Alright, my Spaghetti Sauce

Termyn8or

Local time
7:09 AM
Wow, it is letting me edit, I feel so speshul. :)

Prep time, 45 min.- an hour, totl 4 hours plus to really cook it.

I have probably mentioned the rosemary/fennel tea. For a pot of sauce, I have this brand of canned sauce and whole tomatoes that has a fantastic flavor and no sugar. I am figuring like 4-15oz. cans tomatoes and maybe 6-8oz. cans of sauce.

So you need about a cup of nice brown rosemary/fennel tea. I would just use the big saucepot for that and make it at least an inch deep off the bottom.

After that is made and strained, mince and probably food process up a whole garlic and a whole onion. Put that in the tea. Throw in a little olive oil and white wine. Get the spices together.

You might want less but I would use.

For the rosemary/fennel seed bag; 1½ tsp. dried rosemary, 1½ tsp. fennel seeds. Coffee filter, paper clip
1½ tblsp. Oregano
1½ tblsp. Basil
1½ tblsp. Thyme
1½ tblsp. Celery seed
1 tblsp. Sea salt, add more if you wish.
½ tblsp. Ceyenne powder, more is of course fine.
1 med to large onion
1 garlic
6 8 oz. cans of Pitsweet brand sauce.
14 15 oz. cnas Pictsweet whole tomatoes
Once that is simmering it is time to make the meatballs. I have found that meatballs take about an ounce of meat each. So sixteen is not unreasonable so that is the amount.

Pound of ground beef
Half a large onion, or a medium
Almost ½ a garlic
Two eggs.
Up to 1 cup Breadcrumbs.
Shaken on grated romano cheese
About 3 oz. grated mozzarella cheese, might not use all
About two teaspoons each of sea salt and black pepper

After everything else is in the bowl, the grated cheeses go in as well as the eggs. The mix wil be too loose and sticky. Add breadcrumbs until it behaves to your satisfaction.

Fry.

With the grease put the balls in the sauce after they are firm enough to survive.

Fry the sausage brown, but it does not have to be cooked completely. Throw it in with its grease..

Simmer.

The grease will come to the top, If there is any scum on it take it off and stir the grease back in. The cooking itme shoud be about three hours, during that time skim and stir the grease back in three times or more if you feel like it. That last time, remove it. It can cook little more as yo prep the spaghetti. If you catch grease again good. You needed the grease for cooking, you do not need it for eating.

Of course the spaghetti is past al dente, but not overcooked. After boiling it, get big pan that can go on the oven. Put the boiled spaghetti in there, throw in a little romano cheese and bake it a bit.

Sometimes, when you make a plate of this stuff there is like water at the bottom of the plate, that did not all come from the sauce. Most of it was squeezed out of the noodles by the weight of the sauce bearing down on it. You can make it so you need a fork to eat the sauce and this can still happen.

Note that I used to cook the sausage a long time in the sauce. it did the sauce good but not the sausage which came out band. Now with the spices I use it is no longer dependent on that so it goes in for less time and comes out with alot more flavor than in the past.

Sometimes I make garlic bread and then there is the salad. Standard Italian salad. I got the best Italian dressing in town, from a local restaurant called Stancato's. I got more than lettuce and tomato in there. I got onion, green pepper, hot banana peppers, olives, a couple other things I can't think of right now. Also usually a little mozzarella and pepperoni on top.

And I recommend having three beers or drinks before doing this.

Is that closer to a recipe format ? I mean acceptable.

T

Last edited:
Reactions: mjd
Wow, it is letting me edit, I feel so speshul. :)

Prep time, 45 min.- an hour, totl 4 hours plus to really cook it.

I have probably mentioned the rosemary/fennel tea. For a pot of sauce, I have this brand of canned sauce and whole tomatoes that has a fantastic flavor and no sugar. I am figuring like 4-15oz. cans tomatoes and maybe 6-8oz. cans of sauce.

So you need about a cup of nice brown rosemary/fennel tea. I would just use the big saucepot for that and make it at least an inch deep off the bottom.

After that is made and strained, mince and probably food process up a whole garlic and a whole onion. Put that in the tea. Throw in a little olive oil and white wine. Get the spices together.

You might want less but I would use.

For the rosemary/fennel seed bag; 1½ tsp. dried rosemary, 1½ tsp. fennel seeds. Coffee filter, paper clip
1½ tblsp. Oregano
1½ tblsp. Basil
1½ tblsp. Thyme
1½ tblsp. Celery seed
1 tblsp. Sea salt, add more if you wish.
½ tblsp. Ceyenne powder, more is of course fine.
1 med to large onion
1 garlic
6 8 oz. cans of Pitsweet brand sauce.
14 15 oz. cnas Pictsweet whole tomatoes
Once that is simmering it is time to make the meatballs. I have found that meatballs take about an ounce of meat each. So sixteen is not unreasonable so that is the amount.

Pound of ground beef
Half a large onion, or a medium
Almost ½ a garlic
Two eggs.
Up to 1 cup Breadcrumbs.
Shaken on grated romano cheese
About 3 oz. grated mozzarella cheese, might not use all
About two teaspoons each of sea salt and black pepper

After everything else is in the bowl, the grated cheeses go in as well as the eggs. The mix wil be too loose and sticky. Add breadcrumbs until it behaves to your satisfaction.

Fry.

With the grease put the balls in the sauce after they are firm enough to survive.

Fry the sausage brown, but it does not have to be cooked completely. Throw it in with its grease..

Simmer.

The grease will come to the top, If there is any scum on it take it off and stir the grease back in. The cooking itme shoud be about three hours, during that time skim and stir the grease back in three times or more if you feel like it. That last time, remove it. It can cook little more as yo prep the spaghetti. If you catch grease again good. You needed the grease for cooking, you do not need it for eating.

Of course the spaghetti is past al dente, but not overcooked. After boiling it, get big pan that can go on the oven. Put the boiled spaghetti in there, throw in a little romano cheese and bake it a bit.

Sometimes, when you make a plate of this stuff there is like water at the bottom of the plate, that did not all come from the sauce. Most of it was squeezed out of the noodles by the weight of the sauce bearing down on it. You can make it so you need a fork to eat the sauce and this can still happen.

Note that I used to cook the sausage a long time in the sauce. it did the sauce good but not the sausage which came out band. Now with the spices I use it is no longer dependent on that so it goes in for less time and comes out with alot more flavor than in the past.

Sometimes I make garlic bread and then there is the salad. Standard Italian salad. I got the best Italian dressing in town, from a local restaurant called Stancato's. I got more than lettuce and tomato in there. I got onion, green pepper, hot banana peppers, olives, a couple other things I can't think of right now. Also usually a little mozzarella and pepperoni on top.

And I recommend having three beers or drinks before doing this.

Is that closer to a recipe format ? I mean acceptable.

T

Mod.Comment: Thank you for amending the recipe and adding quantities of ingredients. Yes - this is much better to read.

I like the use of all those herbs in the sauce.

Last edited:
Sorry, hope you don’t mind me asking but I am not sure what you mean with tea :scratchhead:In my mind, I’ve figured out it’s the tea you drink?
Maybe it’s an American slang?

I think he means rosemary and fennel tea made by putting the rosemary and fennel seeds into a coffee filter and steeping in a cup of boiling water. The resulting tea is then mixed with the onion and garlic, olive oil and wine and then added to the sauce with the other ingredients. This isn't very clear in the instructions.

Mod.Comment: Thank you for amending the recipe and adding quantities of ingredients. Yes - this is much better to read.

I like the use of all those herbs in the sauce.

Well thank you. Just so everyone knows they are the chef and they can modify it. These are the approximate values, but without them how does someone know if you mean 3 ounces of a spice or a teaspoon ?

So I get it.

The spice levels are actually a bit tame, adjust them high or low, whichever. When I make mine sometimes I keep a can of raw sauce aroud for those who find it too spicy, just mix some of the virgin stuff in there and dilute the spices.

T

Termyn8or, I love spaghetti. I hated it as a kid but I think it was because my grandmother added too much wine and about six of us (cousins) all passed out afterward (no joke). Maybe it was intentional to keep us off her nerves. LOL.

Thanks for posting. I've bookmarked this. ;-)

I think he means rosemary and fennel tea made by putting the rosemary and fennel seeds into a coffee filter and steeping in a cup of boiling water. The resulting tea is then mixed with the onion and garlic, olive oil and wine and then added to the sauce with the other ingredients. This isn't very clear in the instructions.

Very close. If those instructions weren't lear I will try again.

You are right, it is just rosemary and fennel. However I do not steep it in a cup I boil it. I just boil until the water gets color, the browner the stronger.

The olive oil goes in as it is boiling, same time as th onion and garlic. When the water gets low, the oiive oil then treats the spices better than the dry, hard pan would. The wine is just for a little flavor.

The reason I go though this rigamaroll is that I have never found a way to grind up that dried rosemary. Nothiing I have works, maybe I could get a grinder that could but I would probably wreck it with my unrefined sea salt. (the latest stuff came from around France etc. and it DOES make a difference)

If there are other questions just ask. I am notthat skilled in writing recipes right now

T

Reactions: mjd
Very close. If those instructions weren't lear I will try again.

You are right, it is just rosemary and fennel. However I do not steep it in a cup I boil it. I just boil until the water gets color, the browner the stronger.

The olive oil goes in as it is boiling, same time as th onion and garlic. When the water gets low, the oiive oil then treats the spices better than the dry, hard pan would. The wine is just for a little flavor.

The reason I go though this rigamaroll is that I have never found a way to grind up that dried rosemary. Nothiing I have works, maybe I could get a grinder that could but I would probably wreck it with my unrefined sea salt. (the latest stuff came from around France etc. and it DOES make a difference)

If there are other questions just ask. I am notthat skilled in writing recipes right now

T
You are doing good so far. It will get easier once you have more practice. ALL of us, including me, have had to learn something new and I truly believe the BEST place for doing that is here. The members on this forum are very friendly, helpful and encouraging. They got me to do stuff I never thought I could (with recipes and food photography).

I can promise you that we will all make the effort to help you along your journey. Just don't give up. You'll get there!

Back
Top Bottom