A proper fish pie

SandwichShortOfAPicnic

Über Member
Local time
1:43 AM
[Mod.Edit This post copied from another thread to form a new topic. My bold to hilight the topic (MG)]

Voluminous groceries have been delivered.

The potatoes for the potato salad are cooked.
I have to ask why is pre-made potato salad so awful compared with homemade? It’s not even the same ball park, it’s like a different dish!

Next up the kedgeree, Ill leave it a bit undercooked so it improves on a reheat as birthday boy tends to like it hot on his birthday and cold after.

Then I have a little extra surprise for post pig out BBQ (steak, sausages, lamb koftas, bbq flavoured chicken, prawn skewers, wagyu burgers n all the trimmings) of a proper fish pie.

This is something he won’t remember eating because two family members don’t get on with fish pie so I stopped making it years ago and it’s just fallen off restaurant menus.
I’m looking forward to seeing his reaction to that!

Last edited by a moderator:
Needs a new thread! I'm not a huge fan myself although I love fish. Too often they can be sad over-creamy, cloying affairs with gooey mash on top.
I love a good seafood quiche but I've never had fish pie.

They are very variable affairs. They probably dropped off restaurant menus because no-one wants to eat the sad over creamy affairs Morning Glory describes. Like any pie but especially fish pie the main component can be sadly absent.

Personally I can't abide a chicken pie thats mostly sweetcorn, a beef pie thats mostly gravy or a fish pie that's mostly peas!
No peas in my fish pie thats for sure!

Fish pie? Don't think I've ever made one, but my dear friend made one for us a few years ago, when we were in the UK. Tasty, for sure. Would I want to replicate it? No - I prefer my fish whole and not mixed with other bits and pieces.

Fish pie? Don't think I've ever made one, but my dear friend made one for us a few years ago, when we were in the UK. Tasty, for sure. Would I want to replicate it? No - I prefer my fish whole and not mixed with other bits and pieces.
Fish pie can be whole fish and covered in whatever topping floats your boat.
The trick is if using different types of fish is to keep the fish in large unbroken chunks, timing is crucial, whole (well boned) pieces works well too.

Fish pie can be whole fish and covered in whatever topping floats your boat.
The trick is if using different types of fish is to keep the fish in large unbroken chunks, timing is crucial, whole (well boned) pieces works well too.

Like this?

1688508981736.png

CD

Back
Top Bottom