Anyone going on holiday?

I want to go on a vacation but covid has made that out of the question. i was aiming at Folly Beach or some similar Low Country destination in late summer or early fall.

One of the best holidays I ever had was a week on a houseboat. There was no wifi or cell signal. It was off season so there were no people. We just floated around on the river during the day in a covered boat, whatever you call those things, grilled dinner at night, went for walks around the lake and read and slept. There was no tv or cable. It was truly remarkable how rejuvenated I felt after a week away from all stressful media and work.

I really want to do that again.

Teardrop camping is kind of like that. No cable or internet. But, not as much solitude at the gatherings I often meant to. We usually camped in State Parks, which had good facilities, but also generally have good biking and hiking trails. I had plenty of places to go off alone, and always brought a good hammock with me, and took many a nice nap in it.

CD

Oh, you should see what motorhomes are like in the US.

First, size is pretty much no limit. Well, no more that 55-feet (16.75 meters).

CD
Yeah I've seen them - you do see a few of them around in Europe, and we've looked around a couple at a shows. They're pretty impressive but they're far too big for us :p: I'd hate to try to drive something that size through some of the tiny English or French villages we've been too. Plus many of the nicest places to stay have a maximum size of around 8-10m - and even ones that don't have a maximum size are often limited by narrow roadways and overhanging trees.

This one is pretty much identical to ours...its 7.5m long (plus the bike rack on the back) and its plenty big enough for the two of us:

Yeah I've seen them - you do see a few of them around in Europe, and we've looked around a couple at a shows. They're pretty impressive but they're far too big for us :p: I'd hate to try to drive something that size through some of the tiny English or French villages we've been too. Plus many of the nicest places to stay have a maximum size of around 8-10m - and even ones that don't have a maximum size are often limited by narrow roadways and overhanging trees.

This one is pretty much identical to ours...its 7.5m long (plus the bike rack on the back) and its plenty big enough for the two of us:

Even at only 7.5M, I'm sure you still run into places over there that you can't go. I assume you plan ahead for that.

CD

The cooking issue is going to be a problem for us, as far as any near-term vacation plans go, as I generally refuse to cook anything when I'm on vacation.

We're supposed to fly to Florida (wedding) in October. The hotel room we have has cooking facilities (two-burner cooktop, microwave, that sort of set-up), and I'm all for cancelling and not going, but it'll cause a huge family issue on my wife's side if we do that, so she's floating the possibility of renting a car, driving down, packing our own food for the drive, then cooking basic stuff in the room, and all I can think is, "So you get a vacation while I'm stuck cooking, making sandwiches, etc? Hmmmmm...I don't think so!"

The cooking issue is going to be a problem for us, as far as any near-term vacation plans go, as I generally refuse to cook anything when I'm on vacation.

We're supposed to fly to Florida (wedding) in October. The hotel room we have has cooking facilities (two-burner cooktop, microwave, that sort of set-up), and I'm all for cancelling and not going, but it'll cause a huge family issue on my wife's side if we do that, so she's floating the possibility of renting a car, driving down, packing our own food for the drive, then cooking basic stuff in the room, and all I can think is, "So you get a vacation while I'm stuck cooking, making sandwiches, etc? Hmmmmm...I don't think so!"

How long are you supposed to be staying?

Even at only 7.5M, I'm sure you still run into places over there that you can't go. I assume you plan ahead for that.

CD
Yes I do....if we're planning on going somewhere I think might be a problem I make extensive use of google satellite and streetview (where its available) when planning. We've only come across a handful of places so far and even in our previous motorhome (which was under 7m) its not so much the length that's the problem, its the width and height in villages and towns with old roads and walls.

Although we use a sat nav app which allows you to enter your dimensions its only as good a the mapping data...and whilst height is usually shown width often isn't! As you can see from this place which we came across on our very first trip to France in a motorhome. When we left the stopover the sat nav wanted us to drive up through the village.....which we totally ignored because we knew there was no way we'd get through :D
Coucy.jpg

I don't mind doing the cooking on holiday...but a lot of that is because I'm cooking new things I've bought in the local supermarkets so its different to what I'd cook at home. Plus I tend to keep things quick and simple....and there's often a bottle of wine on the go at the same time :okay:

The washing up on the other hand.........

Yes I do....if we're planning on going somewhere I think might be a problem I make extensive use of google satellite and streetview (where its available) when planning. We've only come across a handful of places so far and even in our previous motorhome (which was under 7m) its not so much the length that's the problem, its the width and height in villages and towns with old roads and walls.

Although we use a sat nav app which allows you to enter your dimensions its only as good a the mapping data...and whilst height is usually shown width often isn't! As you can see from this place which we came across on our very first trip to France in a motorhome. When we left the stopover the sat nav wanted us to drive up through the village.....which we totally ignored because we knew there was no way we'd get through :D
View attachment 42987

I don't mind doing the cooking on holiday...but a lot of that is because I'm cooking new things I've bought in the local supermarkets so its different to what I'd cook at home. Plus I tend to keep things quick and simple....and there's often a bottle of wine on the go at the same time :okay:

The washing up on the other hand.........
For me, a large part of "vacation" is "what restaurant are we going to for breakfast/lunch/supper?," especially if it's somewhere like Orlando, where I'm not that interested in the locale, but there are more restaurants than just about anywhere else.

Sitting in Orlando and making my own grilled cheese sandwich...I don't see the point in even going. I can stay home and do that. :)

There is a famous bridge in the US. It even has a webcam and its own website. It is one of those things you don't set out to watch, but get sucked in.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USu8vT_tfdw

CD

Spent mine at home back in March when I was sick for 2 weeks. Even after 10 years I only get 1 week.
I get four weeks, having been with the company 14 years. I'll get five weeks after I get to 25 years, which is to say, I'll never get five weeks, because I'll be long gone by then.

Five weeks is the max anyone gets here, from the CEO on down.

I get four weeks, having been with the company 14 years. I'll get five weeks after I get to 25 years, which is to say, I'll never get five weeks, because I'll be long gone by then.

Five weeks is the max anyone gets here, from the CEO on down.

I get as much vacation time as I want... but, I don't get paid for it.

CD

There is a famous bridge in the US. It even has a webcam and its own website. It is one of those things you don't set out to watch, but get sucked in.

CD
Yeah I remember seeing that a few years ago....some people really aren't fit to drive!

Even after 10 years I only get 1 week.
I'm always amazed how little holiday a lot of people in the US get :( I work for a global company and our functional teams have members located in many different countries and each is employed according to local employment laws (a real headache when trying to manage people!). I remember when my manager was based in the US....I'm not sure how many days holiday she got, but I do remember that she only got about 3 months maternity leave (which most of us in Europe found pretty shocking).

In the UK by law employers have to give staff 5.6 weeks holiday (including bank holidays, pro-rata for part timers) - so for a full time worker that comes out at 20 days + 8 bank holidays. I think most good companies offer more....I get 30: 25 days standard plus 5 extra for length of service (which I qualified for after 5 years). My company also allows us to buy extra days holiday if we want.

Yeah I remember seeing that a few years ago....some people really aren't fit to drive!

I'm always amazed how little holiday a lot of people in the US get :( I work for a global company and our functional teams have members located in many different countries and each is employed according to local employment laws (a real headache when trying to manage people!). I remember when my manager was based in the US....I'm not sure how many days holiday she got, but I do remember that she only got about 3 months maternity leave (which most of us in Europe found pretty shocking).

In the UK by law employers have to give staff 5.6 weeks holiday (including bank holidays, pro-rata for part timers) - so for a full time worker that comes out at 20 days + 8 bank holidays. I think most good companies offer more....I get 30: 25 days standard plus 5 extra for length of service (which I qualified for after 5 years). My company also allows us to buy extra days holiday if we want.

Yes, people in Yurrip get much better time off, all around. Over here, companies worship "productivity," which means how much can one employee do in a year. Well, if they work 50 hours a week, on a straight salary, no overtime pay, they can produce a lot. With 60 hours a week, they can increase "productivity" even more. Time off hurts productivity. So, we have a very "productive" workforce.

When I worked for a big company, I told my people to get their work done, and go home. I was lucky, because my boss, the CEO, felt the same way.

CD

Back
Top Bottom