Anchovies, Love or Hate them?

Bluck! No way. I understand these types of things are healthy for you...but I put these in the category with sardines. Once was enough for the taste of these. I am not interested when it comes to strong, tasty smelling fishy things. I also do not like calamari. I only like salmon and tuna.

I want to say that I hate them but, to be fair, I have never actually tried an anchovy on its own. I have only eaten them when they have been an ingredient alongside other flavours, such as in pasta or on a pizza. Therefore, it might simply be the combination of the anchovies with other ingredients that I do not like. On saying that, I can't imagine it is something that I will be trying soon as I am not the biggest fish lover in the world in the first place.

I love them too! Anchovy can be used in its own right as an ingredient on pizzas etc. But they can also be used to flavour sauces. In many cases, used judicially the overall taste won't be 'fishy' but they will add that umami flavour. And people who claim they hate anchovies will say how much they like your dish! Believe me, I've tried this tactic out on a few relatives.

The famous Worcestershire Sauce contains anchovies - and they are what gives it that distinctive taste!

I love them too! Anchovy can be used in its own right as an ingredient on pizzas etc. But they can also be used to flavour sauces. In many cases, used judicially the overall taste won't be 'fishy' but they will add that umami flavour. And people who claim they hate anchovies will say how much they like your dish! Believe me, I've tried this tactic out on a few relatives.

The famous Worcestershire Sauce contains anchovies - and they are what gives it that distinctive taste!

We have used them to flavour a sauce, you can't really taste them but the do add something :)

I've never had any so I can't comment. I looked at a few images and one are two with what looked like millions of them looked a little scary. Separately they look a little my our Flying Fish.

I've never had any so I can't comment. I looked at a few images and one are two with what looked like millions of them looked a little scary. Separately they look a little my our Flying Fish.
Don't you get Worcestershire Sauce? I know its used quite a lot in the US.

Don't you get Worcestershire Sauce? I know its used quite a lot in the US.
I do. I have it in the cupboard and like to use it in my stews although I must confess that I have not used it in a while with my mad rushes. When I read you post I was surprise to learn that anchovies and Worcestershire are related. I remember back in the day living at with my mom that was a must have and a must use. At present mine is just sitting in the cupboard probably going bad.

I love these when they are good quality. The best ones I add to my own homemade caesar salad dressing for a killer dish! The oil the fish is stored in are little flavor bombs that can be sneakily added for a great taste that people can never tell what they are.

I love these when they are good quality. The best ones I add to my own homemade caesar salad dressing for a killer dish! The oil the fish is stored in are little flavor bombs that can be sneakily added for a great taste that people can never tell what they are.
Totally with you on that. My wife makes the best Caesar salad dressing I have ever tasted - about half a jar of anchovy fillets (10-12 fillets) plus oil from the jar and several cloves of garlic. And that's just for the two of us . Also use them in bolognese sauce and in palmiers, they also go well with egg.

Definitely on the hate side of things for anchovies! Once in a pizza place here in Japan I couldn't read the menu, and I just assumed the pizza had some sort of ground herb mix on it - turns out it was a ground anchovy paste. It certainly made me want to be able to read more Japanese than I can right now...

Definitely on the hate side of things for anchovies! Once in a pizza place here in Japan I couldn't read the menu, and I just assumed the pizza had some sort of ground herb mix on it - turns out it was a ground anchovy paste. It certainly made me want to be able to read more Japanese than I can right now...
You have to be careful when buying pizza in Japan if you are not interested in experimenting. My friend has some extraordinary tastes with toppings on her pizza and she says that its normal there. Don't get me wrong, she has some great ones but there are definitely some that are different for my tastes. Cheese and honey, seafood, anchovy potato, avocado shrimp, tuna and mayo. They seem to love mayo and regularly add it on pizza as well!

@aquaticneko yup! Mayo seems to be on pizzas a lot...and the other thing that is on pizzas here that I never experienced anywhere else is corn! They always put corn on their pizzas here!
Both mayo and corn on pizza sounds wrong. It is odd, how Japan which has the most refined and delicate of cuisines embraces such 'crass' versions of what is essentially an Italian dish.

@aquaticneko yup! Mayo seems to be on pizzas a lot...and the other thing that is on pizzas here that I never experienced anywhere else is corn! They always put corn on their pizzas here!

OMG yes. I remember I got a pizza with shrimp, cheeze and corn. I had the strangest look and my friend made fun of me before telling me corn is simply a choice of topping. That was the strangest pizza I've ever had. Not to mention seafood and cheese with tomato sauce. :O

Back
Top Bottom