Anyone going on holiday?

Yep, here it's considered a badge of honor among some to take as little vacation time as possible, and brag about losing or selling back days at the end of the year.

We're generally expected to work over vacation, attend meetings by calling in, etc. It's the downside of a connected workforce. I always flat-out refuse and say, "Sorry, going to England, my phone won't work there." :laugh:

Yep, here it's considered a badge of honor among some to take as little vacation time as possible, and brag about losing or selling back days at the end of the year.
I actually don't think I know anyone like that. We can carry over a maximum of 5 days to the following year and people will normally take odd days off here and there towards the end of the year if they have leave left unused in excess of that.

We're generally expected to work over vacation, attend meetings by calling in, etc. It's the downside of a connected workforce. I always flat-out refuse and say, "Sorry, going to England, my phone won't work there." :laugh:
We all have mobiles and laptops and can work from anywhere there is a mobile or wifi signal, but whilst there are a few people like that in my company, I'm very glad to say for the vast majority of people time off work is sacrosanct. I don't take my work mobile on holiday with me, I don't even look at it outside working hours. I only accept calls or meetings outside of my working hours very occasionally (by that I mean a handful of times per year - usually only when I need to talk to someone in a very different timezone). When someone is on holiday their work is taken over by another member of the team and none of us would even dream about trying to contact them.

I completely agree and wouldn't back down. Luckily no one expects me to cook on holiday but I wouldn't in any case. That's just the same as at home but even more inconvenient. Even during the aforementioned houseboat holiday, I only turned on the grill and put chicken on it till it was done. Everything else was pre-made by the nearest grocery store deli.

For me, a large part of "vacation" is "what restaurant are we going to for breakfast/lunch/supper?," especially if it's somewhere like Orlando, where I'm not that interested in the locale, but there are more restaurants than just about anywhere else.

Sitting in Orlando and making my own grilled cheese sandwich...I don't see the point in even going. I can stay home and do that. :)

Running a small business I have twice had to fly home from holiday over the past 10 years to pick up the pieces when others let me down. Wife wasn't impressed. I'm glad I don't have employees any more.

I completely agree and wouldn't back down. Luckily no one expects me to cook on holiday but I wouldn't in any case. That's just the same as at home but even more inconvenient. Even during the aforementioned houseboat holiday, I only turned on the grill and put chicken on it till it was done. Everything else was pre-made by the nearest grocery store deli.

I like your style. However I wouldn't get away with that, lmao.

Russ

When we were on our last holiday, we rented a cottage that had an Aga, and I'd never seen one in person, and all I talked about for six months was cooking stuff on it.

We were there for a week. I made scrambled eggs, bacon and toast one morning, and a frozen pizza one night, and that was it. That was enough to do me. :laugh:

There were a couple times I had to finish up writing a report, or doing last minute data analysis while on vacation - but usually I didn't have to take my work with me. It really wasn't expected (except for higher management) to do that.

I did usually carry over vacation days, without maxing them out so that I didn't lose any. But we had a very very generous vacation policy, being a privately-owned German company. I think we could carry over ten days??? I'd have to verify. And in fact, when I first started working there, we had a 35 hour work week here in the US, as per the German main branch. (Some in my department ended up working more - as we had to come in for weekend research duties - experiments don't stop simply because it's a weekend - cells have to be checked and rodents on study had to be dosed with putative treatments. We were on salary, not hourly pay.)

Eventually though they moved to a 40 hour work week as per US standard.

Regards cooking on vacation: If I am travelling, I want to eat at restaurants. If renting a place with a real kitchen, I don't mind doing SOME cooking - it was really convenient when taking them in Maine - I enjoy collecting shellfish in the tidal zones and bringing them back to cook, and in such cases I like making my own breakfasts as well. But I still like dining out and experiencing the foods of places I've travelled to.

The old saying "different strokes for different folks" comes to mind. :)

For years and years, MrsTasty wanted me to go to a Jamaican resort with her. She loves resorts, and she's been to several through work. Reading about them, I just knew it wasn't for me.

"Oh, no, you'll love it! Trust me!"

Went...did not "love it." Not a minute of it.

As to those camps, I like the idea of renting a house, we did that once, but it's being in a purpose-built holiday camp that gives me the shudders. We've done a couple of those at state parks here in the US, and it was just miserable for me.

I've been to very few resorts in my life. The last one was mid-80s when a friend and I took of for Great Exuma, an island in the Bahamas.
Good parts: seeing my friend whom I hadn't seen for a few years as she had moved to Colorado. Snorkling, and discovering that fish schools are just as populated as the ones I'd seen on TV, and there I was, right in person! The island bus tour we took, run by a Bahamian native, who talked about island herbal medicines, old byways, and stopped us off to get a lunch at a true Bahaman place the locals would eat at - no tourists but those of us on the (not very full) bus.
Oh, the beach-side margaritas were good.

Bad parts: the resort itself - I mean it was fine if you enjoy that kind of thing, but their foods were the same as you can find in hotels off of major highways in America. Nothing at the resort proper felt like you were actually IN the Bahamas - well other than the sandy beaches and clear ocean waters. We avoided the evening "entertainments".

Upshot, it was relaxing, my friend and I got to re-connect, but I'd rather a more immersive vacation to unfamiliar places - like we had on the bus trip. I can eat American-style steaks or watch American-style entertainment back home, thank you. There's a world of great local seafood there, and we didn't taste ANY of it!

Teardrop camping is kind of like that. No cable or internet. But, not as much solitude at the gatherings I often meant to. We usually camped in State Parks, which had good facilities, but also generally have good biking and hiking trails. I had plenty of places to go off alone, and always brought a good hammock with me, and took many a nice nap in it.

CD

Teardrop? I've never heard that expression before?

Camping trips have been of two sorts for me: Younger years - with family, and in tents, and it was usually just us and another family we'd been long term friends with. No electric, bring your own food and cook it, do a little hiking together or alone.

More recent camping trips - a bunch of us get together (from my spiritual/religious community) and go camp at yearly festivals. We've gotten to know each other over the years, and we have a communal dining area where (depending on the nature of the particular locale) we cook together or just simply pay for food to be provided to us. Communal places have electricity, but otherwise I personally stay in my tent, without electric hookups. If possible I park it under a tree so I have a shaded place to retreat to mid-afternoons when I need to recharge my Introvert Batteries. (One camping trip I try to go to most every October has dorms for people, but I'm a light sleeper, and snoring gets to me.)

I don't ever miss electric or the regular amenities when I camp. It is nice to have actual showers available, however. (Although another place I go to some Augusts has enclosed solar showers - which are much better than one would expect!.)

Yeah I've seen them - you do see a few of them around in Europe, and we've looked around a couple at a shows. They're pretty impressive but they're far too big for us :p: I'd hate to try to drive something that size through some of the tiny English or French villages we've been too. Plus many of the nicest places to stay have a maximum size of around 8-10m - and even ones that don't have a maximum size are often limited by narrow roadways and overhanging trees.

This one is pretty much identical to ours...its 7.5m long (plus the bike rack on the back) and its plenty big enough for the two of us:

This is the kind of thing we are looking at, but as I mentioned we will decide when it gets nearer to the time. 7m or less is better for us at the moment as we can then book online with our local ferry company Condor Ferries. Anything over 7m you have to go to their office and book in person.
We like the layout with a rear U shaped lounge/bedroom but could be persuaded otherwise.

We intend staying on Motorhome aires, France Passion sites, British 'stopovers' or whatever they're called quite a lot, especially once I am retired and we start long timing in Europe.

Swift Lifestyle

Yeah I remember seeing that a few years ago....some people really aren't fit to drive!

I'm always amazed how little holiday a lot of people in the US get :( I work for a global company and our functional teams have members located in many different countries and each is employed according to local employment laws (a real headache when trying to manage people!). I remember when my manager was based in the US....I'm not sure how many days holiday she got, but I do remember that she only got about 3 months maternity leave (which most of us in Europe found pretty shocking).

In the UK by law employers have to give staff 5.6 weeks holiday (including bank holidays, pro-rata for part timers) - so for a full time worker that comes out at 20 days + 8 bank holidays. I think most good companies offer more....I get 30: 25 days standard plus 5 extra for length of service (which I qualified for after 5 years). My company also allows us to buy extra days holiday if we want.

Yes, same here.
Because of the pay grade I'm on I get 25 days, then I get another3 or 5 days due to long service, then because we work shifts which include Bank Holidays we get those Bank Holidays back as extra holiday allowance so I typically get something like 36 days holiday.
I also have the choice of claiming overtime as extra pay or of taking it off as TOIL (time off in lieu). so with the amount of overtime we have to work due to late planes I can add quite a few days on to that total.

This is the kind of thing we are looking at, but as I mentioned we will decide when it gets nearer to the time. 7m or less is better for us at the moment as we can then book online with our local ferry company Condor Ferries. Anything over 7m you have to go to their office and book in person.
We like the layout with a rear U shaped lounge/bedroom but could be persuaded otherwise.

We intend staying on Motorhome aires, France Passion sites, British 'stopovers' or whatever they're called quite a lot, especially once I am retired and we start long timing in Europe.

Swift Lifestyle

France Passion: Great stopovers with your motorhome in France

With us (not that I can speak for the whole of the US, but every private section job I've ever had has been this way), the number of days on paper, once you throw in federal holidays, doesn't look that bad comparatively, it's always been the attitude employers take toward vacation time, which is an earned benefit, and holidays.

Every place I've ever worked, there's always cajoling, and sometimes downright bullying over taking time off. There have been restrictive policies (like the ones I described earlier), and other formalities that can make it actually difficult to take earned time off.

I've seen managers portray workers who take vacation as not contributing their all to the team, as being lazy, called "timeclock-punchers," called out in staff meetings upon their return ("Well, everyone, let's welcome TastyReuben back, who's been lazy for the last 10 days, while we were all here working...must be nice..."). I was once told to "go ahead and work from home" over Presidents' Day, and when I laughed and said, "Nice try, that's a federal holiday, I'm not working," my manager said, "It's not like anyone does anything for Presidents' Day, it's not a real holiday, like Christmas or Thanksgiving." Hey, it's a federal holiday! It's a day off! Deal with it!

Because of all that, over the years, I've developed into quite a d!ck when it comes to my holidays and vacation time. I've never lost a day of vacation or failed to take a federal holiday. I even use every last hour of my "personal absence" time (aka, sick time). Best thing in the world was when employers here finally agreed to quit tying it to actually being sick, and agreed to let it be used for any unforeseen emergency absence, scheduled appointment, etc. First line managers still try to pull the "I need to see a doctor's note" crap from time to time, though.

Comp time...being salaried, not eligible for that, and I've always found it funny how employers are a-ok with employers working 50...60...70 hours a week, but are never ok with an employee saying, "I need to leave a couple of hours early tomorrow." :laugh:

Even though I'm salaried, I'm meticulous with my timekeeping, and I track my own time, so I know how much I really worked in a week, versus what my time report says (another joke, as we're strictly forbidden from ever reporting more than 40 hours a week, no matter how much we worked), and I find ways to get my time back.

I asked for a couple of hours off a few years ago, back when we were doing a major upgrade, and I was working between 60-70 hours a week, and my manager snapped, "What, you expect to get paid for f*****g off?!" Well, that's a two-way street. I don't expect to get paid for "f*****g off," and you shouldn't expect me to work for free. Simple as that.

With us (not that I can speak for the whole of the US, but every private section job I've ever had has been this way), the number of days on paper, once you throw in federal holidays, doesn't look that bad comparatively, it's always been the attitude employers take toward vacation time, which is an earned benefit, and holidays.

Every place I've ever worked, there's always cajoling, and sometimes downright bullying over taking time off. There have been restrictive policies (like the ones I described earlier), and other formalities that can make it actually difficult to take earned time off.

I've seen managers portray workers who take vacation as not contributing their all to the team, as being lazy, called "timeclock-punchers," called out in staff meetings upon their return ("Well, everyone, let's welcome TastyReuben back, who's been lazy for the last 10 days, while we were all here working...must be nice..."). I was once told to "go ahead and work from home" over Presidents' Day, and when I laughed and said, "Nice try, that's a federal holiday, I'm not working," my manager said, "It's not like anyone does anything for Presidents' Day, it's not a real holiday, like Christmas or Thanksgiving." Hey, it's a federal holiday! It's a day off! Deal with it!

Because of all that, over the years, I've developed into quite a d!ck when it comes to my holidays and vacation time. I've never lost a day of vacation or failed to take a federal holiday. I even use every last hour of my "personal absence" time (aka, sick time). Best thing in the world was when employers here finally agreed to quit tying it to actually being sick, and agreed to let it be used for any unforeseen emergency absence, scheduled appointment, etc. First line managers still try to pull the "I need to see a doctor's note" crap from time to time, though.

Comp time...being salaried, not eligible for that, and I've always found it funny how employers are a-ok with employers working 50...60...70 hours a week, but are never ok with an employee saying, "I need to leave a couple of hours early tomorrow." :laugh:

Even though I'm salaried, I'm meticulous with my timekeeping, and I track my own time, so I know how much I really worked in a week, versus what my time report says (another joke, as we're strictly forbidden from ever reporting more than 40 hours a week, no matter how much we worked), and I find ways to get my time back.

I asked for a couple of hours off a few years ago, back when we were doing a major upgrade, and I was working between 60-70 hours a week, and my manager snapped, "What, you expect to get paid for f*****g off?!" Well, that's a two-way street. I don't expect to get paid for "f*****g off," and you shouldn't expect me to work for free. Simple as that.

Comp time? Compensation?

It's apples and oranges obviously, two different cultures despite the similarities between us.

And I don't want to give the impression that this is some kind of Utopia either, we are still subject to rules, and everyone is a little jittery over the Covid backlash and possible redundancies.

You mentioned sick time. I am allowed to self report for no more than 3 days, after that I must have a doctors sick note. But my sick time should be entered into a system called the Bradford Factor. The Bradford Factor is a scoring system that adds more weight to the number of times I've reported ill in a year rather than the length of time ill. So a two or three week absence for appendicitis would generate a low score, while missing several days off because I was hungover and 'pretending' to be ill would generate a high score and an interview with management to ascertain the problem.

I'm very lucky really in that I have a niche position. There are very few peeps with my skillset on the island so I am reasonably well paid and hopefully fairly secure. Any replacement will need extensive off island training and somewhere around 6/9 months + before they can undertake full duties so they tend to try to hang on to us.

Back
Top Bottom