A food you dislike that everyone else seems to love?

Yeah, I think that it is the texture that grosses me out. Makes me fell like I got a big blob of fat in my mouth!! :headshake: :stop:

I know plenty of people that are textural eaters like that - things like tofu, jell-o, custard, yogurts and so forth are just on the "no way!" list for them, because they just don't like the feeling of the food in their mouths!

I think it's pretty normal because I honestly know 5 or more people that have told me they don't like those specific foods because of the texture!

I don't mind Jello, custard or yogurt because I know what I'm getting into when I eat it. But tofu is always pretending to be something it's not. At work there may be a dish which appears to be chicken cubes with vegetables which turns out to be tofu cubes with vegetables. When I bite into tofu when I'm expection chicken, it makes me want to yark. I really don't care for the gelatinous texture of tofu as main dish. Perhaps if they mixed it with sugar and cinnamon with chocolate sauce on top and served it for dessert, I wouldn't mind it so much.

I really wish I liked scallops, but I don't. They are a popular ingredient at the moment and are used a lot on cooking programs. I think they look absolutely divine. It is the texture that I don't like though. They remind me of shellfish flavored marshmallows. I have tried them a few times and will probably try them again at some point in the future as there are many things that I have said for years that I do not like and then have acquired a taste for them.

I really wish I liked scallops, but I don't. They are a popular ingredient at the moment and are used a lot on cooking programs. I think they look absolutely divine. It is the texture that I don't like though. They remind me of shellfish flavored marshmallows. I have tried them a few times and will probably try them again at some point in the future as there are many things that I have said for years that I do not like and then have acquired a taste for them.

I know what you mean about the texture! They aren't the top of my shellfish list. They are quite sweet and mild in taste, best offset with something earthy and/or tangy. I often cook them because other people love them and, as you say, they look divine, perched with their nutty brown caramelised tops on a bed of deepest green samphire, or a pungent disc of black pudding.

I know what you mean about the texture! They aren't the top of my shellfish list. They are quite sweet and mild in taste, best offset with something earthy and/or tangy. I often cook them because other people love them and, as you say, they look divine, perched with their nutty brown caramelised tops on a bed of deepest green samphire, or a pungent disc of black pudding.
I really like scallops, but they are quite expensive here so I only buy them for special occasions. I must admit there is "sweet spot" I aim for when cooking them, somewhere between too squishy and hard as rubber.

I love the "shellfish flavored marshmallow" reference. I laughed out loud. I know exactly what you mean.

I hate steak. Everyone else seems to absolutely love it. Everyone in my family loves it. Most of my friends love it. I really can't stand it. I don't know what it is about steak I don't like but I've always hated it.

I hate steak. Everyone else seems to absolutely love it. Everyone in my family loves it. Most of my friends love it. I really can't stand it. I don't know what it is about steak I don't like but I've always hated it.
I know what you mean. Until recently I couldn't eat it at all. This was because:
  1. I was a vegetarian during adolescent years and somehow never got round to liking slabs of steak (it was he last frontier, so to speak!)
  2. At the point where I was prepared to try it (about 15 years ago) my teeth were shot and I couldn't chew it!
  3. When I did first try it, it was overcooked and chewy.
Well, now, I have my teeth fixed (at great expense, I might add :() and I have started to eat steak. I find that I only really like fillet steak, very rare. Other cuts are too chewy for me. Its still not my all time favourite food by a long chalk. To be honest, I don't think steak has a huge taste (but perhaps I've never had top quality stuff?) I'd like to try Wagyu though!!! Chance would be a fine thing...

Salmon. Everyone seems to adore it, but it really doesn't do anything for me. I was visiting a friend in the Pacific Northwest, and it's very prevalent there, and everyone was raving about it, but I found it rather distasteful. I'd much rather have shellfish or cod, catfish, etc., pretty much any seafood other than salmon. It could be because I'm from the East Coast and live on the Gulf Coast, so my tastes have developed based on what I've been exposed to, but I just don't find it to be something I care to have again .

I know what you mean. Until recently I couldn't eat it at all. This was because:
  1. I was a vegetarian during adolescent years and somehow never got round to liking slabs of steak (it was he last frontier, so to speak!)
  2. At the point where I was prepared to try it (about 15 years ago) my teeth were shot and I couldn't chew it!
  3. When I did first try it, it was overcooked and chewy.
Well, now, I have my teeth fixed (at great expense, I might add :() and I have started to eat steak. I find that I only really like fillet steak, very rare. Other cuts are too chewy for me. Its still not my all time favourite food by a long chalk. To be honest, I don't think steak has a huge taste (but perhaps I've never had top quality stuff?) I'd like to try Wagyu though!!! Chance would be a fine thing...

I've never been a fan of it however it was done. I'm not sure what it is. I think it's the taste I don't like. I'm not really a big meat eater generally but steak is one I just really can't stand. I can totally see why the chewiness would put you off. I'm sure this is part of what I don't like to be honest. I'm quite a big fan of chicken and pork and neither of those you really have to chew a lot. I'm also not keen on chewing gum or that kind of thing so the chewiness would make sense as to why I don't like it.

I'm glad to hear you've tried it again and since trying it you're able to put up with it more! It sounds like having your teeth fixed helped you a lot with it, even if you're still not a fan. I'm sure it's made eating a lot more things possible! :)

I'm glad to hear you've tried it again and since trying it you're able to put up with it more! It sounds like having your teeth fixed helped you a lot with it, even if you're still not a fan. I'm sure it's made eating a lot more things possible! :)
Oh definitely. It had got to the point where I was on baby food! Now I can bight into a crisp apple! :D

Salmon. Everyone seems to adore it, but it really doesn't do anything for me. I was visiting a friend in the Pacific Northwest, and it's very prevalent there, and everyone was raving about it, but I found it rather distasteful. I'd much rather have shellfish or cod, catfish, etc., pretty much any seafood other than salmon. It could be because I'm from the East Coast and live on the Gulf Coast, so my tastes have developed based on what I've been exposed to, but I just don't find it to be something I care to have again .
Salmon isn't anywhere near the top of my fish list either. I find it slightly sickly... its quite an oily fish, (very good for Omega 3, I'm sure!). Funny thing is that I do like smoked salmon - very much! What do you feel about smoked salmon?

Why did I write bight? What is that (well, a curve, as you point out)? Obviously, I meant bite. Starting to worry that I might have that thing which older people get, which means you forget things. Can't remember what its called...
Loss of memory!

Back
Top Bottom