A pasta diet?

You are in Italy, where GOOD pasta is a thing. Here - nope - here most pasta you buy in supermarkets (where most of us in the US obtain it) is junk food.

Saranak lives in Birmingham, UK not Italy. She does make her own pasta. In the UK we have pasta in supermarkets (well we used to!) made in Italy from Durum Wheat mainly. What are they doing to the pasta in the US that is so bad?

Saranak lives in Birmingham, UK not Italy. She does make her own pasta. In the UK we have pasta in supermarkets (well we used to!) made in Italy from Durum Wheat mainly. What are they doing to the pasta in the US that is so bad?

Apologies Saranak for location...
A lot of pasta has been stripped of nutrients and is easily metabolized into straight out sugars and starches. The high glycemic factor.

Depends on your pasta. Here in America the carbs are released quickly, and I suspect the same is true in Britain. You are in Italy, where GOOD pasta is a thing. Here - nope - here most pasta you buy in supermarkets (where most of us in the US obtain it) is junk food.
I no in Italia I Birmingham UK , Pasta is how much love put into. Pasta is simple thing passion make good; use right things an Ba ba ba, I sorry pasta is no good where you are. I make pasta as mama and nonna did please forgive I no Italian I Napulitano. I happy to give you recipes for pasta I make.

Sarana x

I could quite happily live on pasta and bread.....two of my favourite foods :hungry: Luckily I have plenty of pasta in the cupboard - Barillia was half price in Ocado a few month's ago so I stocked up :okay: but I only have a couple of kilos of bread flour left, and because hubby is working from home at the moment we're going through bread a lot faster than normal so I'll be hunting around for some at the weekend - fingers crossed!

A lot of pasta has been stripped of nutrients and is easily metabolized into straight out sugars and starches. The high glycemic factor.
Apparently if you let pasta go cold and then re-heat, it changes somehow and it's glycemic index is lowered.....sounds strange but apparently true!

I could quite happily live on pasta and bread.....two of my favourite foods :hungry: Luckily I have plenty of pasta in the cupboard - Barillia was half price in Ocado a few month's ago so I stocked up :okay: but I only have a couple of kilos of bread flour left, and because hubby is working from home at the moment we're going through bread a lot faster than normal so I'll be hunting around for some at the weekend - fingers crossed!

Apparently if you let pasta go cold and then re-heat, it changes somehow and it's glycemic index is lowered.....sounds strange but apparently true!
Always use fresh. The dough can keep for little time,

Sarana x

Yes - but a lot of folk will chuck any food away if they consider it 'old'. Maybe this crisis is about to change that...
That, and they're no doubt buying things they'd normally never buy, so as soon as this passes, they'll look at a can of succotash and say, "Blech! Why'd I ever buy this?!," and out it'll go.

I went to the Co-op this morning for a few basics and had a look around, entirely out of nosiness. The pasta shelves were reduced to a couple of packets of spaghetti and there wasn't a toilet roll to be seen.

As I said to the woman at the till, "What's the betting that in about six months' time, there will be thousands of packs of unused pasta getting thrown into bins across the country?"

At least pasta has a long shelf life. Here, the stores are empty of potatoes and onions. Those go bad. They will be first to go in the trash.

CD

The glycemic index of pasta depends on the flour used to make it. Highly processed flour has a high glycemic index, so the pasta made with it will too.

You can get nutritious pasta here, but you have to do your homework.

CD

I need to know more about pasta, I have a machine to make my own, this winter I will be trying to make ravioli etc. I need to know more before I start. I think I'll get a book on pasta and fillings, I have frozen prawns pork crayfish etc here to make it.

Russ

I need to know more about pasta, I have a machine to make my own, this winter I will be trying to make ravioli etc. I need to know more before I start. I think I'll get a book on pasta and fillings, I have frozen prawns pork crayfish etc here to make it.

Russ

Good luck. Its basically very easy. All you need is flour and eggs. If you have no shortage of either its worth setting side a bit of time to make a small amount of dough and practice running it through the pasta machine until you get the hang of it.

Back
Top Bottom