An Oatmeal questions for Brits & Scots

Pinhead Oats sounds very much as how SatNavSaysStraightOn describes.
No.

The oats are whole but flattened. is not uncommon to find bits of husk in three porridge. Reading online pinhead oats are still chopped into 2 or 3 pieces, a coarse steel cut so to speak. These are not cut at all.

I was just reading an article from the Daily Mail and it seems that the major difference is the type of oat being used, is my
understanding.
Pinhead Oats ... but when I do a search for them, they seem to be unavailable, anywhere. I did find one site that claimed that they would have them available come May 27th I recall...
Pinhead oats, the name makes me giggle for some reason.

No.

The oats are whole but flattened. is not uncommon to find bits of husk in three porridge. Reading online pinhead oats are still chopped into 2 or 3 pieces, a coarse steel cut so to speak. These are not cut at all.
This is the best definition for the oats I grew up on and prefer

These are rolled and flattened groats. Available as jumbo oats (whole groat) or regular porridge oats. They are often used in baking, muesli and porridge.

Found this one in my local supermarket last night:
BOB317.jpg

My plan was to make this for wifey tomorrow... but I went to work and she couldn't wait. The following is a series of text messages I received:
Her: Thanks for buying that for me!
Her: OK, I TRIED to make the Oatmeal...
Me: What happened?
Her: Tried making the oats in the microwave... total fail. Expanded out everywhere and was basically a frothy uncooked mess. I don't suppose this would have been better in the instapot?
Me: LOL No luv, I think its pretty much stovetop only.
Her: oh, ok. Make it for me tomorrow?

:laugh:

Found this one in my local supermarket last night:
View attachment 84439
My plan was to make this for wifey tomorrow... but I went to work and she couldn't wait. The following is a series of text messages I received:
Her: Tried making the oats in the microwave... total fail. Expanded out everywhere and was basically a frothy uncooked mess. I don't suppose this would have been better in the instapot?

:laugh:
Yes, it's unfortunate that Bob's products are pricey!

Hamish McTavish is turning in his grave at the thought of making his beloved porridge in a microwave... :hyper: :hyper: :eek::eek:🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Hamish McTavish is turning in his grave at the thought of making his beloved porridge in a microwave... :hyper: :hyper: :eek::eek:🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
I am just wondering if she read the package instructions? No offense, FowlersFreeTime, but I have people in my family who are very intelligent but seem to be unable to follow package directions. I may resemble that remark at times, LOL.

I am just wondering if she read the package instructions? No offense, FowlersFreeTime, but I have people in my family who are very intelligent but seem to be unable to follow package directions. I may resemble that remark at times, LOL.
She's more book-smart than I am, that's for sure, and I suppose she probably did read the instructions. I think she probably did NOT use a large enough bowl. Plus, as karadekoolaid alluded to, I am fairly sure this was never intended for a microwave :roflmao:

She's more book-smart than I am, that's for sure, and I suppose she probably did read the instructions. I think she probably did NOT use a large enough bowl. Plus, as karadekoolaid alluded to, I am fairly sure this was never intended for a microwave :roflmao:
Bob's ought to know that there are plenty of US citizens who, if they don't see a disclaimer about NOT cooking it in the microwave, will go ahead and try to do so. This is why there are caution statements on tags (the statements being rather obvious concepts) to keep people from misusing them (I think my hair iron has one about being careful because the iron gets very hot). LOL!

I'm with you Mountain Cat I really dislike Instant Oatmeal.
My Mother use to force us to a bowl of that stuff on cold mornings :stop:
Here's what just hit my funny-bone: when Mom was living with us awhiles back, I asked her if she wanted me to buy her some Instant Oatmeal, `cuz I remembered seeing that in her pantry back in California.
"NO! I can't stand that stuff!"
:meh: :facepalm::scratchhead:

I'm with you Mountain Cat I really dislike Instant Oatmeal.
My Mother use to force us to a bowl of that stuff on cold mornings :stop:
Yeah, my mom used to buy those variety packs with the packets. Yuck. I usually just had a piece of toast with butter or nothing at all. She never did understand my tastes.

The way my mom used to cook oatmeal was to use what’s labeled old-fashioned oatmeal, which I think is just rolled oats, and cook them to a very firm, almost hard, stage - think of something stiff, like stiff mashed potatoes, but wobbly like jello/jelly.

We’d get a big scoop of that in the bowl, and then she’d put a blob of butter (or bacon grease) on it, pour sugar on it, and then a good splash of milk.

It was then up to us to mix it all together into what looks would look like a proper bowl of porridge or oatmeal.

Back
Top Bottom