Anyone play an instrument?

It can also be hard to maintain a relationship if traveling on the road, I would imagine.
My wife had zero interest in anything I was doing musically. She was ok with it, but not interested in it at all.

For six or seven years, I worked as a part-time performing musician, went on a few in-state and regional tours (using vacation time from my real job), and we had steady work, and she saw me play…twice, and that was probably two times too many for her. :laugh:

I play small towns..our gigs are usually social affairs with wives, girlfriends, adult kids, friends all attending..it's been more of hobby all of these years and I never really gave it full time attention..although, looking back I've had some busy years playing with different bands at one time and two of those years was playing in a house band hosting an open stage one night a week..I think it was a Thursday..So, that was pretty much 50 gigs a year right there..then, add another one or two every weekend.....it added up..but, for the most part, when the kids came along it was time to get a job and go to work..

Last edited:
Here are my current drum kits.
60’s Gretsch Progressive Jazz
60’s Gretcsh Name Band
New Ludwig Classic MaplesView attachment 81965

I had a Slingerland Buddy Rich kit in Marine Pearl. It was very similar to your Gretsch Jazz kit. It was ruined in a fire. The kit didn't burn, but the wood shells cracked from the extreme heat. It never sounded right after the fire.

Screen Shot 2022-03-06 at 7.47.23 PM.jpg

CD

Nothing is useless. NEVER destroy your kid´s illusions, but make it very clear that, if he is not focussed, he will not be successful.
I studied with a guy who played guitar. From the East End of London. He actually learned to play the lute, and we gave concerts at college - John Dowland Lute Songs.
This guy graduated with a 2:1.
He then went on to work as a session guitarist.
In 1981, Paul McCartney and Wings brought him on board as lead guitar.
He´s now a millionaire and lives in LA.

One of my bandmates in High School played the guitar. She went on to be the lead guitar player for Michael Jackson's world tours. But, that is the exception, not the rule in music.

CD

We actually love polka! One of the best things about living in Minnesota was being able to go to Nye’s Polonaise Room to see The World’s Most Dangerous Polka Band:

That was what we did every couple of months. Just today, I was wearing my “Polka Like A Rock Star” shirt!

I would have never guessed you to be a polka fan. Oh wait, I did guess. :laugh:

CD

Back
Top Bottom