Abstract Cakes

mjd

Veteran
Local time
6:54 AM
These are so beautiful so I wanted to share them with you. ;-)

Abstract Cakes Topped With Chocolate Brushstrokes

unnamed (2).jpg

unnamed (4).jpg

unnamed (1).jpg

It's not hard to make the brushstrokes, you just melt white chocolate, color it and then take an offset spatula and paint the strokes on parchment or a silpat, chill to harden. The hard part is the color coordinating and the fondant work.

Trust me, you don't need help. Just put a blob of the chocolate down, flatten it out by putting the rounded tip of the spatula in the center far edge of the blob and pull toward you. If you don't like the swipe, simply scrape the chocolate up with your spatula and try again. Wipe the spatula off between swipes. Work with 1 blob at a time at first, keep the chocolate just warm enough to work with, stirring between swipes so you don't get any scorching.

You can also use ice shards to decorate cakes. Simply melt sugar with just a bit of water, but don't let it start to darken, pour it out onto parchment or silpat lined pan, let it harden, then break it up. You can color it with food coloring as well.

If you want to get really fancy, you can make a frame with royal icing and then fill it with melted colored sugar to make faux stained glass.

Last edited:
medtran49, you certainly make it sound easy. I've saved your post and will try this the next time I get to see my kids. I bet they would love helping with this. I used to cook and bake with them all the time when they lived with me.

Thanks for taking the time to explain it for me!

You can also add extract to the melted sugar art to flavor it.

I made 1 of the DGDs a Frozen birthday cake 1 year. Got some small plastic Frozen characters (also a bonus birthday present) and used them and clear and blue "ice" to decorate the cake among other things.

You can also add extract to the melted sugar art to flavor it.

I made 1 of the DGDs a Frozen birthday cake 1 year. Got some small plastic Frozen characters (also a bonus birthday present) and used them and clear and blue "ice" to decorate the cake among other things.
You mean an extract that complements the cake flavor, right? Can you give me an example, please?

You mean an extract that complements the cake flavor, right? Can you give me an example, please?
Yes. Whatever flavor you like. There are all kinds of flavored extracts. Vanilla with just about any cake. Raspberry with chocolate or vanilla. Banana woth chocolate or peanut butter. Orange with chocolate. Mint with chocolate. Just pick what you want.

Trust me, you don't need help. Just put a blob of the chocolate down, flatten it out by putting the rounded tip of the spatula in the center far edge of the blob and pull toward you. If you don't like the swipe, simply scrape the chocolate up with your spatula and try again. Wipe the spatula off between swipes. Work with 1 blob at a time at first, keep the chocolate just warm enough to work with, stirring between swipes so you don't get any scorching.

You can also use ice shards to decorate cakes. Simply melt sugar with just a bit of water, but don't let it start to darken, pour it out onto parchment or silpat lined pan, let it harden, then break it up. You can color it with food coloring as well.

If you want to get really fancy, you can make a frame with royal icing and then fill it with melted colored sugar to make faux stained glass.

You make it sound so easy, would it work with my two left hands? :)

Russ

Back
Top Bottom