Amalfi Lemons and Tropea onions.

Saranak

Local time
1:01 PM
Ciao everyone,

I have mentioned Amalfi lemons and Tropea onions in some of the recipes I have posted. These are becoming easier to find now in the UK however, I am not certain that many people will know what they actually look like (I am not attempting to be condescending) it is simply that they are not that common outside of Italy. I thought therefore it may be useful if I posted a couple of pictures so that members know what to look for. If you can find them then please use them, they are a little more expensive however, in the recipes that I post to get the true authenticity of the dish it is a good idea to use them. In the past they were impossible to find and my cooking did suffer, thankfully this is no longer the case!

Sarana x

Last edited by a moderator:
I've seen the onions on a cooking show before and the lemons up close and personal in Capri. The show featured foods from Calabria and it was also the first time I'd heard of Nduja.

I've seen the onions on a cooking show before and the lemons up close and personal in Capri. The show featured foods from Calabria and it was also the first time I'd heard of Nduja.
I have to admit that the lemons are not the prettiest of lemons but they taste amazing. I recently found that my local Tesco sells Tropea onions and have started buying from there. And I can now get Amalfi lemons at my market in the city centre.
Nduja are wonderful, if a little fiery, the do make an excellent pate also.

Sarana x

I must check my Tesco to see if they have those onions. I'm not sure I've seen them there.

Please note, when you upload images you need to click on either 'Thumbnail' or 'Full Image'. Usually the latter if its a photo of a recipe or something you cooked. Thumbnail is usually used for illustrative purposes. I corrected the image display above to 'thumbnail'.

I must check my Tesco to see if they have those onions. I'm not sure I've seen them there.

Please note, when you upload images you need to click on either 'Thumbnail' or 'Full Image'. Usually the latter if its a photo of a recipe or something you cooked. Thumbnail is usually used for illustrative purposes. I corrected the image display above to 'thumbnail'.

View attachment 38555
Oh God sorry I have tried to amend it hope the it has worked as I selected thumbnail.
Sarana x

We have two large Meyer lemon trees, very good producers. One lime tree about four years old and not a good producer. And a kaffir lime tree with lots of fruit on it. I bought it for the leaves.

Russ

I have to admit that the lemons are not the prettiest of lemons but they taste amazing. I recently found that my local Tesco sells Tropea onions and have started buying from there. And I can now get Amalfi lemons at my market in the city centre.
Nduja are wonderful, if a little fiery, the do make an excellent pate also.

Sarana x

I'm a chili head and love the flavors of different chili peppers. I have found that Mexican cuisine uses the largest variety of chilis.

This is a recipe that uses five different chilis.

Recipe - Oaxacan Mole Negro

We have two large Meyer lemon trees, very good producers. One lime tree about four years old and not a good producer. And a kaffir lime tree with lots of fruit on it. I bought it for the leaves.

Russ
I have never heard of Meyer lemons, Lime is a great item to have the acidity it adds to a dressing can be very refreshing. I learn something every day I did not understand the Kaffir tree produced fruit; what are the like? Can you use them in dishes?
Sarana x

I have never heard of Meyer lemons, Lime is a great item to have the acidity it adds to a dressing can be very refreshing. I learn something every day I did not understand the Kaffir tree produced fruit; what are the like? Can you use them in dishes?
Sarana x

To my knowledge, kaffir limes aren't used in cooking, only the leaves. The limes are used in hair care. I tried the juice and it is very bitter and repulsive. Meyer lemons are "sweeter" than other varieties. We have Key Limes that make a wonderful pie filling, which no other lime can match the taste.

To my knowledge, kaffir limes aren't used in cooking, only the leaves. The limes are used in hair care. I tried the juice and it is very bitter and repulsive.
Ah OK some fruits are better left on the tree!

Sarana x

Back
Top Bottom