An egg with two yolks

Do you really want me to tell? I am sure I want to be the one to present the 'tailed egg'. This whole egg thing is starting to freak me out a littel.I have not eaten an egg since the double yolk appeared. I prepared some for my son and you should see me looking to see if another double yolk turned up. Nothing so far and I am so so sorry I did not take a picture of that last one. Google the egg with the tail. It's all over the net.
I've encountered that before. :headshake:
Shermie, what have you encountered before? The double yolk or the tail?

After reading this, I might skip my usual poached egg and just have some peanut butter on toast :sick:. I don't mind the double yolks. I have occasionally had one over the years, but I don't like the ones with red spots, I guess it's blood, I throw those out :ninja:.

After reading this, I might skip my usual poached egg and just have some peanut butter on toast :sick:. I don't mind the double yolks. I have occasionally had one over the years, but I don't like the ones with red spots, I guess it's blood, I throw those out :ninja:.

I just took the eggs out of the fridge. Don't ask why I was keeping them so long? Perhaps I was waiting to see if something would grow:chicken:. I was thinking to make a pie for my dogs but I figure if I am not going to eat it, my girls shouldn't. I found out something for my pets though. When I Googled whether eggs were good for dogs I came across a reading that said egg shells are a good source of nutrients for them. See! Out of double yolk, tailed eggs comes more useful information. Still I am in no rush for any of it truth be told.

I bought a carton of Jumbo sized eggs from my regular supermarket by mistake. Several of the eggs were very elongated and evey one of the long, weird eggs were double yolkers. It didn't freak me out; I've seen double yolks before, but never so many in one carton of eggs.

I bought a carton of Jumbo sized eggs from my regular supermarket by mistake. Several of the eggs were very elongated and evey one of the long, weird eggs were double yolkers. It didn't freak me out; I've seen double yolks before, but never so many in one carton of eggs.
Well I was freaked out of sorts as I have not eaten an egg since but I am sure I will soon again. I actually want to bake something soon. I just think I will be watching my eggs more closely. I am yet to announce to my friends my new discovery and see if I am a loner when it comes to experiencing the two yolk eggs. I can't wait to see the customer who says she used to eat them from the shell. Perhaps she has swallowed a few 'duplicates'.

PS. I had my first egg after I typed this. I used it in a pull away bread and it was one healthy looking yolk.:happy:

Last edited:
We have a store here in the market that sells double yolk eggs. Naturally It is more expensive. I only buy that for novelty because we like the ordinary egg with one yolk. Those double yolk seem to taste differently (maybe psychological only). But when are going to bake, those double yolk have a big advantage. We normally use the yolks only in baking unless we are going to make meringue. That's the time that I would be buying the double yolk eggs.

I was always told the blood just meant it was a fertile egg, nothing more nothing less. Back to the double yolks - ideal for egg sandwiches - you can cut the sandwich in half and still get a yolk in each half -- brilliant.

The blood thing makes me a little worried and I would have thrown out one of two in the past because of it. Too much fertility if that's what it is. I find myself cracking and maybe hoping to see another double yolk egg. These days whenever I talk to people close to me who like to talk food I ask if they have seen a double egg. My mom says she has seen a few in her more than 80 years.

I have seen several in my lifetime, and they usually come from fresh farm eggs. Rarely have I seen one from an egg that came from the grocery store. Although sometimes you can find them in the jumbo sized eggs.

I thought about this thread the other day. I was making my usual poached egg, and found a double egg yolk. Each yolk was small, slightly larger than half of the usual yolk size. I thought perhaps it was a fortuitous sigh, and lo and behold, it turned out to be a good day :happy:.

We get them quite often because my family typically purchases the extra large eggs, and these often make it into the cartons. In fact it happens so often, I can almost tell when an egg is going to have two yolks, just by the way it feels in my hand when I'm handling it - the inside feels more dense when you shake it around a bit. Alternately, you can also hold the egg up to a bright light and possibly see if it has multiple yolks or not. I actually get kind of annoyed by this, especially when I was in the mood for some fried or poached eggs. Granted, I could still cook them as such, but they just look weird on the plate, so I often end up scrambling them or making them into an omelette instead.

Strangely though, I don't think I've ever seen a hard boiled egg with two yolks. I wonder if something happens during the cooking process where they simply merge into one.

For something a little gross, and as a side note, I've been told that if you see a little bit of blood in the egg, that's actually a sign the eggs were fresh. Apparently the longer they sit around, that little bit of blood dissipates into the egg, which is why you normally don't see it.

I had this happen to me not too long ago. I went to make scrambled eggs for my kids and when I cracked open the egg two yolks came out. My kids thought it was pretty cool and so did I. I had never seen this before. But it sounds like it's more common than we think.

Back
Top Bottom