Anyone play an instrument?

My wife got an I mac for the living room desk. I can move, copy, paste and store photos using Microsoft but not the I mac. I don’t care to learn either. I have to go upstairs and sit at my drum set to go on the laptop. It has all become too complicated.
Sitting at the drum set could be quite distracting. Who wants to be on the computer when there are musical instruments around? Although I always wondered if drummers found playing beats boring without some guitar and bass involved?

We have 6 guitars upstairs and a Marshall stack, BTW. Only one of the guitars is electric, and that is the Les Paul Studio guitar I bought for my husband for Christmas about 20 years ago. I also have an electric pickup that I use with my Alvarez Yairi and channel through my Roland keyboard amp when I want to make a little noise, LOL. Yeah, I don't have my keyboards anymore, I gave them to my oldest stepdaughter when she was 15 and I have no idea what happened to them when she moved out so long ago. I know she acquired a husband and kid but no evidence of the keyboards anymore. And I am not going to bother asking.

Last edited:
Sitting at the drum set could be quite distracting. Who wants to be on the computer when there are musical instruments around? Although I always wondered if drummers found playing beats boring without some guitar and bass involved?

We have 6 guitars upstairs and a Marshall stack, BTW. Only one of the guitars is electric, and that is the Les Paul Studio guitar I bought for my husband for Christmas about 20 years ago. I also have an electric pickup that I use with my Alvarez Yairi and channel through my Roland keyboard amp when I want to make a little noise, LOL. Yeah, I don't have my keyboards anymore, I gave them to my oldest stepdaughter when she was 15 and I have no idea what happened to them when she moved out so long ago. I know she acquired a husband and kid but no evidence of the keyboards anymore. And I am not going to bother asking.

Okay off topic way too much here, sorry!
I’m still active but thanks to the pandemic it has really cut down on gigs. Now that things are ready to start up again, our guitar
Player/ sound guy has come down with covid. He has been battling Lymphoma for a few years and this is giving him lots of trouble. Not sure when we’ll play next. Just cancelled a few more. Should be playing tonight. Oh, well

I’m still active but thanks to the pandemic it has really cut down on gigs. Now that things are ready to start up again, our guitar
Player/ sound guy has come down with covid. He has been battling Lymphoma for a few years and this is giving him lots of trouble. Not sure when we’ll play next. Just cancelled a few more. Should be playing tonight. Oh, well
Sorry to hear that.

I know TR is a musician, and our judge (in the March 2022, Timenspace) is a pianist! I am betting there are a few others who like to play or have in the past. And Windigo sings.

I haven't played much lately and definitely no gigs in the past 30 years or so but I still love to play, and I sing when I cook and when I am drinking, which often coincide, LOL!

Edited to add that I never had seen this thread somehow. Must have been busy at the time.

Last edited:
MG or TR, maybe we should have a musical thread somewhere and these topics can be moved? I know TR is a musician, and our judge is a pianist! I am betting there are a few others who like to play or have in the past. Windigo sings.

Done - so the last few posts are now in this thread.

Janis Joplin was from Port Arthur. She went to the same High School that I went to -- years apart, of course.

CD
Yeah, you weren't born yet when she went to school there.

Yeah, you weren't born yet when she went to school there.

I knew your avatar photo was reminding me of someone. Its been niggling me for a ages and now I know who. I was awe-struck by her singing back in the day:

1646516603829.png

I knew your avatar photo was reminding me of someone. Its been niggling me for a ages and now I know who. I was awe-struck by her singing back in the day:

View attachment 81911
That's a good photo of her. I saw plenty where she didn't look that great, but probably after she started drug bingeing...I dunno. I can say I sound nothing like her, though.

I graduated in Music - I´ve got a B.Mus from Goldsmiths, London. My instrument was my voice: bass-baritone. I also played the piano.
I´ve sung Handel´s Messiah in the Royal Albert Hall, St Paul´s Cathedral, the South Bank - and in various other places as a soloist.
I sang the Bach B Minor Mass in the Carnegie Hall in 1974, sang in the JF Kennedy Center the same trip, and have probably sung in more cathedrals in the UK than most people have ever visited. I used to get calls from Canterbury Cathedral:
"Hey - can you do Evensong on Thursday? My bass has gone down with a cold..."
And I´d be there.
Then, in 1976-77- I just gave it all up.

I can play a recorder at basic level. That's where it ends. Although, I've been practising whistling along to theme tunes on TV for the last few years. I wish I was joking but...

...in fact I think whistling is an overlooked music form. Is anyone else here a whistler?

I graduated in Music - I´ve got a B.Mus from Goldsmiths, London. My instrument was my voice: bass-baritone. I also played the piano.
I´ve sung Handel´s Messiah in the Royal Albert Hall, St Paul´s Cathedral, the South Bank - and in various other places as a soloist.
I sang the Bach B Minor Mass in the Carnegie Hall in 1974, sang in the JF Kennedy Center the same trip, and have probably sung in more cathedrals in the UK than most people have ever visited. I used to get calls from Canterbury Cathedral:
And I´d be there.

I'm suitably impressed! You gave it up because?

...in fact I think whistling is an overlooked music form. Is anyone else here a whistler?
I’ll admit I’m a terrible whistler, and it is under appreciated. A lot of people can whistle tunelessly, some people think they can whistle a melody…until they’re put against an instrument and they suddenly realize keeping the pitch isn't nearly as easy as they thought… :whistling:

I can play a recorder at basic level. That's where it ends. Although, I've been practising whistling along to theme tunes on TV for the last few years. I wish I was joking but...

My husband can a little, his mother is fantastic. She can even do a spot-on vibrato with her whistle, so fantastic!

I’ll admit I’m a terrible whistler, and it is under appreciated. A lot of people can whistle tunelessly, some people think they can whistle a melody…until they’re put against an instrument and they suddenly realize keeping the pitch isn't nearly as easy as they thought… :whistling:
I can keep pitch, but I do it weird. I suck air in to whistle, I can't do it on exhale at all. And my range is meh.

And I´d be there.
That's fantastic!

I knew we had a talented bunch of artists in here!

I haven't played the drums in a good 15 years. I'm sure I would suck now.

BTW, working with photos on the iMac is easy. It wouldn't take you long to learn.

CD

Back
Top Bottom