Anchovies

I used to work with an old Irishman painting grammar school classrooms during the summer.

We used the stinkiest, graffiti proof paint, especially in the bathrooms. The smell was overpowering, so ventillation was veey important.
Then, at 10 AM every day, we would retire to the teacher's lounge for a break. The old sod would fire up an aromatic pipe while making toast, upon which he would place tinned achovies and their oil.

He did this every freakin day.

The combination of smells was just too much; paint, pipe, toasted bread, and warm anchovies. I eventually started taking my breaks outside where I could breathe.

Last edited:
I used to work with an old Irishman painting grammar school classrooms during the summer.

We used the stinkiest, graffiti proof paint, especially in the bathrooms. The smell was overpowering, so ventillation was veey important.
Then, at 10 AM every day, we would retire to the teacher's lounge for a break. The old sod would fire up an aromatic pipe while making toast, upon which he would place tinned achovies and their oil.

He did this every freakin day.

The combination of smells was just too much; paint, pipe, toasted bread, and warm anchovies. I eventually started taking my breaks outside where I could breathe.

What a vivid olfactory picture this paints!

Recently mentioned in another thread - do you love them or hate them? There are many ways they can be used. One old school favourite is making pockets in a leg of lamb and stuffing anchovies into them before roasting. The anchovies melt away but really enhance the flavour.

How do you use them?
I love 'em but know that many people don't. I have a fantastic recipe for pasta, involving anchovies, chillies, and spinach (which I generally detest). Not only is it very simple, but the anchovy haters in my family haven't even noticed my secret pleasure. I think it comes from a book called 'Chilly Nation' by Thomasina someone or the other. I don't have details on me, but if anyone is interested I will upload.

I love 'em but know that many people don't. I have a fantastic recipe for pasta, involving anchovies, chillies, and spinach (which I generally detest). Not only is it very simple, but the anchovy haters in my family haven't even noticed my secret pleasure. I think it comes from a book called 'Chilly Nation' by Thomasina someone or the other. I don't have details on me, but if anyone is interested I will upload.

Yes please - is it Thomasina Miers? Please post it as a new thread in the relevant section of the forum - probably Rice, Pasta, Pulses and Grains.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom