Anyone going on holiday?

rascal

Forum GOD!
Local time
6:18 AM
I was planning on getting back to Europe late this year? I have friends who had their plans cut short, two who were in Vietnam a week into a world trip, but had to return home. When do you think we will be able to go on holiday again overseas? My wife has refused to fly in the next two years? Your thoughts ??

Russ

Well, to be absolutely safe, you need to wait for a vaccine. No way around that.

But, NZ is not on the EU can't come here list. So, you can go. Keep in mind, if things take a turn for the worse in the EU, you may have your plans canceled, and may lose the money you spent for your vacation.

Even when a vaccine is ready, there will be some nimrods who refuse to get one. I know some anti-vexers, and they are some of the most ignorant people I've ever met. Whether they will get a Covid-19 vaccine is unknown at this time. But, as long as you get the vaccine, you are pretty safe. The anti-vaxers and the flat-earth people can hang out and maybe Darwin will take care of them at one time.

So, I'd wait for a vaccine. My sister, a hospital RN with 36-years experience, loves to travel, and that is her advice, too.

CD

Yup. We usually take two overseas trips a year. This already killed one of ours, and we're hoping that a vaccine is developed and available to the public by this time next year. Assuming so, our next trip will likely be September/October 2021.

We were last on holiday in May 2020, so over a year ago. We'll likely have missed three, maybe four trips by the time we get back, including our 30th anniversary.

I know one thing, assuming the job situation doesn't change much for us, we're going to have some serious money to spend once we do get back.

Well, to be absolutely safe, you need to wait for a vaccine. No way around that.

But, NZ is not on the EU can't come here list. So, you can go. Keep in mind, if things take a turn for the worse in the EU, you may have your plans canceled, and may lose the money you spent for your vacation.

Even when a vaccine is ready, there will be some nimrods who refuse to get one. I know some anti-vexers, and they are some of the most ignorant people I've ever met. Whether they will get a Covid-19 vaccine is unknown at this time. But, as long as you get the vaccine, you are pretty safe. The anti-vaxers and the flat-earth people can hang out and maybe Darwin will take care of them at one time.

So, I'd wait for a vaccine. My sister, a hospital RN with 36-years experience, loves to travel, and that is her advice, too.

CD

Yeah I kinda thought that too. Anti vaxers do my head in. Do what you like to yourself, but vaccinate your kids. I have a friend who was setting up a branch of his business in Sydney Australia prior to covid, he can't get there in the near future, my d.i.l works for him as well ( finance) and she can't go there either. I havnt seen him in a few months. I'll ask my d.i.l later today how it's hurt them?

Russ

Yup. We usually take two overseas trips a year. This already killed one of ours, and we're hoping that a vaccine is developed and available to the public by this time next year. Assuming so, our next trip will likely be September/October 2021.

We were last on holiday in May 2020, so over a year ago. We'll likely have missed three, maybe four trips by the time we get back, including our 30th anniversary.

I know one thing, assuming the job situation doesn't change much for us, we're going to have some serious money to spend once we do get back.

Maybe we could catch up in the uk?
Do you like piña coladas, getting caught in the rain???? :) :)

Russ

Being self-employed, vacations are hard to plan, so a pandemic doesn't change much.

Since I travel so much for business (well, normally), I grab mini vacations. If I am In NYC for work, I will try to spend a few extra days there, and walk around and eat at NYC restaurants I've been wanting to try. If I am In LA, I stay extra days at a friend's house, hang out with him, have lunch with my good friend and mentor, Al Satterwhite, and go eat some street food.

I haven't been able to do that so far in 2020. Ihave to spend next week in Houston dealing with family business, but plan to go to Port Arthur for a couple days before coming home. Hang out with my best friend, cook with his cajun wife, and slap his son (my nephew) around about taking better care of his parents -- just for fun. He knows when I'm being serious, which is not that often. He's a good kid (21), but I sometimes have to open a can of whoopsass on him. He knows I love him like my own son, so he gets it.

CD

Being self-employed, vacations are hard to plan, so a pandemic doesn't change much.

Since I travel so much for business (well, normally), I grab mini vacations. If I am In NYC for work, I will try to spend a few extra days there, and walk around and eat at NYC restaurants I've been wanting to try. If I am In LA, I stay extra days at a friend's house, hang out with him, have lunch with my good friend and mentor, Al Satterwhite, and go eat some street food.

I haven't been able to do that so far in 2020. Ihave to spend next week in Houston dealing with family business, but plan to go to Port Arthur for a couple days before coming home. Hang out with my best friend, cook with his cajun wife, and slap his son (my nephew) around about taking better care of his parents -- just for fun. He knows when I'm being serious, which is not that often. He's a good kid (21), but I sometimes have to open a can of whoopsass on him. He knows I love him like my own son, so he gets it.

CD

Flying is no hassle then? I think I need a few days away? I'll drive to somewhere a few hrs away for a change of scenery!

Russ

Flying is no hassle then? I think I need a few days away? I'll drive to somewhere a few hrs away for a change of scenery!

Russ

I didn't say that. I haven't flown since the virus hit hard in March. I know I am in no hurry to fly anywhere until a vaccine is ready. I will only fly until then if I get a job that pays a whole lot of money.

CD

We had a 3 week holiday booked in May. That was cancelled, and the holiday operator gave us the choice of a voucher or a re-schedule. I wasn't going for a voucher, so went for moving the holiday to September. If I knew then what I know now I would have moved it to next year. We won't now be able to change unless our FCO advises against travel to that country, or they won't let us in.

We had a 3 week holiday booked in May. That was cancelled, and the holiday operator gave us the choice of a voucher or a re-schedule. I wasn't going for a voucher, so went for moving the holiday to September. If I knew then what I know now I would have moved it to next year. We won't now be able to change unless our FCO advises against travel to that country, or they won't let us in.

I am sure you are not alone. My sister had to cancel a cruise for May, but I think she got full credit towards a future cruise. She's some kind of super platinum member on her favorite cruise line.

I hope your holiday can happen when it is safe, without you paying a penalty.

CD

We have a holiday planned for early September - we'll be spending a couple of weeks in France (unless they close the borders again!) and since we had to cancel our holiday in May I'm really looking forward to it. I'm very comfortable with the idea of travelling....but we don't fly (haven't flown for a holiday for almost 10 years) - I don't think I'd want to fly anywhere right now.

Travelling in a motorhome its very easy to keep your distance from other people: campsites tend to be well spaced out, if you do meet other people its usually outside, we have our own facilities on board so no need to use any shared ones, we use the tunnel rather than the ferry so we don't even need to leave our vehicle to cross the channel (in fact Eurotunnel have asked that everyone remain within their vehicles for now).

We're very lucky that when we cancelled our May trip we didn't lose anything - but that's because we don't book anything in advance apart from the tunnel crossing (and that's 100% flexible so we just rescheduled and booked a train in September).

We have a holiday planned for early September - we'll be spending a couple of weeks in France (unless they close the borders again!) and since we had to cancel our holiday in May I'm really looking forward to it. I'm very comfortable with the idea of travelling....but we don't fly (haven't flown for a holiday for almost 10 years) - I don't think I'd want to fly anywhere right now.

Travelling in a motorhome its very easy to keep your distance from other people: campsites tend to be well spaced out, if you do meet other people its usually outside, we have our own facilities on board so no need to use any shared ones, we use the tunnel rather than the ferry so we don't even need to leave our vehicle to cross the channel (in fact Eurotunnel have asked that everyone remain within their vehicles for now).

We're very lucky that when we cancelled our May trip we didn't lose anything - but that's because we don't book anything in advance apart from the tunnel crossing (and that's 100% flexible so we just rescheduled and booked a train in September).

Glad to hear you have a holiday that should work out. I've never had a motor home -- just a couple of teardrop campers. No self contained "facilities," but a bed and a place to cook.

Even in a teardrop camper, if you want to, you can camp away from a lot of people, and keep you distance from other campers nearby. If I still had a teardrop, I am sure I could make it work with the pandemic.

But, even with a motorhome, you have to make plans and stay alert.

I hope you enjoy your trip -- and come home happy and safe.

CD

CD

But, even with a motorhome, you have to make plans and stay alert.
Of course :okay:

We plan roughly the areas we want to visit and make a shortlist of campsites and other stopovers that look nice, but we don't book anything, so if the weather is bad or we just change our minds, we check the apps and websites for somewhere else to stay. France is very welcoming of motorhomes and has 1000s of dedicated stopovers for them - some don't have any facilities, others have water and waste, a few even have electric hook ups. Some are free and some you have to pay for and most of them are listed and reviewed on websites or phone apps. And of course there are also campsites (though some aren't opening at all this year) so there's always somewhere to stay :okay:

In a worst-case scenario where everything kicks off again we can isolate pretty effectively whilst making our way home: we can carry 130 litres of water, 22 kilos of gas and have a 160 litre fridge-freezer so on the habitation side we can be totally self-sufficient for at least 3 days, maybe longer. Water can be replenished and waste dropped at one of the 1000s of (unmanned) motorhome service points. The main thing we'd need to stop for is diesel because we only have 75 litre fuel tank - but pay at pump is everywhere in France so we should be able to fill up with no human interaction if needed.

But actually if it all did kick off again then based on past performance I'd feel a lot safer in France than back home in the UK anyway :(

Back
Top Bottom