Any tips on uses for fresh lemon and lime?

Alunny

Veteran
Local time
7:08 AM
Website
www.jades-world.com
I want to use some fresh lemon and lime but I'm on a sort of Paleo diet try out. I bought these without thinking ahead.

Paleo means I can't use anything processed like flours, I need to avoid sugar (but not opposed to it) and I'm not supposed to have grains (pasta, etc) or dairy but we have made an exception for full fat (full cream) milk, cheese, and cream. It focus' on things like meat and vegetables really.

So I was wondering if there are any ideas you guys could throw at me? I've been adding some juice to my water because I find it refreshing but let's be real...there's only so much lemon you can add to water and water you can drink in a day! :wink:

I have 4 limes and 2 lemons left right now.

I would use the lemons and limes to make a marinade. You could use olive oil, lemon juice, oregano and garlic for a nice Greek marinade. You could the limes to marinade pork chops. Use lime juice, garlic, chopped cilantro, cumin, olive oil, salt and pepper. My kids love squeezing fresh lemon on chicken cutlets. Lemon stir fry is also delicious.

@purplepen88 that Greek marinade sounds fabulous. I have some fresh limes at home and I wasn't sure what I was going to do with them but after reading this It think I am going to give this marinade a try. It sounds really good!

Well I have been making lemonade a lot recently and I never get tired of it. The only problem is that I think it calls for too much sugar to give it the taste I want. Outside of that I use it lime and salt my meats and want to bake something neither of which might help you. I just found this chicken recipe which looks good.
http://www.tastesoflizzyt.com/2013/07/03/grilled-lemon-lime-pepper-chicken/

Yeah my mother is also doing the lemon cleanse thing, it really adds flavor to the water we drink at home. I use my lemons for baking mostly I love the zesty taste in my lemon squares I think it's a perfect combination of sweet and sour. Lemon can also be used to get rid of bad fish smell so keep the sliced pulp from the lemon water.

My mother in law used to make salad dressing with lemon drops. I'm just not sure of the mixture but from what I remember, vinegar and lemon or lime juice with salt are the main ingredients. It's very similar to the ranch dressing although the finishing touch of this dressing is a tablespoon of milk. Again, I'm not sure what kind of milk because I was not inquisitive that time.

After squeezing the juice from the lemons I will use the peels to make lemon zest and store it in the fridge. I used to throw them away until I found out about storing the zest which can later be used for adding flavors to your cooking. I do experiment a lot and will sprinkle a few zest on any dish and see if it works or not.

I once tried rubbing the peels on my arms and legs before bathing and I love the result. My skin felt smoother. I do not want to overdo it because I am sensitive to too much acid

I like to make homemade lemon lemonade! Once in a while, I am able to eat a whole lemon like an orange - without anything (people call me crazy for doing that but I like it and it's healthy).. I also make salad dressings with it:)

Back
Top Bottom