A Peppery Mess

Usually I season before or after, but soups and fried eggs have to happen in the pan.

Because they've got to be seasoned both sides (so at least over-easy eggs), and once you get them out of the pan, they're hard to flip.

You flip them back over and then take them out of the pan. I like to season my eggs after I break the yolk or cut them up.

You flip them back over and then take them out of the pan. I like to season my eggs after I break the yolk or cut them up.
They're harder for me to flip once they're on the plate than when they're in the pan.

Because they've got to be seasoned both sides (so at least over-easy eggs), and once you get them out of the pan, they're hard to flip.

In the UK, over easy eggs are not really made commonly. In fact, after reading the last few posts I feeI mildly confused about exactly how and why they are cooked this way. I need a video...

I much prefer to see that orange yolk (its better for food photos too) so just baste fat around it from the top.

In the UK, over easy eggs are not really made commonly. In fact, after reading the last few posts I feeI mildly confused about exactly how and why they are cooked this way. I need a video...

I much prefer to see that orange yolk (its better for food photos too) so just baste fat around it from the top.
The runny eggs I've posted have all been over easy.

In American diners, fried eggs are generally offered sunny-side up (fried on one side), over easy (fried on both sides, though barely on the second side, so the yolk is still runny, but the thin layer of white covering the yolk is cooked), over medium (fried both sides, and the yolk is still shiny/wet, but mainly holds together), and over hard (fried both sides, yolk cooked through, like a hard-boiled egg).

As to the reason...it's just personal preference. My wife won't eat a sunny side up egg, neither would my mom or dad. Some people like the edges fried crispy, some people want the whole thing cooked low and slow.

Me, I like eggs enough that I'll eat them any which way I get them, though my preference is either sunny side up or over easy, unless I'm having it on some sort of sandwich that I have to eat with my hands, then I want it over medium, because I don't want any yolk messing up my hand.

Also, there is a lot of personal variance in the way people define over-easy/medium/hard and you'll frequently find people arguing about the finer points of the definitions.

One I made recently:

fullsizeoutput_4c49.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom