Anyone going on holiday?

I am sure you are not alone. My sister had to cancel a cruise for May, but I think she got full credit towards a future cruise. She's some kind of super platinum member on her favorite cruise line.

I hope your holiday can happen when it is safe, without you paying a penalty.

CD
Thank you. I'm not sure how it works over there, but here if you have a packaged holiday booked through an accredited agent you are protected (ATOL/ABTA) if they go bust, and will get your money back. However, if you accept a credit note and they go bust you are likely to lose everything.

The cruise lines (and airlines) have been, for the most part, pretty understanding here. MrsTasty is a travel agent, and her job the past three months has been negotiating the various voucher/refund/reschedule policies for her clients, and no one has gone away unhappy.

For our vacation (cruise combined with a city short break), we first took the voucher, then immediately rebooked the cruise for the same time next year (and got it for less money and with some extras thrown in), and then when it began to look like we were in this for the long haul, we got our money back. No muss, no fuss.

The airlines have been a little different, in that they're largely just issuing vouchers, but extending out the use-by date. At least that's what I gather from eavesdropping on my wife. :)

We are staying in a beach hotel resort in Zandvoort (the Netherlands)in November this year for our marriage celebration, we celebrate our marriage every year and this will be the third. We haven't booked anything else because it's still very uncertain whether it will be possible to travel with all the Corona measures,

Mrs Wyshiepoo and I were going to go to Prague for our 30th anniversary in August. We were days away from starting the booking process when the first hints of trouble with Covid-19 started to appear. I suggested we should wait until we could be sure it was safe to book. I'm rather glad we did as I don't think we've seen the last of this virus.

Instead we've paid for us, the kids and grandkids to have a weeks staycation on Sark, will be nice to all be together. Quite odd to think that there are 12 people in this world who wouldn't exist or know each other if me and the missus hadn't 'got together in a special way'.

For those that don't know, Sark is a small island off Guernsey approx 2 miles by 1.5 miles where there are no cars or motorbikes. The only transport means available are walking, cycling and the odd tractor. Although they did clamp down on tractors a little while ago as too many locals were treating them as cars.

We'll see how things go next year but may buy a motorhome.

We might be about to see a boom in the sale of motorhomes. I would be interested to have one if I had the land to keep it on.
What would be interesting is cooking good meals in a motorhome. I do recall that cooking for two adults and four children in our motorhome required a fair bit of inventiveness. Smash or the French equivalent (floccante?) was a godsend.

I've never been in a motorhome. We did, however, end up staying in a caravan park for three months after we got flooded out a few years ago.

The experience was something of a novelty at first, but that soon wore off. We ended up calling our temporary home "the baked bean can" as the place got baking hot on sunny days and freezing cold on chilly days. It was reasonably spacious, though. Well, most of it was. It was as well that neither of us is of, er, large size when it came to having a shower.

This is the very place we ended up.

I've never been in a motorhome. We did, however, end up staying in a caravan park for three months after we got flooded out a few years ago.

The experience was something of a novelty at first, but that soon wore off. We ended up calling our temporary home "the baked bean can" as the place got baking hot on sunny days and freezing cold on chilly days. It was reasonably spacious, though. Well, most of it was. It was as well that neither of us is of, er, large size when it came to having a shower.

View attachment 42950
I'm not gonna lie...for me, that looks like The Worst Vacation Ever. :(

View attachment 42950

At least you were by the sea. I've stayed in these sort of homes for short holidays and it is great fun - but only for a week or so.

Back
Top Bottom