We usually put our Christmas sprouts on around mid july.:rolleyes:

I came across this article while looking at the Australian news service and was surprised at a couple of items, and totally unsurprised at others.

http://www.msn.com/en-au/health/nut...-he-refuses-to-eat/ar-BBvrxOV?ocid=spartanntp

1. Raw Oysters
  2. Precut or prewashed fruits and veggies
  3. Rare Meat
  4. Raw Sprouts
  5. Uncooked Eggs
  6. Unpasteurized milk and juices.
Numbers 4 and 6 took me by surprise. I have eaten them most of my life.
Uncooked eggs came as no surprise but I still eat them and have never had any issues.

Precut or prewashed fruit and veg comes as absolutely no surprise to me and I won't use/eat them especially the salads unless they are very fresh and from a reputable source.

Are there any surprises for you?
I've eaten them all and have NEVER had food poisoning. In fact, I eat oysters whenever I can (at least once a week normally but I'd eat them everyday if I could!)). Its a very strange list - no mayonnaise for this expert them - and how does s/he manage to eat all his/her veg whole?:laugh:

Last Sunday's lunch in Saffron Walden market (with champagne):

IMGP1317.jpg

I believe that number 2 is referring to the trend of washed and prepared prepackaged fruit and veg and also salad leaves etc (salad leaves are a really bad source of issues).
As for unpasteurised milk - used to love it. much preferred it to pasteurised milk, but sadly the old green top got harder and harder to find, but I was still drinking it back when my brother was at uni. He was born in '75 so guess that would make it about 20 years ago.
Last had un pasturised milk, from cow to cuppa in under 20 minutes, in December '96. Roads blocked with snow and no way out to the nearest shop six miles away.

The pre washed/packed would be washed whatever the source. They sweat too much in bags.

The pre washed/packed would be washed whatever the source. They sweat too much in bags.
hence the problem. they sweat in warm conditions ideal for salmonella on them to multiply and most people don't wash them, or don't wash them thoroughly.

and how does s/he manage to eat all his/her veg whole?:laugh:
It isn't a case of don't sut up your veg, its the prepackaged, prepared stuff that people purchase to save time. Those pre-cut pre-washed carrots that people buy (like my sister), those ready cut up potatoes, that are all just a case of bung in water to cook (in the case of my sister the microwave), rather than loose veg that you wash and chop yourself.

It isn't a case of don't sut up your veg, its the prepackaged, prepared stuff that people purchase to save time. Those pre-cut pre-washed carrots that people buy (like my sister), those ready cut up potatoes, that are all just a case of bung in water to cook (in the case of my sister the microwave), rather than loose veg that you wash and chop yourself.
I know that's what was meant - I was just making a feeble joke. Hence the smiley. :) But in any case I fail to see why pre cut up veg would be any more dangerous than pre cut up or minced meats - they too, 'sweat' in the packaging. And why raw sprouts but not raw broccoli, cabbage or other greens?

Cabbage you'd seldom boil in one piece, sprouts you'd seldom tear apart before boiling.

Broccoli would be classed as pre-washed veggies(No. 2's).

Cabbage you'd seldom boil in one piece, sprouts you'd seldom tear apart before boiling.

Broccoli would be classed as pre-washed veggies(No. 2's).
I still don't follow the logic. Why is a whole raw sprout more dangerous than a chunk of raw cabbage (not pre-cut)?

I'm answering my own question here. The raw sprouts which are being referred to are bean sprouts (or similar) not brussels sprouts. Extract from original full article:

Raw sprouts. Uncooked and lightly cooked sprouts have been linked to more than 30 bacterial outbreaks (mostly of salmonellaand E. coli) in the US since mid-1990s. As recently as 2014, salmonella from bean sprouts sent 19 people to the hospital. All types of sprouts—including alfalfa, mung bean, clover and radish sprouts—can spread infection, which is caused by bacterial contamination of their seeds. “There have been too many outbreaks to not pay attention to the risk of sprout contamination,” Marler says. “Those are products that I just don’t eat at all.” He did add that he does eat them if they’re cooked.

http://bottomlinehealth.com/health-...pert-wont-eatand-one-surprising-food-he-will/

why pre cut up veg would be any more dangerous than pre cut up or minced meats - they too, 'sweat' in the packaging.
Meat would probably be much more dangerous BUT people tend to take more care with meat so I suppose the statistics [ !!! ] show it as safer.
Oysters and champagne [not for me but each to his/her own] and steak and beer cover all food groups anyway - the old ways are the best :D

hence the problem. they sweat in warm conditions ideal for salmonella on them to multiply and most people don't wash them, or don't wash them thoroughly.

You sold your sister!!

I've eaten them all and have NEVER had food poisoning. In fact, I eat oysters whenever I can (at least once a week normally but I'd eat them everyday if I could!)). Its a very strange list - no mayonnaise for this expert them - and how does s/he manage to eat all his/her veg whole?:laugh:

Last Sunday's lunch in Saffron Walden market (with champagne):

View attachment 3061

We eat oysters at least once a year when on a mini break in Aldeburgh, last year TVC had horrendous food poisoning from 1 so he hasn't touched them since. Shame because they are nice.

The only astonishing thing is that some 'expert' has been paid a large amount of cash for coming up with what most of us have known almost since birth.
PS - Sprouts should be cooked for at least four months - anything else is just raw. We usually put our Christmas sprouts on around mid july.:rolleyes:

:laugh:

Back
Top Bottom