Adding Truvia Stevia

Works like sugar for beverages, baking and cooking, but since it isn't exactly sugar, I wouldn't use it if I were making anything that called for melted sugar (like a caramel or caramelized sugar).

Interestingly, there is a more appropriate blend of Truvia for baking... Found it:
Truvia® Cane Sugar Blend

Truvia's site has a conversion calculator, but its not working for me. I found this instead:
Can you bake with Truvia? – Kitchen

The tablets didn't do anything, but the Truvia did. I added it at the end and it seemed OK. Maybe next time I'll add it at the beginning.
This came up again as I followed a recipe for a chocolate fondant which was delicious, but obviously not nutritious. I'm trying to replicate it with Quinoa, 70% dark chocolate as in the fondant and trying to work out whether to use sugar, stevia or maple syrup. I guess it's trial and error.

What I do now is boil the quinoa then simmer the quinoa in water for 10 minutes as I find the quinoa does not become translucent when boiled in milk.
Then add about 175ml of milk, turn the heat back up making sure to remove the lid before it bubbles over.
Once it as thick as I want then I switch the gas off and leave to stand for 5 minutes.
Then add 2 tbsp of cacao, 1/8 tsp of salt, 1 tbsp of stevia, 1 tbsp of maple syrup. If I'm having it for dinner add 18g of 70% Green and Blacks dark chocolate.
I tried cinammon, but I don't think it worked very well. I tried ground paprika, but I'm not convinced it has much effect
This all came from trying to replicate the flavour I experienced in a chocolate fondant without the unhealthy coconut oil and sugar that the recipe uses.
It seems nice to me. Any thoughts? I'm sure this could be improved.

2 tsp of smoked paprika and 1/8 of cinnamon is great. I use a tbsp of truvia not stevia. Tiny bit of cayenne pepper may appeal to some.

Last edited:
I added 1 tsp of pure vanilla extract and noticed no change in the flavour of the quinoa. Is this what you would expect? I tried the extract on its own (quarter of a teaspoon) and it certainly had its own flavour.
Are there any ingredients in the above recipe that cancel out the flavour of the vanilla extract? What's the best way to experience its flavour in a sweet recipe?

I´ve seen recipes for sweet quinoa - basically a sort of "arroz con leche". I can envisage adding vanilla extract, cream, milk, and some form of sugar. If you want more vanilla flavour, then simply add more extract.
I wouldn´t want to add paprika to that, however. For savoury quinoa, yes - if you could get hold of some Peruvian "Chile Amarillo" - yellow chiles - ok. I think I´d avoid the cinnamon too.

When did you add the vanilla (sorry if I missed that)? If added early over a long cooking period, it can sort of cook out.

I added the vanilla right at the end. I find that the smoked paprika makes the cinnamon and sweetness combine much better.

If you were adding butter to this recipe, how much would you add and when would you add it?
I'm thinking of adding it at the same time as the chocolate or right at the end with the other ingredients.
Do you think there is any nutritional, texture or taste value in letting the quinoa sit for 5 minutes?

If you were adding butter to this recipe, how much would you add and when would you add it?
I'm thinking of adding it at the same time as the chocolate or right at the end with the other ingredients.
Do you think there is any nutritional, texture or taste value in letting the quinoa sit for 5 minutes?
Both sitting for an extra 5 minutes and adding butter would be a preference and not going to change anything fundamental.

Back
Top Bottom