An apple a day

Local time
2:25 AM
Most of us would have heard the old adage: "An apple a day keeps the doctor away." I can remember hearing this saying from the time I was in my teenage years. I have always wondered what made apples so special when compared with other fruit. Well I decided to do some research on it and discovered that they have many health benefits, a few of which I will mentioin here.

Apples are said to be high in antioxidants which are disease-fighting compounds that help to repair oxidation damage. Apples help to boost your immune system. They also help in preventing the development of type 2 diabetes. Consuming apple juice fights the effects of aging on the brain and prevents the development of Alzheimer's disease. Because of their high fibre content, eating apples regularly can prevent diseases like colon and pancreatic cancer from developing.

Having said all of the above, however, they are not my favourite fruit. I prefer to drink the apple juice although I have not bought this in a while. I may very well start adding this to my diet again.

Apple juice is definitely worse than eating a whole apple. I generally follow the rule of eating my calories, instead of drinking them, but I wouldn't recommend apple juice because of it's high added sugar content, too. Overall, apples are one my favorite fruits and I while I don't eat them every single day, I can't see why doing so would be considered bad - they provide tons of nutritional value, they're relatively low in calories and best of all - they're freaking delicious.

There's divided opinion about whether apples help clean your teeth (as I was always told) or whether they add to teeth problems by depositing sugar.

The problem with drinking the juice is that you get a large consumption of sugar and no fiber. normally eating an apple you get the fiber, so you are full up after a couple, when you drink apple juice its like getting only the sugar from 4-5 apples at once.

The problem with drinking the juice is that you get a large consumption of sugar and no fiber. normally eating an apple you get the fiber, so you are full up after a couple, when you drink apple juice its like getting only the sugar from 4-5 apples at once.
You missed the important bit about the fibre though. It is the fibre that stops you absorbing the sugar all at once, so you don't get that sugar high.
Not to mention the importance of fibre in the diet as well.

For general information, a medium sized apple contains the following.
Calories 95
Total Fat 0.3 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 2 mg
Potassium 195 mg
Dietary fibre 4.4 g
Sugar 19 g

Vitamin A 1%
Calcium 1%
Vitamin D 0%
Vitamin B-12 0%
Vitamin C 14%
Iron 1%
Vitamin B-6 5%
Magnesium 2%

In the UK the recommended amounts for sugar intake is 70g for men and 50g for women and for fibre it is 18g a day (However there are different types of fibre (soluble and insoluble) and your diet should not consist solely of one or the other.)

There's divided opinion about whether apples help clean your teeth (as I was always told) or whether they add to teeth problems by depositing sugar.
I understand that the situation is that eating an apple (and why it is an apple and nothing else is not clear) stimulates your body to produce saliva which then goes on to kill bacteria in your mouth therefore reducing tooth decay (from that bacteria it has just killed). At least that is what I have just read whilst looking up the stats on apples.

It seems to me that apples are just meant to be eaten exactly as they are to gain their full benefits. I have a feeling that the acidity in the apple is what helps keep teeth clean. As well as the increase in saliva production, I wonder if the fact that you really have to sink your teeth into an apple helps too?

I eat apples whole, cut up, as applesauce, in tarts and other desserts, and also enjoy them simply baked in the oven with a little brown sugar and cinnamon on them. I go through periods when I eat at least one a day, and when I do that, I feel healthier. That tends to be in the Fall, when they're abundant and less expensive, but I try to eat one at least a few times a week, otherwise. I'm not a big juice fan, and also prefer to eat my calories, rather than drink them.

The reason I am not so fond of apples is because I do not like eating the skin. I prefer to eat the apple if it is peeled, although I know that most of the nutrients would be found in the skin itself. It is not that anything is wrong with the taste of the skin, it is just that it is difficult to chew. I do enjoy eating apple tarts and any other dessert which has apple as an ingredient.

The reason I am not so fond of apples is because I do not like eating the skin. I prefer to eat the apple if it is peeled, although I know that most of the nutrients would be found in the skin itself. It is not that anything is wrong with the taste of the skin, it is just that it is difficult to chew. I do enjoy eating apple tarts and any other dessert which has apple as an ingredient.

You made me laugh in your opening post. After sharing all the health benefits you confess you don't like them:). It happens. I replaced my apple with a banana simply because I read somewhere some time ago it's now 'a banana a day keeps the doctor away'. Anyway, like you I don't care for the skin but I always have some apples around. More apples than bananas interestingly enough, Great information on the apples from everyone.

I did read somewhere that apples are bad for your teeth due to the acid, so what are we supposed to believe? I like apples but they can give me heartburn and also upset my tummy so I keep my apple consumption low.

It is very well said in the above post about the amazing good health benefits of apple. That is why everyday I eat an apple on an empty stomach to absorb best its nutrients before I eat my breakfast
No wonders it is already years that I am in good health and do not get sick.

I just love fruits on a whole in their natural form; once my apples are fresh and washed I usually eat skin and all. I also enjoy adding a little peanut butter to my apple; it's totally divine.

I have a friend who follows that literally - eating an apple everyday. When there was a scarcity of apple sometime in the 1970s, her father had to import from Hongkong (they are rich so my friend is a spoiled brat). In fairness to my bratty friend, she shared that crate of apples from Hongkong. But now that apple is very common here and sold in almost anywhere the whole year round, anyone who eats an apple a day can truly do that literally.

When we have apples in the house I try to eat one a day as a snack. I want to get the fiber from eating the apple and I like the taste of a crisp apple.

I love eating crisp apples in the fall. It seems the only time of year I'll buy apples is in the fall. I find that in the summer they get a bit mushy and loose that fresh crispness. My kids love apples too but I usually buy whatever fruit that is in season for them. I do believe in that saying of an apple a day too.

Back
Top Bottom