America - Where have you been and what do you think?

America - Where have you been and what did you think?

Winslow, AZ – Standin' on the corner
Show Low/Pinetop, AZ
Tombstone, AZ
Bisbee, AZ
Tubac, AZ - cool artist community
Wildwood, NJ - cool boardwalk fun!
West Point, NY
Cooperstown, NY
Niagara Falls, NY
Williamsport, PA - little league hall of fame
Colonial Williamsburg, Jamestown, Yorktown, Annapolis
Williams, AZ – Grand Canyon South Rim by train
Las Vegas, NV
Arches, Zion, Four Corners
San Diego, CA
Carlsbad, CA ... BEACH!!!!
Washington DC
Cape May, Philadelphia, PA
White Mountains, AZ
Presidential Library –Regan
Disneyland
Kill Devil Hill - Kitty Hawk, NC; Virginia Beach, VA; Outer Banks, NC; Ocean City, MD
Lake Havasu, AZ - I could take or leave to be honest ...
Canyon Lake, AZ
Disneyland, CA
Las Cruses, Socorro – Trinity Test Site, Albuquerque, Hatch, NM
Prescott, AZ
Greer, AZ
Durango, Mesa Verde NP, CO
Hoover Dam Tour, NV
Santa Fe, Meteor Crater, Golden, CO Denver, Pikes Peak, Co Springs, CO
Santa Barbara, Morro Bay – Hearst Castle, Solvang, Monterey, CA
Presidential Library – Nixon
Santa Cruz, SF, all the way to Ca-OR state line on Highway 1/101
Phoenix, AZ

Great Western Adventure:
Bryce Canyon NP, UT
Tremonton, UT – Golden Spike NHS
Jackson, WY – Grand Tetons NP
West Yellowstone, MT – Yellowstone NP
Helena, MT – visiting friends
Whitefish, MT – Glacier NP
Billings, MT – Little Big Horn NM
Cody, WY – Buffalo Bill Museum of the West
Sundance, WY – Devil's Tower NHS
Deadwood, SD – toured for the afternoon & moved on
Keystone, SD – Mt Rushmore National Memorial
Badlands NP – toured the afternoon & moved on
Wall, SD – Wall Drugs & Crazy Horse Memorial
Durango, CO – visit friends

Nags head, NC; Charleston, James Island, SC, Savannah, GA
Tehachapi, Reedley, Fresno, CA
Sequoia NP, CA
Del Mar, CA
New Port Beach, CA - Channel Inn Motor court style right across from THE BEACH!!!!
Telluride, Ouray, CO – Million Dollar Highway
Taos, NM
Amarillo, TX – Cadillac Ranch (roadside attraction); Independence, MO – Presidential Library/Truman; Springfield, IL – Lincoln's Boyhood home; Toledo, Ohio – Toledo Mud Hens Baseball Game 8/2015
Oklahoma City, OK – Oklahoma City NM
Tahoe, NV – Lake Tahoe
Louisville, KY – Louisville Slugger Museum; Churchill Downs
Chincoteague, VA Assateague Island National Seashore

Florida Here We Come:
Ft Stockton, TX – Ft Stockton
San Antonio, TX – River Walk
Panama City, FL
Key Largo, FL
Key West, FL
St, Augustine, FL
Americus, Ga – Sheriff Bufford Pusser Home & Museum
Natchez, MS – Natchez Trace

Grand Canyon - North Rim - we couldn't recommend the Motel there, but next time we may stay at Jacob Lake Inn

Honestly, I've enjoyed every where we've gone, there's more, but I'll stop here ... For now, until my memory kicks into overdrive :laugh:

Just a couple of places then 😁

I beg to differ with caseydog as far as Love's Truck Stops or concerned.
We stop at them regularly not only for a clean, nice restroom (they have public showers as well btw), we love their coffee (sorry for the pun) and cut up fresh fruits/veg. Some of the Truck Stops do have health-ful offerings.
Also, I do't recall anyone talking about the rest stops along interstate highways/freeways. We've found some that even have charcoal grills available to use, oh and restrooms too.

Just a couple of places then 😁
We spent a month on a road trip across the East Coast/New England States for our honeymoon, with no real set plan - 30 years ago - we've traveled extensively in the US. So, yeah :laugh:

If I were in your boots, I wouldn't bring anything but clothes, a refillable water cup/jug, a starter kit of coffee and snacks.
There are so many cool places to get different foods/snacks/coffees, etc. in The US.
Rarely have we had a motel/hotel room that DID'NT have a coffee/tea/hot water maker.
And did I miss it? How much to ship your two bikes?

As I use my kettle for cooking food I will be getting a kettle.

People can have a romantic notion of travelling light when in reality life is much more comfortable if you have the kit to cook the vegetables your body is craving or a pillow that means you don't wake up with a stiff neck or can cook the breakfast you really want to eat.
Short trips travelling light is fine, longer trips the lack of comforts contributes to homesickness.

When I travel without my kitchen pannier it is not a joy, you can simply want to make yourself a sandwich so you can carry on riding and realise you can't.

Last edited:
As I use my kettle for cooking food I will be getting a kettle.

People can have a romantic notion of travelling light when in reality life is much more comfortable if you have the kit to cook the vegetables you're bodies craving or a pillow that means you don't wake up with a stiff neck or can cook the breakfast you really want to eat.
Short trips travelling light is fine, longer trips the lack of comforts contributes to homesickness.

When I travel without my kitchen pannier it is not a joy, you can simply want to make yourself a sandwich so you can carry on riding and realise you can't.
True dat! We do the same and I'm sure that you've got that worked out long ago.

Just FYI, a lot of groceries offer freshly made meal salads, as well as hot and cold foods, and sub sandwiches. There are usually at least a couple of freshly made fruit bowl selections as well. One of the chain grocery stores in our area has someone making sushi daily. This particular chain has an app where you can order deli items or meals for 4 or less with an hour or less notice so it will be ready to go and you don't have to stand in line.

Some groceries also have packaged meals, like a home delivery meal kit, that has everything in it, that you take home and cook. One local place has an assortment of precut vegetables and proteins, meats and seafood, on ice that you pick and choose from in the seafood display case.

ETA, I had to post this separate from above because I kept getting an oops error message.

The New England States sound good.

There is never valet parking for bikes because firstly everyone who works in parking would need a motorcycle licence and secondly motorcyclist do not like other people riding their bikes. City hotels often have secure underground parking and they will arrange for you to ride your own bike in and out so that works 👍
The other way I usually go for is finding dedicated secure parking outside the city and getting a taxi in. Motorcycle theft is very common because unlike cars they are very easy to steal.

Glad you rate New York City, I'm looking forward to their museums and food!
Truly understand about motorcycles! This makes sense. Good plan.

medtran49 thanks for the useful info.

I have the added frustration of having to check all the ingredients on everything I eat due to wheat ending up in places no-one would ever suspect so unless the the shop has a comprehensive website that lists ingredients preorder tends to be out, and by the time you’ve craned your neck up to read the underside of the tenth prepared meal you think “blow it, it’s easier to assemble the ingredients myself” 😆

There are exceptions though like Mercadona and a few other brands in Spain use purple, anything with purple packaging is ok, it means you can shop quickly without searching for a gluten free logo. The supermarket you’re describing sounds great 👍

Just FYI, a lot of groceries offer freshly made meal salads, as well as hot and cold foods, and sub sandwiches. There are usually at least a couple of freshly made fruit bowl selections as well. One of the chain grocery stores in our area has someone making sushi daily. This particular chain has an app where you can order deli items or meals for 4 or less with an hour or less notice so it will be ready to go and you don't have to stand in line.

Newer stores have pretty big selections of heat and eat meals. The new-ish HEB in Frisco has a BIG section.

I know they have some vegan options, but not sure about gluten-free.

CD

caseydog no idea why it won’t allow me to reply to your post so here it is posted in reply to the above!

Yes the rise of veganism has been a bit of a pain in the wotnot for me because they clearly only dedicate so much shelf space to ‘special’ 🙄 people and as the vegan produce has increased the gluten free produce has reduced to make space for it.

Heyho I’d rather they stopped concentrating on making ’free from’ food so incredibly free from anything that tastes good it ends up tasting really bad.
As a coeliac it’s very noticeable a lot of those gluten free lacklustre products need some butter or cheese to make up for it’s other shortcomings 😆

Newer stores have pretty big selections of heat and eat meals. The new-ish HEB in Frisco has a BIG section.

I know they have some vegan options, but not sure about gluten-free.

CD

I was in HEB today. The store is less than a year old, so it has a lot of heat and eat meals, and meal kits. Oh, and a big fresh sushi bar. I'm sure there are a lot of newer stores around the US that have big selections of this kind of stuff.

1701219770491.jpeg

1701219790045.jpeg

1701219810135.jpeg

1701219849591.jpeg

There was not a sub-section in the heat and eat section for gluten free. But, some things are probably gluten free just because of what they are.

CD

I'm very impressed how you celebrate ready to eat meals. At home I do the very least basics, because cooking takes a lot of time and I need to do other things

Back
Top Bottom